Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Re: Looks Like It's Down to Two For Rams

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    Didn't a LB win the Superbowl for us with "the tackle". My vote is Aaron Curry. J.Smith is not equal to O. Pace and we can find a RT in round 2.
    That was also about the only good thing Mike Jones did in his Ram career. $30 million's a lot for one play.

I would be willing to buy a plan of "RT this year, LT next year," but I don't want Tebow, Bradford, or McCoy either.

Still. I want Smith more than Curry. The Rams linebacker corps is more serviceable as is than the Rams offensive line.

1st & Goal Guest

IT, may very well be neither of the two mentioned. Mark Sanchez is not a high need pick if you want to make a significate improvement this coming year. He may be the best pick though. I like what Bulger has done, but you can not argue with the fact his last 2 years have been awful. Some will say he has not had the protection. Others may say his receivers were learning on the job. The quarterback position is second in line for blame after the head coach. He is usually the most recognizable player on the team and the one player on offence that has the ball in his hands every play. Picking Sanchez may note be the smart need pick but it may be the smartest pick overall.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Open field tackling............been a looooong time since Rams fans have seen that on a consistent basis.
    Agreed about it being a long time since we've had a reliable open field tackler on D. I didn't see any "sick" hits, but I did see a solid wrap up tackler. Aaron should develop into a great NFL player, and the argument that he can't rush the passer doesn't carry much weight. He is certainly fast enougn, and strong enough to ragdoll running backs or even tight ends trying to block him. He just wasn't asked to do it much within the scheme he played during his collegiate career. Even so, I agree with Barry, that OT is more likely going to be the choice ..

Milan Guest

This draft is really deep at OT, upwards of 5-6 offensive tackles are looking to be taken in the first round. We can probably get William Beatty out of UCONN in the 2nd or maybe even Eben Britton if he slips a bit.

ILB isn't exactly too deep this year with Maualuga and James Laurinaitis looking to be taken in the first and neither is fitting for the #2 overall pick and there's not really too much after them in the 2nd round. At OLB it's Curry, Cushing and Matthews all looking to be first round prospects, Curry being the only one fitting with the #2 overall pick, and again, after all these guys, there really isn't too much at LB afterwards.

We can get a much better OT than LB in the 2nd round.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Look all I am saying is that he went from a 3rd Round pick last year to a top pick this year. Is that because the ACC was down or did he improve that much? I'm just not so sure on Curry.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Look all I am saying is that he went from a 3rd Round pick last year to a top pick this year. Is that because the ACC was down or did he improve that much? I'm just not so sure on Curry.
    And Jason Smith went from a hardly recruited TE to arguably the best OT in the draft in 2 years. How impressed are you with him?

I don't know. That's why this draft is so scary. It's very weak at the top 10 selection and then you could pick anyone after that in Round 1 and be ok with it. This draft will make or break the Devaney legacy with the Rams. Whoever he picks, if he hits that will be a major plus. I'm almost inclined to take Braylon Edwards from Cleveland and give up our #1 pick because at least he's proven. Or somewhat proven. Fills a hole. Brings "veteran leadership" (whatever that is). Is already a #1 receiver, and probably worth the money.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

While I don't recall Curry being a 3rd rounder prior to last season (a mid to late 1st rather), would it not be normal for the better players to work their way up draft boards during the season. I'd certainly rather see that than the opposite.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

I'm almost inclined to take Braylon Edwards from Cleveland and give up our #1 pick because at least he's proven. Or somewhat proven. Fills a hole.
    The first hole he needs to fill is the one in his hand. Too many drops for my liking.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

I agree with that. However, man it's just a gut feeling. Like folding pocket aces after the flop that has 7 7 5. I don't see Currty being the next Ray Lewis, but what do I know?

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

What gets me is i know how important the OL is to the team, but i cant get my mind of Curry..either way, i would love to have Smith on the team...Oh & TXRAM, i hear what your saying on Curry, but even if his conference wasnt as superior as others, he's still managed to be rated over all the other players who were in those conferences for the draft!..Thats gotta say something..

BEER is offline Registered User

If we pass on Curry we will regret it after ever game he plays for another
    team. We can trade down or get a tackle in the second. That being said,
    we will draft Monroe. And that will be a great pic as well.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

I agree with that. However, man it's just a gut feeling. Like folding pocket aces after the flop that has 7 7 5. I don't see Currty being the next Ray Lewis, but what do I know?
    Nobody thought Ray Lewis would be Ray Lewis either ...

Curry is a far superior player to either J. Smith or Monroe. Neither is going to be a great lineman in the NFL. Very good maybe, but not great. J. Smith wasn't even projected as a top ten pick several months ago, then Oher and Smith have some issues, and all the sudden J. Smith is a potential #1 pick?

Curry will be a pro bowl SLB at worst. Potential to be a pro bowler in the middle ...

With all due respect Barry, I don't think we're watching the same film on Curry, or you're not paying close enough attention ...

Curry is a very hard hitter. I actually saw one of the funniest clips I have ever seen in my life where a running back caught a pass, saw Curry coming, took a step back, and actually fell down in anticipation of the hit ...

Curry has size, strength, speed, and agility. Rushing the passer from the MLB spot is highly dependent on the scheme. Since when don't MLB need to have good coverage skills? Curry is great in coverage as any MLB should be. Look at all the greats, for instance Ray Lewis. He has a very high number of passes defensed each year and has picked off many a pass in his career ....

I just don't buy any of these OT's. Even if it sets the team back a couple games or a month or two, Curry is the superior long term solution. Remember when London Fletcher was around? You NEVER worried about the middle, you NEVER worried about players being in position, you NEVER worried about leadership on defense. Curry has that type of potential ...

You draft a OT with #1 and #2 and they don't pan out, that could set us back a year or more. That is a ton of money to tie up in a potential guard, ask the Raiders about Robert Gallery ...

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BEER View Post
    If we pass on Curry we will regret it after ever game he plays for another
    team. We can trade down or get a tackle in the second. That being said,
    we will draft Monroe. And that will be a great pic as well.
    To me, drafting J. Smith or Monroe is not a great pick, it's a cop-out pick ...

This front office has got to be better than that ...

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    To me, drafting J. Smith or Monroe is not a great pick, it's a cop-out pick ...

This front office has got to be better than that ...
    Well...we could take a right tackle in the second this year.

But we WOULD HAVE to take a left tackle in the first round next year. Which is bad news if you want one of "those three" quarterbacks. Alex Barron is not the long or medium term solution at LT.

We won't be able to get a good LT through free agency and we won't be able to trade for one, so the draft is the only way to get one. In a long term rebuilding project like the Rams, it's important to plan for the next offseason as well. How many of the Curryites are thinking about next offseason?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast