RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Looks like there is a chance Martz could come back to St. Louis after all ...

But reincarnated in a non-egotistical, and less polished, form. Looks like Linehan interviewed Ken Zampese for the offensive coordinator position recently. Zampese is currently the quarterbacks coach in Cinncinatti and was a Ram's assistant under Martz from 2000-2002 I believe ...

We all know about his father Ernie ...

I really like this prospect. I think he could reinstall a Martz like system here, a system in which many of the core players really believe it. I think it would be a huge spark for our offense ...

Unfortunately, Ken has no experience calling plays. But with the wealth of knowledge that his father could help provide, I think this young guy can step in a do a great job for us ...

Any opinions?

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Looks like there is a chance Martz could come back to St. Louis after all ...

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    But reincarnated in a non-egotistical, and less polished, form. Looks like Linehan interviewed Ken Zampese for the offensive coordinator position recently. Zampese is currently the quarterbacks coach in Cinncinatti and was a Ram's assistant under Martz from 2000-2002 I believe ...

We all know about his father Ernie ...

I really like this prospect. I think he could reinstall a Martz like system here, a system in which many of the core players really believe it. I think it would be a huge spark for our offense ...

Unfortunately, Ken has no experience calling plays. But with the wealth of knowledge that his father could help provide, I think this young guy can step in a do a great job for us ...

Any opinions?
    if this pans out take the over when the Niners come to town,you are going to have Martz offense vs. Martz offense,should be a fun game to watch.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Looks like there is a chance Martz could come back to St. Louis after all ...

Well if Wilkins can hit a FG we win 52-49

moloch41 is offline Registered User

I know he's not his father, but I did like when his dad was calling plays.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Zampese is not even close to Mike Martz status.

Geez, the guy helps win 1 Super Bowl and takes the Rams to another, but you would think he was the one that has only won 11 games in 2 years.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Zampese is not even close to Mike Martz status.
    You're right Tx. In fact, there are few who are close to Martz when it comes to running an offense, but Martz was certainly not a household name when he came to the Rams. It took the right situation for Martz to make his mark. Zampese deserves a shot and I wouldn't mind if he got it with us. I don't think anyone is saying Zampese will duplicate what Martz did, but he has to start somewhere.

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

So is Cam out of the picture then? I like him or callahan, What did Carson, coach, or bengals do to make us think he's a sure fit??

Chris58 is offline Registered User

We're not the same team we were when we had Martz as our OC/HC. We can't stretch the field nor can we run away from defensive player/schemes. Re-installing a Martz-cloned offense with our personnel makes about as much sense as having a Hummer run Daytona.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Chris58 View Post
    We're not the same team we were when we had Martz as our OC/HC. We can't stretch the field nor can we run away from defensive player/schemes. Re-installing a Martz-cloned offense with our personnel makes about as much sense as having a Hummer run Daytona.
    That is an excellent analogy.

mdram is offline Registered User

He might be a good addition because he is young and might actually take the job even with all the unknowns.
    Next year is a gamble anyway. Maybe he is the next Martz!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I think he'd be a good candidate but not the best. If we can't get a guy like Cameron or Saunders--in other words an experienced offensive coordinator with a good track record--Zampese has at least done well with Carson up in Cinci and did well as an assistant with us.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    I think he'd be a good candidate but not the best. If we can't get a guy like Cameron or Saunders--in other words an experienced offensive coordinator with a good track record--Zampese has at least done well with Carson up in Cinci and did well as an assistant with us.
    True. I dont think he is the best either. However, he's not too bad. He's had history behind him, we can only see what kinda plays he can call.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Martz was not his only influence who is to say he would run the same system.

Chris58 said it best:
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris58
    Martz team was 14-18 his last two years here running his system. We don't have a 99 version of Warner, Pace, Bruce, Holt, and Faulk.

I would prefer we go with the best candidate available and preferably one with OC experience. I don't care what type of system they run as long as it’s successful.

Ultimately my decision-making would come down to these elements in order:
    1. Best available (track record)
    2. Has experience as an OC
    3. Has a balanced system
    4. System that can win time of possession and run time off the clock (This type of system ultimately helps our defense)
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -01-16-2008 at 08:35 PM.

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-16-2008, 03:11 PM
  2. -01-16-2008, 03:07 PM