Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ramhard is offline Registered User

Looks like this draft has had no help/impact

I wonder if ANY team in the league had their top four draft picks inactive... no matter how you argue long-term impact!!!!!

--------------------------------------------
    From TSN report:

With Barron, Bartell and Atogwe inactive and Richie Incognito unsigned, the Rams’ four top draft picks were unavailable for Sunday’s game.

--------------------------------------------

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Looks like this draft has had no help/impact

Two games in... and we're evaluating this year's draft?

That is the most impatient thing I've heard since... well... this:

Moe: "Hey Homer, I just bought this Army surplus deep frier that can cook a whole buffalo in 30 seconds!"

Homer: "30 seconds... but I want it NOW!!!"

maineram is offline Registered User

Jerome Carter was in the game against the Cards. So that'd be, all but one of this years draft class was inactive.

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

How can you forget Reggie Hodges!

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Lets see two years from now how we did in the draft. That’s the true test of a draft not their first year. Some guys that are drafted contribute their first year and their careers don’t even last 2 years before they are dumped and no one wants them. There are guys that don’t contribute their first year (Kennedy) but turn out to be good and sometimes great players. How much did Jackson contribute in the first two games last year? Not much. Was he a bust?

All true except

All this is true in a case by case basis. BUT when you draft for need, as the Rams did in the case of the safeties, OL, AND special teams(where they are still weak and hoping for help in each area) you would expect them to at least not be inactive.. at least ST and strong backups.

I think if you look at all the other teams and the Rams early draft payback is so much worse...it doesn't make the draft a bust BUT it does suggest (and I think the data spells this out) that some players drafted early (Barron, OJ, Bartell) aren't ready to contribute the way they had been expected to do by the RAMS (let's see Barron was anointed a started, OJ was put on special teams and has since been demoted, and Bartell was supposed to be nickle or dime corner and backup safeties and has been overmatched).

general counsel is offline Registered User

Its two weeks! Reggie Hodges, a 6th round pick, looking like jim friggin thorpe out there on his punting. thats contibution in my book. I agree that the first three picks havent helped yet, but we can give them at least a little time.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by maineram
    Jerome Carter was in the game against the Cards. So that'd be, all but one of this years draft class was inactive.

Maineram -
    And against San Fransisco. Member he lit Battle up
    RamsFan16

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ramhard
    I wonder if ANY team in the league had their top four draft picks inactive... no matter how you argue long-term impact!!!!!
    Who cares what other teams do? If we draft these guys and they're not ready to play, why would we play them?

You don't have a draft solely for help the next year. You don't sign every rookie you draft to a one year deal because they're required to make an immediate impact to be worth anything.

You can discount it if you want, but the draft is about long-term impact, especially for those later round picks and even in some cases later in the first round who aren't in the elite level of the class; free agency gives you veteran experience immediately.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Great Points About When You Draft For Need, You Would Like To See Them Contribute More,not Sit And Watch, But Theres Still Time, I Am Sure They Will Have There Shot Before Its All Over.

I agree if Rams didn't have holes

Nick,

I agree with you if the team didn't have clear weak spots that the Rams specifically drafted for. Now, Barron may come in and be all pro by game 6, Carter may end up being an amazing safety, and of course you don't judge a draft until year 3 BUT I don't even think the Rams are happy with the expected contributions of their draft class SO FAR - especially on Special Teams. As Martz himself admits:

"On positive changes in his kick coverage teams: “We got some veterans more involved. It’s difficult . . . you project some of these rookies based on the preseason and their play, then the regular season started and the speed of this game changes so dramatically. They were a little shocked by it. We’ve had to make a move quickly and we did that in a couple of areas that helped us.”
    Last edited by ramhard; -09-20-2005 at 12:42 AM.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Re: I agree if Rams didn't have holes

Quote Originally Posted by ramhard
    Nick,

I agree with you if the team didn't have clear weak spots that the Rams specifically drafted for. Now, Barron may come in and be all pro by game 6, Carter may end up being an amazing safety, and of course you don't judge a draft until year 3 BUT I don't even think the Rams are happy with the expected contributions of their draft class SO FAR - especially on Special Teams.
    I don’t believe the Rams are so short sided to think the guys that they drafted are not going to produce already. It took Pace 5 games his rookie year before he started and he was number 1 overall in that draft. If we keep going the way we have Barron may be starting by then. But even if he don’t I wont call him a bust until at least a year has past. Terrell could start on some teams today he will be a solid guard in the NFL.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -09-20-2005 at 12:49 AM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    How can you forget Reggie Hodges!
    and Hedgecock.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

adarian_too is offline Registered User

All that Barron being inactive brings to mind - is why does the league force teams to suit up only 47 players on game day?

If the roster allows for 53, why not let the team carry all 53 come game time? Why force any team to sit players?

Perhaps some sports journalist could explain the rationale behind this policy?

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

The way I look at it and quite frankly the way the NFL is structured these days, you need an immediate impact from your draft. If other teams are doing it then why can't the Rams?

Also you have to consider some of the past draft failures when considering impatience. There is a bit of a history to back this up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast