Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Looks Like It's Down to Two For Rams

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Alex Barron is not the long or medium term solution at LT.

We won't be able to get a good LT through free agency and we won't be able to trade for one, so the draft is the only way to get one.
    Yep, which is why the Rams should take advantage of the opportunity to get a top LT now.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I'm just not so sure on Curry.
    I'm not either Tx. I still can't get around the fact that we'd be moving him to a position he's never played, where he'd have to learn and adjust at a completely different level of speed and intensity. Maybe he can do it, but the conventional wisdom this time last year was that Glenn Dorsey and Vernon Gholston were can't miss slam dunks and it didn't exactly turn out that way.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    While I don't recall Curry being a 3rd rounder prior to last season (a mid to late 1st rather)
    Curry said himself that the NFL draft committee gave him a third round projection as an underclassman considering to come out last year.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Well...we could take a right tackle in the second this year.

But we WOULD HAVE to take a left tackle in the first round next year. Which is bad news if you want one of "those three" quarterbacks. Alex Barron is not the long or medium term solution at LT.

We won't be able to get a good LT through free agency and we won't be able to trade for one, so the draft is the only way to get one. In a long term rebuilding project like the Rams, it's important to plan for the next offseason as well. How many of the Curryites are thinking about next offseason?
    I am clearly thinking about next offseason and many others when I talk about Curry. Draft is our MLB and is entering the twilight of his career. That position can be important as any on a team depending on the schemes ...

I don't know about you, but I don't expect to be drafting in the top 10 next year. I think this team has a shot to compete ...

A draft is not the only way to get a LT. We might have our LT in Alex Barron, who knows at this point ...

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

The inherent problem with this thread is the fact that most think you have to draft a LT in top 10 or top 5 picks in the draft ...

You look up and down the league, and there are some nice LT's and RT's that were not even first or second round picks, nonetheless top 5 ...

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    I am clearly thinking about next offseason and many others when I talk about Curry. Draft is our MLB and is entering the twilight of his career. That position can be important as any on a team depending on the schemes ...
    Given the history of our head coach and defensive coordinator, I don't believe ours is a scheme that's going to place that high of importance on the MLB position. These are two coaches who come from programs that generally haven't had elite athletes at the MLB position or schemes that require them. Furthermore, we still don't know if Curry is a MLB in this league. There are more than a few who suggest he stays outside. And I doubt you'll find many NFL schemes that places a high importance on the SAM linebacker.

A draft is not the only way to get a LT. We might have our LT in Alex Barron, who knows at this point ...
    Quality left tackles rarely hit free agency; teams are quick to lock them up. Sure, there's the chance that you could pull off a trade, but then you're likely giving up personnel on your roster or personnel in the form of multiple draft picks. The draft may not be the only way to get a left tackle, but IMO it probably offers the best chance.

The inherent problem with this thread is the fact that most think you have to draft a LT in top 10 or top 5 picks in the draft ...
    I disagree completely with that interpretation. Rather, I think the argument is that, since we have a selection in the top five and two very qualified candidates at left tackle to choose from, we should take advantage of that opportunity rather than gamble and wait until a later round or next year entirely when our chances will likely not be as good.

Obviously it's possible to find starting tackles outside the top five, ten, and first round altogether. But possible should not be confused with probable. If it were so easy to find tackles, especially blind side tackles, in the later rounds, you wouldn't see teams rushing to address the position like we did last year and may again this year.

The tackle position is one that requires a rare combination of size and athleticism. Those prospects possessing both don't tend to linger on the board very often. Some slip through the cracks or become better NFL players than they were projected to, but those are the exceptions, not the rule. I don't think the Rams are secure enough to bank on being able to find the exception at such an important position when they have the chance to take arguably the class' best prospect with their first pick.

RealRam is offline Registered User

You look up and down the league, and there are some nice LT's and RT's that were not even first or second round picks, nonetheless top 5 ...
    Oh, no question about it, Infinite! That's an age-old truth in all of pro sports, any team, any position. One of the examples I like is the great Deacon, our own HOFamer DE: 14th round?!? Pick number 186!?! From Mississippi Vocational College??? Wow.

There is also no doubt that the NFL Draft has been pumped up with all sorts of media hype and hoopla, a high-end, high-tech circus and news jamboree that involves so many, many millions of dollars, and revolves around so much expecation -- again, largely based on a LOT of BIG money.

It's the nature of the beast. And it's no wonder many NFL players of 45 - 55 years ago, even though they understand the bu$ine$$ evolution of the game ... they still can't help smiling and shaking their head come every draft day in April.

But I'd say the top collegiate prospects do tend to make good on their potential. GO RAMS! GO MONROE!
    Last edited by RealRam; -04-24-2009 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Format

general counsel is offline Registered User

It never ceases to amaze me how when people want a particular guy, they convince themselves that something else that we need (ie an OT) will be available in the next round, which is of course pure speculation. The pure speculation makes it fun as everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion and we are all guessing.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

blood85 Guest

Just drat the OT already....... and let's see what is available, in the later rounds, as for a MLB.

invisiblehorns314 Guest

i wont be too upset if they draft smith, but it has to be him. if not smith then curry. its either or. i think curry is a cant miss prospect though. if not curry, then i hope laurinitis is there in the 2nd

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    Didn't a LB win the Superbowl for us with "the tackle". My vote is Aaron Curry. J.Smith is not equal to O. Pace and we can find a RT in round 2.
    CorrectJSmith and Emonroe are no Opace at the same stage in their careers.They arent equal to Stan Thomas or Jake Long either.Ive been saying for years that the Rams need a MLB-- now whether its Curry or not remains to be seen.Im still a Maulauga fan, and I d like to see the Rams trade down for 2 1st round picks and then P/U Rey and then one of the OTs.

ramsfan1975 Guest

i say take sanchez and hold him for ransome so another team ponys up for him. let them think we take a ot....muhahahahaha

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Curry said himself that the NFL draft committee gave him a third round projection as an underclassman considering to come out last year.
    Are we talking a year ago, as in 12-15 months ago; or the 2008 season. I assumed the latter.

However, assuming the former, I'm still not concerned by a junior moving from the 3rd round up to become a senior with a 1st round grade. That's just good progression. As I said yesterday, it certainly beats the opposite.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Chris58 is offline Registered User

I'm not a real draftnik, so Waller's intelligent assessment sealed my opinion. We need talent on the OL more than a MLB that might not be able to make the transition from OLB.
    I echo those on this site who are tired of the Rams recent history of drafting players only to play them out of their natural positions.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Are we talking a year ago, as in 12-15 months ago; or the 2008 season. I assumed the latter.
    We're talking 15 months ago when he sought feedback from the NFL Draft Committee as to where he would be projected to go as a junior in the 2008 Draft. The feedback was that, as a junior entering into his senior season, he would have been a third round pick.

Not saying it should be a concern, just trying to help clarify Curry's situation from the last 16 months or so.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    We're talking 15 months ago when he sought feedback from the NFL Draft Committee as to where he would be projected to go as a junior in the 2008 Draft. The feedback was that, as a junior entering into his senior season, he would have been a third round pick.
    Well then, good thing he didn't enter the draft last year.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast