Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Looking back on the Rams 2011 Draft

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Looking back on the Rams 2011 Draft

Well, with all the buzz about the Rams inability to evaluate talent, I figured we could evaluate their draft picks for ourselves.

Round 1-Robert Quinn
    We knew Quinn was a gifted edge rusher that was very raw.
    He had missed a season due to suspension and hadn't played since he was 19.
    With that said, I think we've gotten a lot more out of him than we expected.
    5.0 sacks in 10 games thus far. Not to mention he hasn't even been on the field every down as he is still learning behind James Hall. Add on a blocked punt and tipped punt and hes a force. Whats really intriguing is hes still on 21! I know all of us can't wait until we see this young man molded into a premier edge rusher. It will happen.
    Grade-A

Round 2-Lance Kendricks
    Kendricks was a preseason favorite. He looked great in practice and in preseason games. Then when it all mattered he vanished. Drops devastated the development of Kendricks. He had so many crucial drops that killed his confidence. As of late though he seems to be coming around. Hes done well as a blocker too. He just needs to get more separation. I think Kendricks will pan out quite nicely given some development.
    Grade-C

Round 3-Austin Pettis
    Another target for Sammy. Pettis was known for his great hands and physical play. He started off slow but also is coming around as of late. He's made a couple of big plays including some crucial third down conversions. I like him as a punt returner. He's broke quite a few tackles as was only a couple away from breaking it big. Given the amount of talent at the position, I think the Rams made a pretty good decision here.
    Grade-B-

Round 4-Greg Salas
    If he only didn't get injured! That's just how it goes here in Rams nation. We all saw Salas' ability. He got the jitters with his first big chance, but since has proven to belong on this team. He is a major factor with Y.A.C. which is so crucial for a WR. He was elusive and hard to bring down. Him and Amendola should have a fierce battle for the slot position come next year. This, IMO, was a great 4th Round pick
    Grade-B+

Round 5-Jermale Hines
    Hines just couldn't cut it.
    Grade-C

It seems as if some people are forgetting the thin talent at the WR position in both the draft and FA. The only real bonafide draftees were Green and Jones. We were to good to draft either. After that it sort of was a crap shoot. I think Pettis and Salas were both great DP.

The draft overall seems pretty successful. However, it hasn't translated to this years record...

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Looking back on the Rams 2011 Draft

This was definitely Billy's best draft...so far (or is that facetious?).

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Fastcat is offline Registered User

How do u give hines a C? Is he even on the roster?

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    How do u give hines a C? Is he even on the roster?
    You can grade him lower it doesn't make a difference. He was a late rounder.

I was focusing more on rounds 1-4 obviously.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Lots of potential with these guys and I think the rams are only a coach away from being a great team.
    THOLTFAN81 and punahou like this.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I'd be more annoyed about the Hines pick being rubbish if Darrien Stewart hadn't come along

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

I reaIlly do think this year was one of the best drafts we have had in recent years.Our season has gone terrible but i rlly like the progression our 1-4 picks have showed so far.I think the Quinn pickup had some people scratching there heads like really another DE,but i think its obvious he was a great draft.He hasnt played in over a year be4 this season and he is alrdy producing.Not to mention he hasnt become an every down DE like Long,omg once that happens him and long consistently will be a force to reckon with.
    Agrajag likes this.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    This was definitely Billy's best draft...so far (or is that facetious?).
    Im not get too exited about this lot ? I think Quinn's the only one with great upside, and the Rams were very lucky he fell to 13th on the day. I think the rest of the picks went downhill from there. Its a typical Rams draft from the last twenty years, just another draft that will keep us in the doldrums longer.? Where's the star power every year.? When was is it the last time the Rams even had an electric PR/KR. To win consistently in this league, you need difference makers.!
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -11-30-2011 at 09:52 AM.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    Im not get too exited about this lot ? I think Quinn's the only one with great upside, and the Rams were very lucky he fell to 13th on the day. I think the rest of the picks went downhill from there. Its a typical Rams draft from the last twenty years, just another draft that will keep us in the doldrums longer.? Where's the star power every year.? When was is it the last time the Rams even had an electric PR/KR. To win consistently in this league, you need difference makers.!
    Nick Miller's 88 yard punt return was pretty electric
    TekeRam likes this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I think the 2011 draft (picks 1-4) is a rare bright spot in a season otherwise full of disappointment. I say this not because of the immense production we've seen from these players but because of the promise each holds. Quinn and Pettis have both made big strides and have improved. Likewise for Salas until the injury. And Kendricks can be a player if he keeps learning and puts it all together. If there is a sliver of hope for Devaney keeping his job, it lies with the draft picks and the pick ups like Amendola.

md8
    md8 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    Other than our first 2 picks, I still don't like this draft. We had so many holes on this team, pretty much needed everything except QB, starting RB, Slot WR and MLB. It was supposed to be a deep defensive draft. And we spent a 3rd and 4th to, at best, get a better Amendola? One of our few strengths. We can't afford to waste picks like that on #3 and #4 WRs. We need playmakers and starting talent.

Quote Originally Posted by md8 View Post
    Other than our first 2 picks, I still don't like this draft. We had so many holes on this team, pretty much needed everything except QB, starting RB, Slot WR and MLB. It was supposed to be a deep defensive draft. And we spent a 3rd and 4th to, at best, get a better Amendola? One of our few strengths. We can't afford to waste picks like that on #3 and #4 WRs. We need playmakers and starting talent.
    I don't blame them for taking two wide-outs in rounds 3 and 4.

The obvious plan for this draft was to get weapons for our sophomore franchise quarterback.

Pettis is a work in progress but is improving every week. He's coming along quite nicely. Salas was even better. Dude is simply hard for secondaries to bring down. Ofcourse, his ankle gets rolled up on and ends his season. That's not a particular injury I will be to worried about next season. He will be ready to go. I know Mcdaniels has been annoying people lately with his game plan and play calling, but Lloyd, Amendola, Salas, Pettis, and a offseason pick up(Blackmon?) sounds like a core he can thrive with. That's if we re-sign Lloyd, and we better.
    Last edited by FestusRam; -12-01-2011 at 02:45 AM.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Believe me no offense intended but the grades are to high. As always us diehard RAMS fans over project the talent on our team.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

sonnyjames is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Believe me no offense intended but the grades are to high. As always us diehard RAMS fans over project the talent on our team.
    No offense intended? Are you Spags with 46 seconds left in the half? ;o)

Rambos is online now Registered User

I agree this was a good draft still hard to tell what we got really still to early. Quinn does look the part wish Spags would play him more. last Sunday was the first time I saw Kendricks use his speed and get down field on two routes. One he made a nice catch the other Sam missed him, but he did get in the seam and deep quick. Salas love this kid he's big strong and never goes down on first contact. Pettis also shown he's going to be a good possession WR.

Would have been a great draft if rounds 5-7 where still on the team developing, we need to hit on some late rounders.

But yeah overall solid draft but we missed big time in FA this year.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast