throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Looking back at the Witherspoon/Gibson trade

As you know, just before the trade deadline the Rams traded LB Will Witherspoon to the Eagles for a fifth round draft pick in 2010 and rookie WR Brandon Gibson.

Witherspoon had played well after joining the Rams prior to the 2006 season, leading the team in tackles in 2006 with 113, and recording 100+ tackles and 7 sacks in 2007. However, his play in 2008 trailed off, with Witherspoon making only 72 tackles and recording just one sack, and one interception. It was thought that this drop off in production was due to niggling groin and shoulder injuries suffered during the year, but it seems that Witherspoon's play was just in decline. During the first 6 weeks of the 2009 year, Witherspoon had recorded just 33 tackles and no "impact plays" (impact plays being sacks, intcerceptions, forced fumbles etc).

The Rams realised that Spoon was set to earn $5 million over the two years after the 2009 year, and it seemed obvious that the team intended to cut him to save that money after the season was over. Instead, the linebacker desperate Philadelphia Eagles jumped in with a trade offer, and Witherspoon was shipped to Philly.

At first, the trade looked terrible for the Rams. A rookie WR and a fifth round pick for a player perceived to be one of the best on the Rams D did not seem like a good return. What was even worse was that Witherspoon, in his first game for the Eagles against the Washington Redskins, racked up 6 tackles, a sack, a forced fumble and an interception which he returned nine yards for a TD. Fans were desperate for Gibson to show something to justify the trade, but in his first appearance for the Rams against Detroit, he failed to make a reception in limited duty.

However, after Witherspoon's "wonder" game against Washington, he failed to make the same impact during the rest of the season. In his remaining ten regular season games for the Eagles he made 53 tackles and no impact plays. Even during the playoff game against the Cowboys he made 5 tackles and one assist, with no impact plays. Outside of that game against Washington, Witherspoon's 2009 season was averaging just 5-6 tackles a game and no impact plays. Not the kind of production you would want from a guy on his contract.

Gibson, on the other hand, came on strong after the Detroit game and the bye week. His first game for the Rams where he saw significant playing time was against the Saints, he put up 7 receptions for 93 yards. In fact, for the last 8 games of the season, no rookie had more receptions than Gibson. He made 34 catches, the same as ***** WR Michael Crabtree, and the next best rookie was Philadelphia's Jeremy Maclin with 30. Gibson also started 4 games once Keenan Burton went down with an injury.

In a move that the Rams would have made should Witherspoon have been in St. Louis, the Eagles released Witherspoon to avoid paying his contract over the next two years. The only difference here is that the Rams picked up a draft pick and a promising rookie WR for getting rid of Witherspoon, while the Eagles got nothing.

In all, i would say that despite the early indications, it was the Rams that came out on top in this trade. Even more so if Gibson continues to develop well as a wide receiver.

3STL9 Guest

Re: Looking back at the Witherspoon/Gibson trade

I didn't think the trade was bad then, don't now....especially if that fifth round pick pans out

shower beers is offline Registered User

I was waiting for a thread like this after I read that he was released. I have to admit, I failed to see a finish quite like this, but I'm certainly grateful it did!

Oh i didnt think it was bad then either, especially since it was obvious that Spoon was on his way out at the end of the year anyway. I think it was a good job getting Gibson out of the Eagles, as they didnt want to part with him.

Depending on the draft and FA, and how players recover from injuries, i can see Gibson as the third WR going into the season.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

I liked the trade at the time, and I like it even more now. Like shower_beers said, I was waiting for somebody to make this thread. I figured nobody had because it would involve admitting that the Rams organization did something right, so thanks for bringing this up.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

I took a wait and see on the trade, and due to my limited memory capacity, I am grateful you took the time to write this up! Thank you Mr. Tomahawk for the nice reporting.

Joe
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Oh i didnt think it was bad then either, especially since it was obvious that Spoon was on his way out at the end of the year anyway. I think it was a good job getting Gibson out of the Eagles, as they didnt want to part with him.

Depending on the draft and FA, and how players recover from injuries, i can see Gibson as the third WR going into the season.

I think that unless Gibson somehow regresses, it'll be Avery, Robinson and Gibson going forward, in no particular order.

Alec22 is offline Registered User

i didnt like it at the time, as i was wearing my spoon jersey that week and was sad to see one of the best players and characters (as a person) on the team move on, but it certainly was a good trade looking back as i now really like gibson and we picked up an extra pick.

TheRammer Guest

WoW were are the people that were probably irrate about it? lol CHALK ONE UP FOR THE FO! Have Faith!!!!

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Kept my mouth shut and reserved my judgement till the very end of the season, people sometimes need to be patient and see results before they even make opinions. I assume Gibson won't have a sophomore slump like Avery with Nolan Cromwell as our WRs coach, hopefully I'm right..

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I've been on board with the trading of players, not always with the cutting of players. Even now looking back, I wouldn't have cut Pisa or Draft.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) Guest

Perhaps this proves the FO shouldn't get ridiculously bashed every time they make a move?

What has the FO done since DeSpags has taken over that has really just been stupid?

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    I've been on board with the trading of players, not always with the cutting of players. Even now looking back, I wouldn't have cut Pisa or Draft.
    I was disappointed to see Pisa get cut, as he was a favourite of mine. But the fact is he was very injury prone. He struggled to make it through any season with the Rams without getting injured, and even if he could play he was often playing through an injury.
    What were his stats for the 2009 year? 2 games, 2 starts, 4 tackles and a trip to injured reserve with a knee injury. While it was disappointing to see the team cut Pisa, it was a smart move by the FO.

As for Draft, well he wasnt exactly a great LB anyway, and i feel his play didnt deserve what he was going to be paid. I think we got just as good from Paris Lenon and David Vobora as we did from Chris Draft, but obviously at a much cheaper price.

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

The trade was a sad, but good one. Witherspoon was getting old and was way past his prime. Gibson has proved to be a pretty solid and decent WR. I can't wait to see how he develops into our offense. Plus, we also recieved a fith rounder off him too. That could be the next Colston or Brady LOL.

Trevor is offline Registered User

This proves that in the long run it will be worth it.. People like instant results from a trade..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast