Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Looks like this draft has had no help/impact

Well....

1. Maybe our scout teams are terrible.
    2. Maybe Armey needs to go
    3. Maybe Martz can only pick QB's
    4. Maybe the Rams have a different view than us

Oh knows......Jackson seems to be working out fine. Kennedy has come along so has Pickett. Arch seems ready. DLew had a good game last week.

5. Maybe we don't know what the HE** we are talking about half the time?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: I agree if Rams didn't have holes

Quote Originally Posted by ramhard
    I agree with you if the team didn't have clear weak spots that the Rams specifically drafted for.
    Well, keep in mind it was the Rams' intention that Barron be the opening day starter, but he struggled in minicamps and then didn't turn up for most of training camp because of contract disputes. Maybe the tale would be different had Barron been here for all those practices.

Obviously you draft guys to fill needs, but I think if you expect rookies to be able to come in and make immediate and worthwhile contributions to your team from day one, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Let's look at our first four draft picks and examine why they're not making such a great impact:

1) Barron - Missed large portion of camp with contract issues, switching to new position on the line
    2) Bartell - Played at small school college, raw coming into the league
    3a) Atogwe - Missed some time because graduation was late and couldn't report immediately
    3b) Incognito - Still unsigned because he wants more money than Rams can give

I don't think, if you're the Rams, you can predict the situation regarding Barron and Incognito. We shouldn't have expected Bartell to make any kind of immediate impact given how raw he is. The only question mark is Atogwe, whom I've read hasn't absorbed things as quickly as we'd expect. Sometimes, this stuff just happens. Again, if we drafted players solely for their year one impact, then this would be a disappointment. Fortunately, we're banking on some of these guys to be with us for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    All that Barron being inactive brings to mind - is why does the league force teams to suit up only 47 players on game day?

If the roster allows for 53, why not let the team carry all 53 come game time? Why force any team to sit players?

Perhaps some sports journalist could explain the rationale behind this policy?
    I agree completely. Great point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    The way I look at it and quite frankly the way the NFL is structured these days, you need an immediate impact from your draft. If other teams are doing it then why can't the Rams?
    Well, I look at it this way - some positions are much easier to come in and make an impact. Carnell Williams has had two sensational games for Tampa Bay, but most would agree that a rookie coming to the pros to play running back shouldn't have much trouble in terms of being successful, at least not in terms of maybe a quarterback or a lineman.

But the other two running backs taken in the top five haven't had that kind of impact. Alex Smith isn't even starting. Troy Williamson is a forgotten man in a poor Vikings offense - two catches in two games. It's not just the Rams who aren't getting immediate results from their draft picks, and I think it would be unfair to grade this draft down because of it.

If you're looking for players to make their presence felt immediately on our team, you look for them in free agency, which we did by grabbing Claiborne, Coakley, Hawthorne, Tucker, Williams, Green, etc etc. But the draft, in my opinion, is more about the long-term picture.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Re: I agree if Rams didn't have holes

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    If you're looking for players to make their presence felt immediately on our team, you look for them in free agency, which we did by grabbing Claiborne, Coakley, Hawthorne, Tucker, Williams, Green, etc etc. But the draft, in my opinion, is more about the long-term picture.
    The salary cap hits from signing FA's can also have long-term effects. Short-term fixes with possible long-term implications.

By the Rams own admission they placed more of a special teams emphasis on this draft. Personally I think a player or players could make an immediate impact on special teams.

As we have all seen, special teams play can have a huge impact on games. Some of these players were inactive due to poor special teams play.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

One way to look at this is that the Rams feel they can get by without them.

I don't know about the rest of you but I much rather not have them play if they are not ready than to have to rely on rookies to have a successful season.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

5. Maybe we don't know what the HE** we are talking about half the time?
    HEY; speak for yourself; I've anointed myself an NFL Expert.LOL

If Salsburry steak and the rest of those clowns can draw a check each week then I'm a freeking knowledge base of football info.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12