Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RuffRams

Thread: Looking around the league, I have a huge sigh of relief right now.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Looking around the league, I have a huge sigh of relief right now.

Wow, I do not want to think about what situation we would be in without Fisher.

Do you guys see what randos everyone is hiring.

Greg Schiano - Tampa Bay
    Pagano* - Colts
    Dennis Allen - Raiders

We were easy to say Ray Horton or Chud. But ofcourse it would have been harder than that if we didn't get fisher. So glad we got Fisher and didn't go through the process and get a very unproven guy.

So people who are not a fan of the Fisher hire. You don't know how good we have it made by getting him this offseason.
    Last edited by RuffRams; -01-26-2012 at 02:49 PM.
    FestusRam likes this.

Re: Looking around the league, I have a huge sigh of relief right now.

delete this post please
    Last edited by RuffRams; -01-26-2012 at 03:51 PM.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

"Rando?" You mean Chuck Pagano... These guys aren't rando's just because you don't know them, there just risky options. I do prefer Fisher by miles ahead of all three of these guys though.

I know schiano, allen, and pagano. I don't mean Ranod as in someone I don't know. I just meant it as someone with minimal NFL experience and what you said very risky options. I might have came out in a wrong way originally on the thread. In conclusion, I really just want to address haters of the Fisher hire. What position would we be in if Fisher picked Dolphins. We might not have even picked up Horton or Chud and might have gotten a 'rando' with minimal experience. But I guess this is already understood

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Im glad too in the end with Fisher not my first or second choice but a heck of a lot more proven than the guys getting reeled in at the moment. I was initially a fence sitter, not minding if we didnt get him thinking i was liking Billick better anyways, but happy now.

I wonder if the other experienced guys (Gruden, Cowher, Billick) arent interested in rebuilding projects and will pretend to love their jobs or retirement until a play-off ready team becomes available. Betcha had the San Diego Chargers position came up, a few of these guys would suddenly miss the game too much to sit on the sidelines in a suit.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Schiano was pegged by Bill Belichick as being the next great NFL coach. Pagano headed up an amazing defense in Baltimore. So I dont really see how either of those options would be bad choices.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    Wow, I do not want to think about what situation we would be in without Fisher.

Do you guys see what randos everyone is hiring.

Greg Schiano - Tampa Bay
    Pagano* - Colts
    Dennis Allen - Raiders

We were easy to say Ray Horton or Chud. But ofcourse it would have been harder than that if we didn't get fisher. So glad we got Fisher and didn't go through the process and get a very unproven guy.

So people who are not a fan of the Fisher hire. You don't know how good we have it made by getting him this offseason.

Although I'm glad the Rams got Fisher, and I was one that stated as such before we landed him, you can't say "we're so lucky cuz we could of had so-and-so" until it all plays out. Say this next season or in two years. Anyone of those guys (not hired by the Rams) could be the next great HC, you never know. Who saw Harbaugh turning around the Whiners like he did? Better than Singletary? Yes, but to have the impact he had few saw coming.

Let's wait and see how it all unfolds before we thank our lucky stars. I remember these same conversations when Spags and McD were brought in.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    Although I'm glad the Rams got Fisher, and I was one that stated as such before we landed him, you can't say "we're so lucky cuz we could of had so-and-so" until it all plays out. Say this next season or in two years. Anyone of those guys (not hired by the Rams) could be the next great HC, you never know. Who saw Harbaugh turning around the Whiners like he did? Better than Singletary? Yes, but to have the impact he had few saw coming.

Let's wait and see how it all unfolds before we thank our lucky stars. I remember these same conversations when Spags and McD were brought in.
    True and its a good point you bring up Harbrough, because I can easily see Schiano turning out to be a Harbrough.

Everyone talks about this guy. Made a bottom of the barrel rutgers program respectable. So the record sucked but Rutgers is worse. I read some stuff on this guy that made me change my mind about him.

Rammed is offline Registered User

"@AdamSchefter: Not the first time this off-season Greg Schiano interviewed with NFL team. Sources say he was a finalist for Rams HC job."

So........hmmmmmm yeah

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

Huh, I didn't even catch that Schiano had taken the Tampa job. Just read an article last night about how Mike Sherman was the ONLY finalist and he would be hired by today ... no PFT either, I think that was SI or SN. No matter. Point is, not only do these guys know absolutely nothing, I think that the people who DO know actually enjoy playing games w/ them.
    If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    Schiano was pegged by Bill Belichick as being the next great NFL coach. Pagano headed up an amazing defense in Baltimore. So I dont really see how either of those options would be bad choices.
    Schiano coached Belichick's son, so I'd probably take the praise with a grain of salt. I'm not taking anything away from what he did at Rutgers, but some of the best college coaches have not enjoyed the same success in the NFL. In recent years, Petrino, Spurrier and Saban all come to mind as excellent college coaches who didn't last long in the pros.

The Ravens defense was good under Pagano, but when was the last time the Ravens defense wasn't good? He'll be the sixth Ravens defensive coach in recent years to land a head coaching job afterward (after Marvin Lewis, Mike Nolan, Jack Del Rio, Mike Singletary and Rex Ryan). So far, 4 out of the 5 before him have left behind sub .500 records.

Of the coaches that have won a Super Bowl in the last decade, Belichick, Gruden, Dungy and Coughlin were all in their second head coaching job by the time they won one. Cowher had been a head coach for more than a decade before he won his first championship. Payton, McCarthy and Tomlin (who took over a recent SB winner) are the only coaches in recent years who have won a Super Bowl within 5 years of taking their first head coaching position. There are no guarantees, but the odds are quite a bit better hiring a former HC with an above .500 record than hiring a coordinator or a college head coach.

MelloStang is offline Registered User

unproven guys dont get the money and maybe that is the thinking, they also may be trying to fill a void until better options come up, although i think by now the raiders need to pick someone and stick with them and give the team a real shot, changing coaches every one to two years when they are close is shooting themselves in the foot. Tampa was a team the coach just lost this season

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

The fan never knows for certain what they getting with a coach. John Harbaugh, Mike Smith and Mike McCarthy come to mind as guys I never even heard of who have been successful with their current teams. Assuming a "name" guy is the answer isn't always true.

Schiano definitely flew in under the radar on the Tampa Bay hire. Living in Jersey and following Rutgers football, he did a job here no one thought possible: making a laughingstock program relevant year after year. The track record of sucess for college coaches in the pros is not good (Saban, Spurrier, etc), but maybe he can beat the odds.

I do think Fisher was the absolute right call, given his past success/experience and the need to do something big to turn around a franchise which has been a disaster for years.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Ahhh... but all of those super successful college coaches were just that... successful. Schiano can barely say that he was mediocre! As the SI article about his hiring mentioned, the Big East is a BCS conference only because the BCS says so. The Big East sucks and even this year when anyone with a third of a good team could have won it, Rutgers was nowhere to be found.

If you can't succeed at Big East football game management... what are you going to do in the Pros?

One last point, I'm going to be interested in the new Indy regime. It could be a fun ride.
    I believe!