Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Looks Like It's Down to Two For Rams

It's looking more and more, with the Lions closing in on a deal with QB Matthew Stafford, maybe making him the top pick in the draft, that the Rams pick comes down to OT Jason Smith or LB Aaron Curry.

A lot of people are listening to the accolades going Curry's way and see him as the best pick for the Rams. Remember, though, Billy Devaney is trying to build a team with a solid foundation. Offensive tackels stay good longer than linebackers, so building a team should start on the line.

I've watched the highlight tapes of Curry, watched him in a bowl or All-Star game, heard him interviewed, and what I see myself does not warrant taking a middle linebacker, which is what he would have to be to merit the kind of money he would get as the #2 pick.

I see a guy that can cover the tight end, not needed of a MLB, that makes plays, strips balls, looks like a sure tackler, but doesn't ever blow a back up with a big hit. If he cannot be an intimidator inside, then I don't think he fits what we want in a MLB.

You just don't know 100% if he can play in the middle. Robert Jones couln't, and he was a high pick , as was Chris Claiborne, one the highest picked LB ever.

Now, Rey Malaluga, does blow guys up, in scary fashion, so to me he's a better fit, but also not worthy of the #2 overall pick.

For the Rams, imagine a line with Adam Goldberg and Alex Barron at tackle blocking on third and long for Bulger. Imagine one of them getting hurt, and look at the backups, one of them a starting guard you then have to also replace.

Sometimes need outweighs a small difference in scouting grade. They really can't say for sure when guys are that close and play such different positions.

It's simple logic to know that there are way more human beings that could be good linebackers that there are 6-6, 300 plus pound men that can move like a basketball center.

The Giants legendary GM George Young, called it the "World" theory, that there were just so many athletic giants in the universe that can play football.

All things close, Young always went for the beef, and it served him well.

Jason Smith is a guy that has really hit a home run since January, impressing scouts with his talents at the Combine and workouts, and wowing all with his interviews.

This looks like a guy that would be a team leader quickly, which is the only reason I like him a bit better than Eugene Monroe for the Rams.

His upside is very high, and my bet is he'd start right away at right tackle, where he has played.

You'll be paying him what the top offensive linemen make nowadays, but not as much as the VERY top guys, like a linebacker would be.

I've gone back and forth with these two awhile, but in the end, looking at the whole package and what the Rams are trying to do, you have to go with the tackle over a linebacker that doesn't provide pass rush.

The Rams did that in 1997 because Dick Vermeil knew how to build a winner, and they have to do it again, because having good blocking means more than gaining yards and scoring points. It also keeps others, like Steven Jackson and Marc Bulger, in one piece.

They say the two tackles are not Orlando Pace, but Curry isn't LT, or Ray Lewis either. There are some great tackles, like Jason Peters, and Walter Jones, to name two, who were not supposed to be a Pace either.

It's a fairly easy position to scout, and these veteran scouts and coaches can spot a blocking talent right away, and then it's just a matter of finding out if they are leaders with character.

Barry Waller

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: Looks Like It's Down to Two For Rams

I've heard more reports that the Rams like Monroe more than Smith instead of Smith over Monroe, but we really don't know at this point, but we will know verry soon

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

"I see a guy that can cover the tight end, not needed of a MLB, that makes plays, strips balls, looks like a sure tackler, but doesn't ever blow a back up with a big hit. If he cannot be an intimidator inside, then I don't think he fits what we want in a MLB."

Very well thought out post Barry. I respectfully disagree, but I'll be happy if the pick goes either way. Arguing about it by now is beating a dead horse. The above quote is the only thing I really don't agree with in regards to Curry. I just don't see how you could have actually seen him play and not see the hit's he's put on people..Maybe you watched a different one than this, but the link is to a 6 minute highlight clip on youtube. Just about every other hit on there is pretty sick..

YouTube - LB Aaron Curry Highlights Wake Forest 2008

edit: didn't know it was going to embed it, but I guess that works too

RealRam is offline Registered User

Thanks for the 'Curry in Action', AtlantaRF. From those shots, AC is definitely quick and instinctive, a hard contact man at the point of impact.

No doubt it would be interesting to see this type of selection develop fast and productive with the Rams. However, I still envision our first pick going to Monroe. Just a guess. But it kind of leaves me with a sense of envy for the team that gets to choose Curry.

clarasDK is offline Registered User

Nice post, at the moment I am also on the OT bandwagon. But again I also like Curry. But OT is a bigger need.

I still try to keep the hopes up that we could trade down with the Browns or Redskins but that will probably not happen.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Barry didnt say he didnt put hits on people. What he says, and what makes 100% sense to me as i have been saying it all along, is that curry is not a pass rushing threat and there is some uncertainty associated with his transition to middle linebacker. Given that the need at middle linebacker is not the same as our need at offensive tackle, those two considerations give the offensive tackle the edge to the extent that they are graded comparably.

As to hearing that the rams like monroe better, the rams arent telling ANYONE what they really think so anything any of us have heard is not relevant. Barry, however, being a professional reporter with 30 years experience, is a lot more likley than we are to have a real sense of what the rams are thinking.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

dgr828 is offline Registered User

I heard the Rams were more interested in Monroe also. All reports seem to say that Jason Smith is the better of the two OT's, at this point and time, with Monroe having health issues. If Curry can't "Blow Up Backs" then the Rams should concentrate on building a foundation, namely the offensive front line.
    Looks like the two for the Rams should be Smith and Monroe.
    I Like Smith!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Didn't a LB win the Superbowl for us with "the tackle". My vote is Aaron Curry. J.Smith is not equal to O. Pace and we can find a RT in round 2.

Ramer is offline Registered User

I like Curry but I think we need to go OT.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

I'll be happy with either one... As long as they don't go Monroe...

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I think Barry is absolutely right. I don't think you can take Curry that high. I just don't. Maybe KC does at 3 and if so God bless them. However, if the Rams are going to run the ball this year how do you not take an O lineman?

Or, as Bernie made so much sense in his article take Sanchez? This draft stuff isn't the exact science everyone makes it out to be. C'mon, Curry played in the ACC.....not necessarily SEC caliber teams. He wasn't going up against the biggest, fastest, or most talented athletes in the NCAAs.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    C'mon, Curry played in the ACC.....not necessarily SEC caliber teams. He wasn't going up against the biggest, fastest, or most talented athletes in the NCAAs.
    He was playing Div 1 football also it's not like he was playing High schools teams. WF played @Florida State Ole MISS, BC @ Miami. It's not like Curry was going against the sisters of the poor.
    :ramlogo:

supachump is offline Registered User

I hope they take the best player. I don't care what position it is for. And to me, none of these people are it.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

the link is to a 6 minute highlight clip on youtube.
    Open field tackling............been a looooong time since Rams fans have seen that on a consistent basis.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by supachump View Post
    I hope they take the best player. I don't care what position it is for. And to me, none of these people are it.
    OK, I'll bite...... Who is "it" in your mind?
    Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast