Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Lot of Assumptions here, but...

(and I cannot believe I'm talking about the draft)

as it now stands, we'll be drafting 5th. Assuming the Rams, Falcons, Jets and***** all lose out, (extremely plausible), we will still be fifth, as our remaining opponents are 26-13, with the others being 23-16, 24-15 and 21-18, respectively.

So when, not if, (be realistic, guys - Packers, then Steelers and Cards on the road?)we lose out, with or without Bulger, (I hope without), we're basically guaranteed a fifth, (or better, depending on how the OTHER losers do).

Which means we are (IMO) a LOCK to get either Chris or Jake Long, or Dorsey.

Best case to me is drafting 5th, and if we ended up with Dorsey, move Carricker to end, and we're much better at rushing the passer. (Need some opinions on this. Maybe he's not the pass rusher we need, I really don't know):xI'd like Chris Long, and then Jake Long, if they were avaikable.

Anyway, the BIG positive is , drafting fifth, we draft second in the second round.

Two points: 2nd and 5th money are significantly different, as are guaranteed money and length of contract, and we get the cream of the second round.

As usual, should you or any members of your force be caught or killed...oops, I mean, if this is in the wrong forum, my apologies.
    Last edited by VegasRam; -12-10-2007 at 08:53 PM.

"the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: Lot of Assumptions here, but...

Good post, as of now I'd take Chris Long over Dorsey and keep Carriker at DT. I think he's done very good there and continues to show improvement. Who is picked 1-4 will also depend on who has a good combine, so some people might shoot up or drop. Its hard to know, but I'd be a little worried at 5th that we wouldn't get Chris Long.

PossumBoy9 is offline Registered User

Cool According to Great Blue North

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    (and I cannot believe I'm talking about the draft)

as it now stands, we'll be drafting 5th.
    Regardless of the outcome in the Falcons/Saints game, the Rams will hold the #3 slot this week.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Great post, VegasRams, and, no, it's not too early to start talking about the draft; it's our reality at this time. I agree with ARF that Carriker should be kept at DT as I don't think he has the quicks to be an effective edge rusher. Therefore, imho, this makes getting Chris Long a priority for the Rams. Having said that, however, I wouldn't cry if Long is long gone and we ended up with Glenn Dorsey; but I don't see that happening at this point in time. I can only hope that the Falcons, Jets, and Whiners all win at least one more game. This should ensure our ability to acquire either Chris Long or Glenn Dorsey.

WHAT SAY YE?

chiguy is offline Registered User

Does Dorsey play the UT at all? If he does, I wouldn't cry about choosing another interior lineman. Its not our greatest need, but it would still help our defense continue its improvement.
    Last edited by chiguy; -12-10-2007 at 10:59 PM.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

That pick needs to go towards a DEF lineman or an OFF Tackle.

We should use other picks later to get a Strong Center and/or Guard. The Off-line must be addressed, however, a DEF Lineman with that first pick would also be smart, depending on who's available.

If we can't get the Best DEF lineman in the draft, take the BEST OT in the Draft.

Follow it up with Strong OL later in the draft.

Ramanator is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano View Post
    That pick needs to go towards a DEF lineman or an OFF Tackle.

We should use other picks later to get a Strong Center and/or Guard. The Off-line must be addressed, however, a DEF Lineman with that first pick would also be smart, depending on who's available.

If we can't get the Best DEF lineman in the draft, take the BEST OT in the Draft.

Follow it up with Strong OL later in the draft.

I'm thinking needs are, in order,

OL
    DL
    LB
    S
    WR

Gotta get better on both lines fast if this team wants to compete. Saw the LB's get eaten alive on the last running drive by the Bengals. WW is the only one worth his salt, IMHO. S or WR are interchangeable needs. Hopefully, this team gets it together during the offseason and thru the draft.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    Does Dorsey play the UT at all? If he does, I wouldn't cry about choosing another interior lineman. Its not our greatest need, but it would still help our defense continue its improvement.
    So with that would you keep C. Ryan at NT and move Carriker to DE? I agree it would help our D overall, but I'd rather see Carriker and Ryan stay and a DE in round 1.

Oh, I'd rather have a defensive end too. However, if we have to take Dorsey then we have a wicked good rotation of interior players on the defensive line (assuming he's as good as people say he is). I probably wouldn't do anything differently with Carricker since he seems to do better when they move him around some.

SavageRam is offline Registered User

Isn't it better to use free agency to fill starting positions in the trenches? The Rams need a number of new skilled front line starters on both sides of the ball by 08's first game. That's asking a lot from the draft, especially for OL's.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

In my mind no matter where we pick it all comes down to Orlando Pace this offvseason. If he decides to hang up his shoes and call it quits, it's tough to back up drafting Chris Long over Jake Long. However if Pace decides to give it one more year I say we jump on Chris Long and then go after an offensive tackle in the second round. We could also try and trade back up into the first round if necessary.

One other idea that I might contimplate is the idea of trading down for more draft picks. Teams are drooling of McFadden so if someone offers us some decent picks in exchange for moving back, why not consider that? Of course the problem with that then becomes we can't draft Chris or Jake Long.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Re: According to Great Blue North

Quote Originally Posted by PossumBoy9 View Post
    Regardless of the outcome in the Falcons/Saints game, the Rams will hold the #3 slot this week.
    Based on what, exactly?
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

If we're really switching to a 3-4 there's no lineman we're going to get value for. Frank Okam is the best bet for the middle man. That's what makes the 3-4. Without the big guy there's no point. You also need bigger ends. Carriker being one if we go 3-4 Chris Long would fit there too. Take Chris Long if we're playing 4-3. Either trade down or take a tackle and hope Okam is still on the board come round two.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I hadn't heard anything about us planning to switch to a 3-4. My understanding was that we'd sometimes incorporate elements similar to a 3-4 or give a 3-4 look but stay with 4-3 as the base defense. Of course, I haven't even heard much about that in some time.

I, too, think Carricker should stay in the middle. His best assets seem to be strength and technique, not speed. He's not particularly slow, but his skill set seems better fit for the interior line.

Quote Originally Posted by SavageRam View Post
    Isn't it better to use free agency to fill starting positions in the trenches? The Rams need a number of new skilled front line starters on both sides of the ball by 08's first game. That's asking a lot from the draft, especially for OL's.
    I agree except that we don't have that much cap room to spend on free agents (near $10 million I think). If we bring in a big name OG (a *must*), some OT depth, and maybe a S...well, we're done. I suppose it depends on who is available.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast