7 7.53%
  • CB

3 3.23%
  • S

2 2.15%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Looking ahead.....

I know this is very permature but bear with me here.

It seems that most of the discussions around the needs of our team are focused on the WR position. We're only 3 games into the regular season so we really don't know if Robinson, Gibson and/or Gilyard are going to develop into solid players yet. It's pretty safe to say at least in my opinion that Clayton and Amendola are in the solid category already.

Also this most recent injury to Steven Jackson (again) has me even more upset about the lack of depth at the RB position. That in itself may not be a fair concern on my part. The same thought applies here, it's only been 3 games and Darby just showed some flash last Sunday. Hey maybe just maybe one of these backup RB's will develop into more than I or any of us expect.

So really what is our biggest area of concern for the future?
    Last edited by laram0; -09-30-2010 at 09:24 AM.

San Diego Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Looking ahead.....

With Steven Jackson getting injured, getting him a healthy back-up should be primary. But Kenneth Darby could be a reliable back-up.

I would say Defensive end, we rarely get sacks on the qb, and with Leornd little retiring. We do not have a pass rush. Let's get someone to help out Chris long on the other end

DPskywalker is offline Registered User

It's not something that's addressed in the media often, but our OLB's are not NFL-starter caliber players.

Our WR's are showing blatant improvement and our DE's are getting pressure. Our OLB's are getting killed on the run.

Also, in regard to RB's, SJ is 27 (I think). He's got plenty left in the tank.

Judaxi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DPskywalker View Post
    It's not something that's addressed in the media often, but our OLB's are not NFL-starter caliber players.

Our WR's are showing blatant improvement and our DE's are getting pressure. Our OLB's are getting killed on the run.

Also, in regard to RB's, SJ is 27 (I think). He's got plenty left in the tank.
    SJ39 has also touched the ball more than any other rb since 2006. It's not just age, but carries (think Clinton Portis). I really think we need a good 2nd rb to help keep the Predator fresh and healthy.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

2011 - wr
    2012 - rb
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

39thebeast is offline Registered User

WR I think we have a pretty good number 2 guy in Clayton and a nice slot/3 in Amendola both I think should and will be resigned. You also have Avery, Gibson, Gillyard, and Danario Alexander who will be still under contract. I think it would be in Bradfords best interest to continue to add weapons around him similar to what the colts do to Peyton Manning. This a deep WR class in the draft and FA finding a number 1 receiver would be near the top of my list.

Our current sack leader James Hall is in his mid 30's. Here's a name to think about a couple months from now Mathias Kiwunuka. Hes a UFA and already is near the top of the league with 4 sacks. The giants already have big money tied up in 4 other DEs Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyura, Jason Piere Paul, and hybrid Chris Canty they also have to wrap up Eli's favorite target Steve Smith. Spags coached the Kiwi he can also play some SLB. He would cost alot, but he is a premiere pass rusher and well worth it. Maybe Kroenke would like to make a splash with his first FA signing.

Getting way ahead of myself considereing we might not even have football next year but, drafting Julio Jones, Aj Green, Jon Baldwin, or Michael Floyd as well as signing Kiwi would be a pretty good off season haul.

DistantRam is offline Registered User

There are two ways of looking at this question.

Either we address the greatest immediate need, which is a number one wide receiver, or we look at each position in depth, in which case it's either our outside linebackers or our safeties which need the most help.

I'd love us to draft Green in the first round next April but we may need to trade up in order to do so. I can't see Atogwe still being here next year, so we'll need to replace him. Adding a pass-rush threat opposite Long, ideally through free agency, would also help us enormously and I agree that we should go for Kiwanuka.

So, to answer the question, it's a true number one WR that we really need the most.
    Last edited by DistantRam; -09-30-2010 at 01:06 PM.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

wr then rb. Yes we lack depth at rb but we still have SJack and our back ups aren't bad. It would be nice to have a top notch back up because Steven gets hurt a lot and he's getting close to the end(he's over 1,500 carries).

Still we don't even have a true #1 wr and we still lack a big guy and a burner.

stl7 is offline Registered User

Our offense seems to be tied down when jackson is in the game. He gets hurt and all the sudden we open it up and move the ball to 16 straight points. Im not saying he is not good because he has done a lot for this team but i would like to see a speed guy come in and really change things up for us

fearsome foursome is online now Registered User

I think we need to draft a running back first. The two back system is becoming popular for a reason. It would keep SJ39 healthy and fresh longer and if he does get injured then you have a starter quality back ready to go. After the center and the quarterback, the running back handles the ball the most.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

I went with DT, but why isn't the o-line an option?

DistantRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fearsome foursome View Post
    I think we need to draft a running back first. The two back system is becoming popular for a reason. It would keep SJ39 healthy and fresh longer and if he does get injured then you have a starter quality back ready to go. After the center and the quarterback, the running back handles the ball the most.
    While a quality back-up to Jackson is definitely needed, our opponents will still be able to stack the box against him if we don't have a legitimate deep threat to stretch the field.

Alec22 is offline Registered User

At each position I can point to a guy with potential to help us down the road. This is why I voted for saftey. What young saftey do we have to develop that you are excited about? Not OJ, not butler, not dahl, and not stewart. Easily fixable by a 2nd rd pick etc. Then DT

txramsfan is offline Registered User

It's a QB league and if it's a QB league then the Rams need a WR of epic proportions to go along with a 50 million dollar QB.

TerminusEst is offline Registered User

I think Baldwin will drop to the second, as he'll be rated behind Green, Floyd, and Jones. So I'd rather draft say, Quinn in the first and then a WR in the second. Help Long out some.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast