evil Guest

Looking for your opinions and perspectives

Let me start off by stating i am not a Rams fan but a 9ers fan but am not here to bash your team or to inflame any tensions and i am not here to smack talk ...i'd rather have a discussion about football and get your perspective on things. Besides can i really talk ? We are stinking it up out there. And 9er forums are full of homerism and hatred right now.

After reading through your threads and posts i have seen some interesting things and some that make me go :O ... like the trade Steven Jackson talk. Personnally if you guys were to draft Mcfadden i'd be shocked. I think you'd be more likely to trade down a few spots at that point or go with one of the other prospects who could better assist your team. I see a lot of talk about both Long's (Chris and Jake). Both could be of help to your lines. I am a firm believer that games are won in the trenches and the Rams are in need of some imporvements to the O-Line specifically. On the D-line there could be some additions welcomed i would think. I would tink you would try to upgrade the secondary as well but am not so sure you would do so with your 1st pick. I think you guys should be drafting in the top 7. But who knows ? It will all depend on how you finish the season, you do have the talent on the Offensive side of the ball to score 40 a game and you should start to win a few soon. I honestly thought you were division contenders this year and did not believe we would be in the race honestly which we for the most part are not (barring a freaking miracle).

A lot of talk i see is geared like i said towards the Long's but how would you guys feel about drafting Glenn Dorsey ? What about Calais Campbell ? Kenny Phillips ? Malcom Jenkins ? James Laurinaitis ? Quentin Groves ? Sedrick Ellis ?

If you were to trade down a few or more how would you feel about Sam Baker Ryan Clady or Gosder Cherilus ?

It's still very early to determine who are the top 15 or so prospects without seeing pro day and combine numbers and without seeing the final few games and bowl games and seeing how they finish out their years thuis why i touched on quite a few names. I keep seeing the same few names getting tossed around here but am curious as to your feelings and opinions about some of the others that i mentioned as well.

Also do you think replacing Linehan is really the answer ? If so who do you think would be a good replacement would be ? How do you feel about the job Haslett has done and how do you feel about the offensive playcalling so far ?

Any and all opinions and perspectives would be welcomed guys and gals so let's hear em ....
    Last edited by evil; -11-09-2007 at 02:04 PM. Reason: spelling errors

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Looking for your opinions and perspectives

Awwww...this niner post isn't nearly as funny as the last one.

I'm not totally caught up on the whole first round worthy draft picks this year, but I've seen enough(being in SEC country) to know that I don't want any part of Dorsey or Cambell. I think the two of them put together good campaigns before coaches really had time and film to gameplan against them. Both are not having the years that were expected of them.

The reasons that I focus on the lines are two fold. First, we don't have depth or top talent on the o-line, and so I think we need to spend our second pick upgrading that. Maybe our third as well, depending on free agency. Second, our linebackers and offensive skill positions are set(as long as we keep Chillar) and our secondary only needs a strong safety while we need to find a second pro bowl defensive end, and those don't go on the market cheaply(thanks Freeney). Pass defense comes in two forms. Pass rush and pass coverage. You can get away with one consistently in that a strong coverage unit can cover long enough for a weak rush, and a strong rush unit doesn't give the QB the time to wait for the weak coverage to break down. The problem lies in that we have no pass rush after Little, and so that is where we need to focus. It's possible we can find a starting quality SS in free agency, or lower in the draft. Defensive ends are a little more rare.

moloch41 Guest

I think we should draft Jimmy Kennedy again- I'm sure once he steps his enormous form onto a football field again- it will look like it's the first time he's ever been in a professional football game by the way he plays...

keith m. klink Guest

welcome to the site , it's hard to discuss things with the ENEMY , (kiddin ) the linehan question , i was for giving him a 3rd year , but it just seems that the play calling is terrible , and ya i know , ya gotta play too your strength. but when they are all hurt , your not strong anywhere. if the rams did get rid of linehan , i would want a proven veteran coach. SHOTTENHEIMER -COWHER , to come in and stabilize this team . as for JACKSON , as of now ya injuries , injuries , blah blah blah . anyone who wants too trade him and grab MCFAD , is a TOOL , and a BONE SQUEEZER. as for the draft , i will give you what i think we should take position wise , as for players , way too early. 1-DE , 2-OTor S, 3- S or OT , whatever isn't taken in the 2nd . 4-QB , 5-DE , 6-LB , 7-OL.

IT IS IMPARITIVE THAT WE COME AWAY IN THE FIRST 2 RDS WITH STARTER CALIBUR PLAYERS , and that means a DE and an OT . we also need another SAFETY to team with J.CARTERand ATAGWE. we desperately need a QB to develope with the notion that he will take over 2nd string or backup duties in 2009 . the last 3 rounds are to get additional DE help , and a LB and maybe CB . if the FB from west virginia , SCHMITT is available , i would look too add a FB.

evil Guest

I wanna thank you guys for your inputs and am axious to hear from more of you guys

Are you serious about Schott ? While he can stabilize a team he has yet to win the big game. Cowher though would be a good option. What are the feelings towards Gruden ? Or perhaps having Haslett take over ? Am anxious for your thoughts on the job he has done with the D as well ?

bigredman Guest

I'm not for trading Jackson. He is a very talented RB. We need a RB coach to reign him in, and a leader on offense to take control in the locker room. Jackson can be soooooo great when he hits the holes with a full head of steam and legs churning. Then he gets too cocky and starts dancing at the line of scrimmage looking for a hole rather than creating it with a cut back. Most times when he dances, he loses yards when he could have gained at least three by lowering his shoulders and popping the tackler.

Linehan is hard to figure out. Just as Martz was. Great offensive coordinator, but just doesn't seem to have the head coach gene in him. Look at Norv Turner, another example of a coach that many hold in high esteem as an offensive coach, but can't win as a head coach. Now, maybe you shouldn't give up on a coach so fast when you look at Belichick was such a failure at Cleveland, but shined in New England. Maybe its the organization managing the team overall?

If the Ravens could win the Super Bowl with Dilfer, then the Rams certainly can win the Super Bowl with Bulger. You ask about Haslett taking over. I don't believe that to be the answer. Everyone tells me that I'm crazy to beat the drum for the Rams to hire Cowher. Maybe they are right, but I still would love to see it. The front office hit lightening in the bottle when they hired Vermeil, Martz, Lovie, and a little known QB named Warner came from nowhere to lead the Rams to a Super Bowl victory. Would we have gotten there with Green? Don't know, but the front office systematically tore this team apart since 1999 by letting key players (leaders) go, succumbing to a head strong offensive coordinator to force out a very good head coach and living to regret it.

Then you look at what is happening to the whiners...should be heading up, but going down instead. The NFC is a mess right now. The whole league is a mess right now except for the Patriots and Colts.

I guess I haven't provided any answers. If I had them, then I would be making the mega bucks in the NFL. Instead, I'm coaching football in Stockton, Ca. Life is good, so I have no complaints.

I know one thing for sure. Georgia MUST sell the team. It's not a sexist thing. I just want an owner that knows what a nickel defense is (it's not keeping the old lady next to you at the slots from stealing your money), and a tight end isn't a body part that's nice to look at when the guys are in a huddle.
    Last edited by bigredman; -11-10-2007 at 12:33 AM.

moloch41 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by evil View Post
    Or perhaps having Haslett take over ? Am anxious for your thoughts on the job he has done with the D as well ?
    I am as unimpressed with what Haslett has done as I am with Linehan. If they're going to get rid of Scotty, then they need to get rid of Haslett too. Might as well start fresh.

evil Guest

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    I am as unimpressed with what Haslett has done as I am with Linehan. If they're going to get rid of Scotty, then they need to get rid of Haslett too. Might as well start fresh.
    What was Haslett really given to work with though ? He got Carriker and Wade via the draft and Draft via FA and Hall via trade to upgrade/improve a defense that was 23rd overall last year. IMO he wasn't given much to work with. Should he be faulted ? I really expected you guys to focus on the D in this years draft and the Leonard pick really suprised me (great player/great pick but should you have drafted Crowder Abiamiri McBride Alama-Francis or Gerald Alexander in place of Leonard ?)
    Last edited by evil; -11-10-2007 at 12:42 PM. Reason: ...

moloch41 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by evil View Post
    What was Haslett really given to work with though ? He got Carriker and Wade via the draft and Draft via FA and Hall via trade to upgrade/improve a defense that was 23rd overall last year. IMO he wasn't given much to work with. Should he be faulted ? I really expected you guys to focus on the D in this years draft and the Leonard pick really suprised me (great player/great pick but should you have drafted Crowder Abiamiri McBride Alama-Francis or Gerald Alexander in place of Leonard ?)

They did use their #1 overall pick on defense among several others and brought in some free agents. He's a boring defensive coordinator. Seriously, you could get a high school coach to come in and call a 4 man rush and everyone else drop back in a zone.