AugustaRamFan is offline Registered User

Looking down the Road ... The Falcons

Here is a snipet from the Falcons Team Site.

Apparently, the Falcons are an early preseaon pick to make the playoffs. Hmmm!! I did not know that.

Game 2 could be a good test for the defense. The offense may have a better fate. Look for a high scoring battle. Last team with the ball may win.

Aug. 30, 2004

Although there is a buzz around the Falcons as being a contender to reach the playoffs, there still is plenty of cause for concern in Atlanta. QB Michael Vick may be healthy — well, relatively healthy following his minor hamstring problem — but the play of the Falcons’ defense has thrown up a red flag. Despite undergoing a coaching change — Wade Phillips is out, Ed Donatell is in — and a shift in schemes — bye-bye, 3-4; hello, 4-3 — this year’s Falcons have been giving up big plays and many points during the preseason. We’re told the problem goes much deeper than just a team adjusting to a new system. Although veterans Ray Buchanan, Tyrone Williams and Juran Bolden were dumped in favor of Jason Webster and rookie DeAngelo Hall, the changes haven’t really improved the “D” much. Hall is very talented, but he’s raw, and Webster isn’t exactly a star. Donatell hopes to get things straightened out, but he will have to get a bigger pass rush to take some pressure off the secondary.

...Keep in mind Hall we be out for 4-6 more weeks - minimum.

ARF

general counsel Guest

Re: Looking down the Road ... The Falcons

The physical presence of Dez at the falcons game should be worth at least ten additional points for us. Think of how motivated our squad will be knowing that the Grand Puba is in attendance. They are really, really going to miss dangelo hall. I watched him cover chad johnson like a blanket last week deep down the field. The kid has all the tools.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

There is no reason why we shouldn't put 40 points up on the 'cons D. They were thin at DT even before they went to 4-3. Now they are desparately thin. The only bright spot in their secondary will be on the shelf for 2 months and Keith Brooking can only do so much for the LBs. Here's how you beat Atlanta:

1. Steady dose of Jackson between the tackles, forcing their D to flood the box or lose 6 yards of earth everytime SJ touches the ball.
    2. In 2-back sets (which need to be early and often) run misdirection, playaction & slot-motion to Faulk
    3. Minimal TE sets. Stick with 3 wide on 2-back sets, and (my personal favorite) 4 wide with SJ as lone back. Occasional "I" or "offset" with Goodspeed blocking, but unless Faulk is running the ball, JG may just be getting in the way and taking a spot where we could have another wideout being covered by a LB.
    4. Don't even buy Landetta a plane ticket. We won't be needing a punter for this one.

Now as far as the 'cons O. They will have to take to the air. Dunn's evasive maneuver style & Vick's tuck-and-run answer to pressure won't work when you have 3 LBs that run like DBs. In the red zone, they can pound away with Duckett, but they've got to get there first. Their passing game will have to win the game for them and that means big games by Price & Crumpler with contributions from White and Jenkins. Does Vick have the accuracy & pocket presence to pull it off? Maybe, but personally I don't think so.

We march to Atlanta and roll the 'cons in their own dome.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

I expect to see a lot of blitzes in this game as Jim Mora will know that the only chance his D has is to blitz, blitz and blitz.
    Sprtsmac :football:

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sprtsmac
    I expect to see a lot of blitzes in this game as Jim Mora will know that the only chance his D has is to blitz, blitz and blitz.
    I hope you're right. If Bulger makes the right reads, he'll play catch with slot receivers all day long.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

Well if he makes the right reads and our o-line gives him the time to throw the ball, it should be an easy day.
    Sprtsmac :football: