Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Looks like our redzone struggles are back.

2nd and goal on the GB 1 and we can't punch it in. We settled for a field goal just like we did on the previous two drives. We need to put our opponents away or sooner or later it will come back to haunt us.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Re: Looks like our redzone struggles are back.

it Almost cost us the game again today... the red zone uneffectiveness can not happen next week against seattle...

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Please....unreal. Did we not score two tds or did you all miss them?

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Rams were 2 of 5 (40%) in the red zone today. I don't think that's a sky-is-falling kind of number.

What's more concerning to me would be our play calling on our last real drive. Three minutes to go and we run the ball once for three yards then call two passes that keep the clock stopped.

1-10-STL36 (3:10) S.Jackson right tackle to SL 39 for 3 yards (N.Barnett, B.Poppinga).
    2-7-STL39 (3:02) M.Bulger pass incomplete short left to S.McDonald (N.Collins).
    3-7-STL39 (2:59) (Shotgun) M.Bulger pass incomplete short middle to I.Bruce (C.Woodson).
    4-7-STL39 (2:55) M.Turk punts 40 yards to GB 21, Center-C.Massey, out of bounds.

Bad clock management and play calling by Linehan.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Varg6 is online now Registered User

Its killing me that Jackson isn't getting it in there. The red-zone efficieny is something that is improved, but I'd still like to see it workout better than it has.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    What's more concerning to me would be our play calling on our last real drive. Three minutes to go and we run the ball once for three yards then call two passes that keep the clock stopped.

1-10-STL36 (3:10) S.Jackson right tackle to SL 39 for 3 yards (N.Barnett, B.Poppinga).
    3-7-STL39 (2:59) (Shotgun) M.Bulger pass incomplete short middle to I.Bruce (C.Woodson).
    4-7-STL39 (2:55) M.Turk punts 40 yards to GB 21, Center-C.Massey, out of bounds.

Yep, this made no sense and was a tactical failing that could have easily cost us a win. Imagine where we have been had we run the ball and burned some of those precious seconds off the clock. I'll be interested to hear what Linehan has to say about it.

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

I'm not sure our redzone struggles ever left.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Rams were 2 of 5 (40%) in the red zone today. I don't think that's a sky-is-falling kind of number.

I was going crazy watching this crap happen. Thank goodness the Packers coach is made a horrible decision to keep passing when they were in easy field goal range too. I understand wanting the TD to try and seal the win, but as I was explaining to my wife during that drive, pass plays give many more opportunities for a turnover than running plays do. If tahe Packersa keep running and getting stuffed, oh well, you kick the FG and duke it out in When you get greedy and try to win with the passing game you can, and in this case do, turn the ball over and lose the game.

But back to Rams final drive play calling. Worst case scenario, you get stuffed 3 times on the run and have to punt and in the process take two minutes off the clock or force the packers to waste all remaining timeouts. Best cae scenario you keep steven jackson running and he gets you a first down or two and you run out the game clock. Either way run plays are the only sensible choice.

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

I was not able to neither hear nor see the game...

I am glad we came out of Green Bay with the victory AND beat the spread

Bulger again had fair-to-good numbers but the inability to complete a pass when it counts most (to maitain possession when the game is potentially on the line) is still a bug-a-boo for me... was he able to get the ball to the receivers and they dropped it or was he slightly in-accurate again in crunch time?

RnD

GO RAMS!!:l

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I think it's interesting that on the one hand Linehan gets criticised for being overly conservative in insisting that the offence manage the game and minimise turnovers at the expense of a Martzian freewheeling, freescoring approach, and on the other he gets criticised for being overly ambitious on passing for the first toward the end of the game.

This is an inconsistency that occurs when we take game situations in isolation.

Complete either of those passes and it's a first down, 3 more downs and you take the clock past 2.00 minutes with better field position and leave the opposing D wondering.Sure, 3 consecutive runs may well be the percentage play and personally I may have passed on 2nd and ran on 3rd but it seems to me that execution apart, there's not too much to criticise here.

Besides, the proof is in the pudding as Jack Aubrey might say

Rambos is online now Registered User

Please....unreal. Did we not score two tds or did you all miss them?
    You have to be able to score from the one if you want to close out games.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang View Post
    I think it's interesting that on the one hand Linehan gets criticised for being overly conservative in insisting that the offence manage the game and minimise turnovers at the expense of a Martzian freewheeling, freescoring approach, and on the other he gets criticised for being overly ambitious on passing for the first toward the end of the game.

This is an inconsistency that occurs when we take game situations in isolation.
    Well, it's only an interesting inconsistency if it's the same people making both criticisms. I'm not sure that those disappointed in the series in question have also been critical of the conservative play calling. I don't believe I have, for instance.

Sure, 3 consecutive runs may well be the percentage play and personally I may have passed on 2nd and ran on 3rd but it seems to me that execution apart, there's not too much to criticise here.
    I disagree. You run on first down, great. Why not run again and see what you can get while keeping the clock rolling? Then you can still pass on third down to try to convert if you need to, or if it's close enough, run it again or try a high-percentage pass like a screen or dump off in the flat.

Linehan's made some questionable calls already this season, and I think you can add this series to the list. Not trying to come down hard on him, but just making an observation... I think he's even said as much during some Q&A's. Yes, the players need to execute the plays being called, but it's also the coach's job to think ahead and call plays that are going to maximize his team's chances to win. And at that point in the game, I think that involves milking the clock more.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Okay, but in doing so isn't it all rather predictable?

Complete that pass and it's a wonderful, wrong-footing type of call. Don't, and it's a stopped clock, head shaking call. All that's missing is execution. Riskier to be sure, but hit that pass and you put your foot on their throat.

As for inconsistencies, I'd never accuse you of that Nickster but, I do think that it's interesting that, whether the same person or not, you can look at Linehan from both ends of the telescope.

LongTimeFan is online now Registered User

Originally posted by Nick
    Linehan's made some questionable calls already this season, and I think you can add this series to the list. Not trying to come down hard on him, but just making an observation... I think he's even said as much during some Q&A's. Yes, the players need to execute the plays being called, but it's also the coach's job to think ahead and call plays that are going to maximize his team's chances to win.
    Kind of like calling a bootleg from the one yard line with the #1 yards from scrimage back in the backfiled.

Complete that pass and it's a wonderful, wrong-footing type of call. Don't, and it's a stopped clock, head shaking call. All that's missing is execution. Riskier to be sure, but hit that pass and you put your foot on their throat.
    Either way I think it's a bad decision. A bad decision turning out well is still a bad decision, IMO. If it had worked out, that would have been great, but I still think a run in that situation would have been preferable.

As for inconsistencies, I'd never accuse you of that Nickster but, I do think that it's interesting that, whether the same person or not, you can look at Linehan from both ends of the telescope.
    Heh, this is a fair point. Kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. But I think that's simply a part of sports and fans in general in some instances.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast