chiguy is offline Registered User

Looking for a Bright Side?

By far the best part of the game for me was watching our young receivers have a nice game. The play calling had something to do with it, as did having a decent QB'ing performance. However, there were lots of nice things to like about what they did today.

Avery -- only dropped one pass, had a really nice run after the catch for a first down, and actually showed a couple of good routes. My concern with him has been a failure to get separation and he actually got some today. That's a sign of improvement.

Burtton -- he showed the kind of game you can expect from a third WR in the league. He caught things thrown to him, ran a great inside-outside route to get open for a bomb (Boller over threw it by three yards), and operated both inside and outside.

Amendola -- he's a much better returner than Stanley and showed some decent hands in the passing game. He doesn't look like he runs great routes, but he's not a bad guy to have on your team if he performs like that.

Between Robinson's performances earlier in the season and today, I have a lot more hope for the WRs than I did three weeks ago. If -- and its a big if -- they start to do this more consistently, we can worry a little bit less about WR and focus more on other positions next offseason. That would be a big help.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Looking for a Bright Side?

Great post!

I agree with you. I was calling for the OC's head, but he showed improvement today as well. A lot better play calling resulted in a lot better play by our receivers.

We just need to improve that line...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

chiguy is offline Registered User

Play calling was *much* better today, save the first ten minutes of the second half. Still, it took them too long to take a shot down field.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    Play calling was *much* better today, save the first ten minutes of the second half. Still, it took them too long to take a shot down field.
    They should do that, first play of a drive. Have Jackson and Karney in the back, then launch one to Avery. It might work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I agree, the receivers stepped it up today and are showing signs of life. Now if the rest of the offense can do the same, we might be able to get something going, providing the mistake trend turns around.

Nice thread chiguy.

Lange is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    By far the best part of the game for me was watching our young receivers have a nice game. The play calling had something to do with it, as did having a decent QB'ing performance. However, there were lots of nice things to like about what they did today.

Avery -- only dropped one pass, had a really nice run after the catch for a first down, and actually showed a couple of good routes. My concern with him has been a failure to get separation and he actually got some today. That's a sign of improvement.

Burtton -- he showed the kind of game you can expect from a third WR in the league. He caught things thrown to him, ran a great inside-outside route to get open for a bomb (Boller over threw it by three yards), and operated both inside and outside.

Amendola -- he's a much better returner than Stanley and showed some decent hands in the passing game. He doesn't look like he runs great routes, but he's not a bad guy to have on your team if he performs like that.

Between Robinson's performances earlier in the season and today, I have a lot more hope for the WRs than I did three weeks ago. If -- and its a big if -- they start to do this more consistently, we can worry a little bit less about WR and focus more on other positions next offseason. That would be a big help.

Couldn't agree more man. The core as a whole did much better than in previous weeks and I think a number of things helped that. For one costly penalties seemed to be much else though there still were some and recievers weren't set back after a offensive push. Everyone just seemed to step up exactly as you described them and Boller did a pretty decent job getting them the ball today. If our recievers continue consistency like this they are sure developing into a solid core we can have faith in.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

If not for all the turnovers, this one looked winnable. There were a few drops, but our receivers also made some tough catches and picked up yards after the carry. It was also interesting to see SJ line up as a receiver on so many plays.

MOM
    MOM is offline Registered User

Bulger had a perfect passer rating, too!

(I know he played like 10 minutes, but still...)
    [SIGPIC]http://www.stickershoppe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MLRPANCmini.jpg[/SIGPIC]This is for Randy! GO BRM!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The receivers certainly did a better job of getting some separation and making things happen when they got the ball. I'm not sure I've seen anyone more open this season than Avery was on that play action bootleg pass. Burton is showing some good ability to make something happen in terms of YAC. Still, I think this unit is in desperate need for a true difference-making #1 receiver. But I think the receivers demonstrated to other teams that you can't just put 11 guys on Jackson and forget about the passing game completely.