Thread: A lot of Bernie

RamWraith is offline Registered User

A lot of Bernie

Bernie looks into a whole lot of things involving the team and Haslett

Bernie Miklasz

Should be fun to watch Vorbora play! Not to be negative on a good announcement, but the young guys can't really do any worse.
    BernieM

Witherspoon is really messed up physically right now... he's got a torn rotator cuff in one shoulder, and the other shoulder is damaged as well. Hard for the man to physically wrap people up for tackles.

-B

Haslett would change the coaching staff if he returns.

Bell's problem is that he's trying to play at 283...

He was at 305 pounds last year.

-B

BernieM

Haslett really wanted Glover. Glover was fine for a couple of years.

Haslett gave a positive review of Tye Hill before the 2006 draft ... Hill is a bust. Wanna blame Haslett? You can, but Linehan and Zyggy wanted Hill as much if not more than Haslett.

Haslett's other mistake was: keeping Witherspoon in the middle.

He also wanted Fakhir Brown, and Fakhir Brown was their best corner last season and had a "burn" rate that was among the upper half of NFL corners.

Other than that ... he fought to keep Ryan Pickett. He fought to keep Brandon Chillar. He had some other ideas that were ignored. He wanted to switch to a 3-4 and was overruled.

He wasn't calling the shots on personnel.

To blame him for that area is pretty asinine.

-B

BernieM

He wasn't expecting anyone to fail. Or hoping.

He'll make a decision at the end of the year.

He isn't happy about the lack of competitiveness.

He also wants to see if things will change with Steven Jackson back.

(for the short attention spans: they won under Haslett with Jackson in the backfield vs. Washington and Dallas. Feature RBs get banged up and miss games. However: this year, his missed games were a big factor in the unraveling. )

Again: Zygmunt will be gone, Shaw will retire. (Shaw will not be involved with the team, but he'll carry an adviser title that will continue to allow him to deal with NFL matters; Goodell consults Shaw for advice on labor-financial issues. But to sit in on NFL meetings, Shaw has to have some sort of title with one of the teams).

-B
    BernieM

I think Chip Rosenbloom made it be known that an apology was in order.

-B

BernieM

Chip is really into this... got a long e-mail from him early this evening. He's fired up.

-B
    Randy Lerner is talking about his passion for owning an NFL team that is struggling...Why isn't Chip granting interviews or holding a press conference? Too many movies in the works?

Welcome to The Short Attention Span Theater ... seems that we've just reached a new standard.

Really quite remarkable. I would almost be inclined to believe this was a put-on, because frankly no one could be so oblivious to what was written in the paper two days ago.

A couple of follow-up points to those who missed it, oh, the first 63 times:

* Chip isn't making movies. He's put his film career on hold to deal with the Rams and his mother's estate. He just turned down a big offer to direct a film.

* Chip took over, technically, in March. Since then he's fired the head coach, eased Zygmunt into retirement (which will be announced after the season) and played a role in hiring Devaney. (He cleared it just before his mother's death). Now he's going to put Devaney in charge of football operations, meaning that an actual football man will be running the football side for the first time since Vermeil and Armey teamed up. And he's done all of that since his mother died in January. And people rip the guy? It's incomprehensible. You gotta be really stupid to do that.

* For the minority faction of very loud whiners who still don't comprehend why their demand of Rosenbloom -- sell as quickly as possible! -- is so insane: if he sells as quickly as he can, the team will be placed in the hands of people who have little or no interest in keeping the team in St. Louis for the long haul. Now, if you live outside of STL, you probably don't care about that. Those of us who would like STL to have an NFL team deep into the future happen to care a great deal about Rosenbloom's desire to secure the franchise future by waiting and selling to someone who will keep the team here.

Will he replace Haslett? Don't know. If he replaces Haslett will he go for the biggest name coach that he can find? Cowher, no. Schottenheimer, doubtful. Others, I have no idea. An NFL assistant? Maybe. Do I believe he'll hire a great coach? I have no idea. But I'd rather keep the team in STL for the next half-century or so.

As I continue to say, at some point he will get fed up by the abuse that he takes from the idyits. Most Rams fans have brains and are capable of understanding the situation and I respect them. They are fair and they are giving the rookie owner a chance. And I want to repeat that my criticism is not directed to them.

I do not see a reason to pick on Rosenbloom, at least not to this point. He's been trying to do the right things.

-B

BernieM

Warner hasn't played well (by his standards) the last couple of weeks, but he's still a strong contender for MVP. His QB rating against non-NFC West teams is still a very impressive 94.9

Of course receivers are a big part of it. But Warner is also doing all of this with one of the worst rushing attacks in the league. AZ averages 3.3 yards per carry, 32nd (last) in the league.

Kurt: helluva QB, great competitor, major props for a remarkable comeback...but also still prone to being loose or careless with the football.

Brees is having a great season but voters will downgrade him (stupidly) because the Saints are scuffling to make the playoffs. Unfair to Brees; it isn't his fault and his team competes in a rugged division. I wouldn't have a problem with him getting the MVP based on what's been done to this point.

I'm into the love for Warner and will be proud to make the case for him for the Hall of Fame. But can we at least try to be objective when analyzing other QBs? Warner has been more consistent than Brees. But neither one of these guys ripped it up in their team's losses this season. Brees has a QB rating of 76.5 in losses; Warner is 83.0 in losses. A gap, yes, but nothing profound. It's a close race. There are games to play. As a fan I'm rooting for Warner ... but not to the point of suspending all objectivity.

In my opinion, a guy who gets overlooked for MVP discussion is Eli Manning. Manning is an understated kind of QB. Others have the gaudy numbers. But man does he complete some big throws with the game on the line. And he just doesn't make many mistakes. Manages the game extremely well. He has one of the highest TD rates and lowest INT rates in the league. On third-down passes, he's completing about 70 percent, with a rating of 108.8. In the fourth quarter, when it's a 7-pt game or less (either way), Manning's QB rating is a stunning 132.6

-B
    -------------------------

BernieM

NFL Hall of Fame Candidates

OK, the voters (including yours truly) whittled down the preliminary list.

And now we're down to 25 (plus the two Veteran's Committee choices).

Of these 25, 15 will survive the next cutdown ... and the 15 who make it will be discussed and debated in the room by the selectors on the day before the Super Bowl. That's also the day we do our final vote and elect the Class of 2009.

Anyway, I thought you'd like to see the 25, and if you want to pick your 15 from this list, I'll be happy to take a look... I also realize you may not want to wade through the list of 25. But if you do...

Here there are, alphabetically (some comments to follow):

* Cris Carter, WR 1987-89 Philadelphia Eagles, 1990-2001 Minnesota Vikings, 2002 Miami Dolphins

* Roger Craig, RB 1983-1990 San Francisco *****, 1991 Los Angeles Raiders, 1992-93 Minnesota Vikings.

* Terrell Davis, RB 1995-2001 Denver Broncos

* Dermontti Dawson, C 1988-2000 Pittsburgh Steelers

* Richard Dent, DE 1983-1993, 1995 Chicago Bears, 1994 San Francisco *****, 1996 Indianapolis Colts, 1997 Philadelphia Eagles

* Chris Doleman, DE/LB 1985-1993, 1999 Minnesota Vikings, 1994-95 Atlanta Falcons, 1996-98 San Francisco *****

* Kevin Greene, LB/DE 1985-1992 Los Angeles Rams, 1993-95 Pittsburgh Steelers, 1996, 1998-99 Carolina Panthers, 1997 San Francisco *****

* Russ Grimm, G 1981-1991 Washington Redskins

* Ray Guy, P 1973-1986 Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders

* Charles Haley, DE/LB 1986-1991, 1999 San Francisco *****, 1992-96 Dallas Cowboys

* Lester Hayes, CB 1977-1986 Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders

* Cortez Kennedy, DT 1990-2000 Seattle Seahawks

* Bob Kuechenberg, G 1970-1984 Miami Dolphins

* Randall McDaniel, G 1988-1999 Minnesota Vikings, 2000-01 Tampa Bay Buccaneers

* Art Modell, Owner 1961-1995 Cleveland Browns, 1996-2003 Baltimore Ravens

* John Randle, DT 1990-2000 Minnesota Vikings, 2001-03 Seattle Seahawks

* Andre Reed, WR 1985-1999 Buffalo Bills, 2000 Washington Redskins

* Shannon Sharpe, TE 1990-99, 2002-03 Denver Broncos, 2000-01 Baltimore Ravens

* Bruce Smith, DE 1985-1999 Buffalo Bills, 2000-03 Washington Redskins

* Ken Stabler, QB 1970-79 Oakland Raiders, 1980-81 Houston Oilers, 1982-84 New Orleans Saints

* Paul Tagliabue, Commissioner 1989-2006 National Football League

* Steve Tasker, Special Teams/WR 1985-86 Houston Oilers, 1986-1997 Buffalo Bills

* Derrick Thomas, LB 1989-1999 Kansas City Chiefs

* Ralph Wilson, Owner 1960-current Buffalo Bills

* Rod Woodson, CB/S 1987-1996 Pittsburgh Steelers, 1997 San Francisco *****, 1998-2001 Baltimore Ravens, 2002-03 Oakland Raiders

Bernie comments: The prominent first-time eligibles are Bruce Smith, Rod Woodson and Shannon Sharpe... I think Cris Carter has an excellent chance, now that two WRs were moved through last year (Monk and Irvin) ... I'm hoping this is the year for Derrick Thomas; I will try to pitch in and make the case ... lots of guys on here have made it this far many times before, including Dent, Grimm, Kuechenberg, Hayes, Stabler ...

I was disappointed that Don Coryell didn't make the cut to 25; his influence on the game was more profound than many voters apparently realize...Tasker is always interesting; will a special-teams guy make it for the first time? ... I have an open mind on most of this list.

Davis may rate for the same reason that the great G. Sayers is in the Hall of Fame ... brilliant career, incredible accomplishments, career cut short by devastating knee injuries.

I did some research on Ray Guy last year and I was surprised by what I found... he ranks way down on the list of career punting average, and career net average.

Tagliabue will get in at some point ... but probably not now. Lots of voters waiting to see if his last CBA will blow up, which could be extremely damaging to the league.

I'm a big advocate of Derrick Thomas, so if he doesn't make it, don't blame me. I will step it up and try to do even more this time around.

I think people are wrong to diss Andre Tippett. The man was a great player, and he was a great player on bad teams. He had the tight end lined up on his side. He wasn't a freelancer. He got all of those sacks and disrupted offenses while also wrestling the TE to blow up running plays ... which is something Thomas never had to do, because he wasn't called on to take on the TE. Tippett is a classic example of a guy who was downgraded for too long because his team sucked. At the time he played, his numbers were right there with Lawrence Taylor's. You'd be surprised by those numbers. I was proud of that pick. But D. Thomas definitely belongs.

Greene for some reason didn't start to get some play until last year -- so the movement for him is just starting. If it means anything to ya, I had breakfast with Greene about 2-3 years ago to discuss the Hall of Fame process. He was great to talk to. And I also signed onto a letter of endorsement on his behalf (it was sent to other voters). Charles Chandler in Charlotte wrote it and I co-signed. So I am in his corner.

One of the real oversights in the voting to this point (in my opinion) has been no representation from The Hogs.

That was a devastatingly good offensive line that power-drived the Gibbs Redskins to 3 Super Bowl champions. The Skins won Super Bowls with three different QBs, different feature backs, including the obscure Tim Smith... the one constant was the line. Russ Grimm should be in there. Joe Jacoby should be in there.

Be an optimist, look for opportunity in EVERY situation!
    Last edited by RamWraith; -11-30-2008 at 08:37 PM.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Re: A lot of Bernie

Let me get this straight. Those of us that want Chip to sell the team are the insane ones because if he does that, it will put the team in the hands of those that won't want to keep the team in St. Louis.

What exactly is the upside of staying in St. Louis? The fan base cares more about baseball than football. The stadium is small and doesn't generate enough revenue, and the St. Louis area is so depressed financially that the thought of building a new stadium is absurd (Even the all American brewery that benefited city sports in the past is now foreign owned).

Sure Bernie...we'll keep the team there just for you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Personally, I wouldn't want Chip to feel pressure to sell immediately if only because we want to make sure the owner--whomever it may be--will be someone legitimately interested in the team's success and not just the profits involved. It sounds like Chip is at least trying to get it right.

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

Caligirl has no comment at this time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

TheTalkOfTheArch is offline Registered User

If you look at the budgets for stadiums built already built, the team themselves paid for at least half the cost. We're 7 years away from 2015. That's plenty of time for the economy to recover.

The Rams will stay in St. Louis. Also, what part of the country isn't hurting? Its not just St. Louis. ..I'd love to see EJD destroyed and placed somewhere else that doesn't cut off North St. Louis from downtown.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

...lets move to LA!

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Bell's problem is that he's trying to play at 283...

He was at 305 pounds last year.

-B
    That's pretty serious. I haven't heard that before. If it's true it's no wonder he's been stinking up the place, 283 pound linemen get tossed around by the stronger DT's. 22 pounds under his playing weight last year - has he been sick or something? I sure can't imagine that the coaches have told him to lose that weight.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Bell lost weight!??! I didn't know that! Put it back on!!!!

I want to see what Chip has in store. I know he wont sell the team to some idiot. He wants this team to succeed. I know when he sells the team that he will continue to follow it.

Lets see what Chip does before we rip him okay? Let this team rebuild itself. This offseason was terrible, losing Georgia. Thats behind the team now and they can not focus on really rebuilding everything in Rams park.

It starts by keeping Devaney. haha

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

I don't know what to say about Devaney. Sure, he prepared a great draft this past year, but how much of that was really him? He still had Linehan and Zygmunt looking over his shoulder the whole time. I just don't know if he has the credentials or the experience to fully take over this operation. Hopefully he proves me wrong, but to elevate him to that position this quickly is almost like how Zygmunt got there -- under the radar.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

He had some other ideas that were ignored.
    Hmmm.....like?

He wanted to switch to a 3-4 and was overruled.
    LOL....What person in this organization is qualified to overrule haslett?

There has not been a single person in this organization, since Ray Malavasi, that knows enough of a single damn thing about defense to overrule haslett.

FilthyMcNasty is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    Let me get this straight. Those of us that want Chip to sell the team are the insane ones because if he does that, it will put the team in the hands of those that won't want to keep the team in St. Louis.

What exactly is the upside of staying in St. Louis?...
    There are plenty of reasons to criticise Bernie, but being a writer for a St. Louis newspaper and championing the team staying in St. Louis is not one of them.