• 2 Post By RockinRam
  • 2 Post By mde8352gorams
  • 1 Post By cfh128

Thread: Looks like Fisher passing on most "name" coordinator candidates

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Looks like Fisher passing on most "name" coordinator candidates

Looks like Fisher passing on most "name" coordinator candidates
    By Jim Thomas

As Rams coach Jeff Fisher takes his time looking for a new defensive coordinator, it’s looking more and more as if that hire won’t be one of several “name” candidates.

According to a variety of league sources, recently fired Kansas City head coach Romeo Crennel and Dick Jauron — the defensive coordinator on the staff of fired Cleveland coach Pat Shurmur — have not heard from Fisher. In addition, former Chicago head coach Lovie Smith and former Buffalo defensive coordinator Dave Wannstedt are not in the Rams’ mix, either.

Reports by the Chicago Sun-Times and other media outlets indicate that Smith, who was Mike Martz’s defensive coordinator in St. Louis from 2001-2003, plans to sit out the 2013 season.

That leaves Rex Ryan, fired earlier this month by Dallas, as a bona fide candidate.

It could also mean that Fisher is looking at younger, less well-known candidates, perhaps even from the college ranks. Rams secondary coach Chuck Cecil still be a possibility as well.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Looks like Fisher passing on most "name" coordinator candidates

The Cards just lost DC Ray Horton. He had gotten in an argument with the GM (I believe) and he was granted his release. I know he runs a 3-4, but he's one of the best DC's in the game. Now if he has had any experience in a 4-3 I'd be all over it, but I dont believe he has. Looks headed to Cleveland, perhaps the Browns will swing their franchise around!

THE DREAM TEAM

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

That leaves Rex Ryan, fired earlier this month by Dallas, as a bona fide candidate.
    Come on, Jim Thomas! Whatever happened to the good old days of proofreading?
    mde8352gorams and lostsoul like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

As far as I'm concerned I trust that Fisher knows exactly what he's doing and what type of person he's looking for. Non-story in my opinion.
    MauiRam likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Most people don't realize that our DC last year was, in fact, Manti Te'o's girlfriend.

Too soon?
    Rambos, Nick, THOLTFAN81 and 7 others like this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I have had too long to think about it and I'm hoping anybody but Rob.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Come on, Jim Thomas! Whatever happened to the good old days of proofreading?
    He probably thought spellcheck would catch it.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Most people don't realize that our DC last year was, in fact, Manti Te'o's girlfriend.

Too soon?
    Aw man, no way! I'm so suddenly saddened by our loss. Where can I get my Kekuastrong bracelet and tshirt?
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I have had too long to think about it and I'm hoping anybody but Rob.
    Rambos, I so agree with you. I think Ryan is very overrated and I know we can do better. While I know he's popular with players, brilliant just never enters into the conversation when talking about him. Sorry that Lovie plans to sit out next year, but there must be other coordinators available that use our scheme.

Go Rams!

cfh128 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Rambos, I so agree with you. I think Ryan is very overrated and I know we can do better. While I know he's popular with players, brilliant just never enters into the conversation when talking about him. Sorry that Lovie plans to sit out next year, but there must be other coordinators available that use our scheme.

Go Rams!
    I disagree and I actually think he is underrated. His defenses in Oakland (4-3) were good. He made Nnamdi Asomugha into a stud and received head coaching considerations. The defense in Cleveland improved by leaps and bounds under Ryan too. The only place that his defense wasn't great was Dallas but their defense was overrated anyway and he didn't have much to work with outside of Demarcus Ware. I think people are looking at how big of a clown Rex Ryan is and assuming the same thing out of Rob. Granted he can be a bit outspoken but he has been nowhere near the distraction that his brother has been in any of his DC stops. He is one of the better coaches available on the market and if we hired him I would be happy and optimistic about our defense.

One more thing. I have read the other post regarding his defensive rankings at his past jobs and I think those numbers are misleading. Thus far he has worked on teams that are perennial losers with inept front offices. I don't have any numbers or hard facts to back up my beliefs but I do have a good memory and I remember Cleveland and Oakland both having improving defenses with Rob Ryan at the helm. I'd be interested to see what he could do with a defense that actually has quite a bit of talent.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DE_Ramfan View Post
    Aw man, no way! I'm so suddenly saddened by our loss. Where can I get my Kekuastrong bracelet and tshirt?

They're sold right next to the Livestrong bracelets.
    Nick and gap like this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by cfh128 View Post
    I disagree and I actually think he is underrated. His defenses in Oakland (4-3) were good. He made Nnamdi Asomugha into a stud and received head coaching considerations. The defense in Cleveland improved by leaps and bounds under Ryan too. The only place that his defense wasn't great was Dallas but their defense was overrated anyway and he didn't have much to work with outside of Demarcus Ware. I think people are looking at how big of a clown Rex Ryan is and assuming the same thing out of Rob. Granted he can be a bit outspoken but he has been nowhere near the distraction that his brother has been in any of his DC stops. He is one of the better coaches available on the market and if we hired him I would be happy and optimistic about our defense.
    The facts speak for themselves.

"Ryan spent the 2011 and ’12 season with Dallas, preceded by two seasons (2009-10) as defensive coordinator in Cleveland, and five seasons (2004-08) as coordinator in Oakland. In those nine seasons as a coordinator, Ryan never was part of a team with a winning record and guided only one defense ranked in the top 10."

In the NFL you are what your record says you are. I'm sorry to disagree with you but I'm not the only person who feels he's overrated, professionals say the same thing. I'm not saying he's the reason for a shabby record, players still have to execute, but I just feel we can find a better option than Rob Ryan and I'm hopeful Jeff Fisher will do that. Regrettably the market is moving pretty quickly with all the new HC's. We can always appoint Dave McGuiness who was a quasi-DC this past year.

Go Rams!
    Last edited by mde8352gorams; -01-19-2013 at 08:39 PM.
    Fargo Ram Fan and bradwill like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    The facts speak for themselves.

"Ryan spent the 2011 and ’12 season with Dallas, preceded by two seasons (2009-10) as defensive coordinator in Cleveland, and five seasons (2004-08) as coordinator in Oakland. In those nine seasons as a coordinator, Ryan never was part of a team with a winning record and guided only one defense ranked in the top 10."

In the NFL you are what your record says you are. I'm sorry to disagree with you but I'm not the only person who feels he's overrated, professionals say the same thing. I'm not saying he's the reason for a shabby record, players still have to execute, but I just feel we can find a better option than Rob Ryan and I'm hopeful Jeff Fisher will do that. Regrettably the market is moving pretty quickly with all the new HC's. We can always appoint Dave McGuiness who was a quasi-DC this past year.

Go Rams!
    Agree to disagree! I hope whatever happens works out for us. We have a defense on the rise!
    mde8352gorams likes this.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

To be fair to Ryan but look who he coached for interms of teams, not that I think the Rams acquire him.

The old saying goes, "even a blind squirrel can eventually find a nut." That doesn't seem true of Cleveland. They brought in Holmgren and the turned that ship around--right back into the iceberg that is. I don't follow Cleveland and haven't a clue whats their major malfunction is, so I'll just have to say its the water.

Oakland was and still is a mess. Reason, OWNERSHIP. Can anyone mention a list of accomplishments that went right with the Raiders in the last 10 years, saving the death of their owner. Which is sad to say.

Its the same story currently going on in Dallas with the village idiot encharge. J. Jones running the show in Dallas is the worst thing for the cowboys. He desides personal as to who they draft, brings in free-agents and says to his coaches, "here you go, make it work." There isn't a coach in Dallas that is willing to stand up to Jerry.

Maybe Ryan if teamed up with a good assistant defensive cooridinator might workout, maybe not. There are those on the inside of the NFL that know more then the fans. Its just as fans we see the product on the field if it works or doesn't. But considering what the Rams will be seeing in 2013, I hope whoever is running the Defense is up to the task