RamWraith is offline Registered User

Lots of The Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    I'll try to break it down for you, saintloser....

last week Rams played the 31st run defense in the NFL .... and didn't run....and didn't play Steven Jackson.

This week they line up against the 11th run defense in the NFL ... and make a determined effort to run....and go 73 yards for a TD in 10 running plays ... with JACKSON AND FAULK SHARING THE LOAD.

(In other words: (A) team is capable of running; (B) Jackson and Faulk can be used with great effectiveness; it doesn't have to be one or the other.

So this would lead a reasonable mind to wonder ... why didn't the Rams -- with a bad QB at the helm no less -- try to run it at Arizona last week? It just reveals what a horrible, flawed gameplan they had in Arizona.

Got it?

Thanks.

Cheers,
    B

BernieM wrote:
    markd...

the line is doing a terrific job, opening holes, and pushing the Eagles inside on those outside-design runs.

You can see the difference....

Faulk has the holes, and he's been productive, with 7 carries for 38 yards so far. But with the same set of circumstances, Jackson is going off, with 9 carries for 100 yards. He's able to bust it loose and take it down the field.

Faulk does look better tonight than he has in a while.

Cheers,
    B

BernieM wrote:
    Marshall can be a useful spot player..... as long as he's willing to accept the role.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    at the Edward Jones Dome....said it's disgraceful...and needs to be replaced, the sooner the better....he's been pushing for it...asked the media to make it an issue. (upset over injuries, concussion to Cleeland, and the late-game injury to the Philly player, Thomas Tapeh)...

also.... Martz says Bulger has been hurt all season (shoulder) and that no one knew about it....says the shoulder has been sore since the first game of the season .... and that the two weeks off helped make it stronger.

Cheers,
    B

BernieM wrote:
    Sorry, but I don't rip coaches who go 12-4 and squeeze wins out of a team in transition, as Martz did last season.

Say what you want, think what you want, insult me, whatever.

Won't change my mind. Martz did a helluva job in 2003.

This year his coaching has been pretty bad.

As I've said before, I don't dumb myself down just to appease a mob. I write columns based on what's happening and what I know to be true.

Coaches and managers have good seasons and bad seasons, just as players do. Witness La Russa and Baker in 2003 and 2004. They basically switched places in terms of their respective performances from 2003 to 2004.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    Martz can salvage himself if he's smart and calms down and narrows his focus.

I think the players are amused more than anything by the Martz-Turley stuff.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    My take on Lamar Gordon was idiotic in retrospect.

But I've never claimed I'll be right on everything.

If you want to judge me, or anyone, based on a poor analysis of a trade, I'll never pass the test. And that's fine.

Overall, my Rams analysis has been very accurate this season. I got pasted on here before the season for writing that there's been a talent drain, and that the Rams are sliding, and that the defense would suck, and that they'd finish around .500.

But yes, I was way off on Gordon.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    Assuming (and that's a leap, I know) that the Rams defeat the Jets...

Where are the Rams most likely to get help this weekend?

Atlanta winning at Seattle?

Or Minnesota losing at Washington?

I'd probably go with Minnesota going down, because the Redskins have played outstanding defense all season. Don't trust Mike Tice in a big game, either.

Agree? Disagree?

The scoreboard watching will be fun.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    I think it's a fair question and I wrestled with it before I was critical of Martz in the column after the Philadelphia game.

But I sincerely am disappointed that he didn't give the running game more of a chance this season. And I truly believe it would have made a difference in the season. And I (and many others) have been consistent in calling for a more vigorous running game all season.

So I really think it was fair game to ask: if you could devote the game plan to the running game on Monday night and get such terrific results, isn't it a shame you didn't try this earlier?

They have done well this season when they've made a dedicated effort in running the ball.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    I'm not sure what Martz will be told to do.
    But some changes will be requested.

Actually I'm puzzled as to why anyone would ask me about this, considering I know nothing about the Rams or football.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    Well, for starters last year he scaled back the offense to accomodate Bulger. It was easier to run, and had fewer elements. The playbook was trimmed back quite a bit. And the offense did score a lot of points.

This year Martz didn't do the same thing when Bulger went down; he kept the same offense up and running when Chandler went in, and we saw what a disaster that was.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:

The Rams exploited Philly's blitzes with the running game. Jackson and Faulk both cashed in. Jackson was able to do more damage.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    sorry ... I share your theory that Jackson seems to dislike Martz personally....but I have no knowledge of anything happening between them in the past .... something unpleasant like an argument or an insult (from Martz) or whatever. But Jackson -- at least what I've seen -- has seemed to be pretty hard on the Rams and Martz.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    A birdie to tells me that iIn his post news conference briefing, Martz floated the idea that maybe his fussing and making a big deal over the turf at the Ed Jones Dome would be picked up by the Jets and put a thought into their heads.... .you know, the turf is rock hard, and dangerous and could leave them vulnerable to injury.

Some gamesmanship by the coach?

In fairness to Martz, his concerns for his own players' health are legit, and he's right in pushing for a new surface.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    Things can always change....I'm serious....Martz and Turley are both really moody, overly sensitive guys....but as it's been said, the closest thing to love is hate (and vice versa). I do not rule out the chance of Turley returning to the Rams.... a real longshot, but not impossible.'

There are other issues....

can turley play? will he physically be able to do it?

Hadley and others are saying that the Rams may be compiling a case against Turley....trying to show that he violated his contract by not properly rehabbing the injury....that they may seek to have the contract voided, so they won't have any finacial responsibilities to him.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:

Martz does a lot of things well.

He's responsible for the best run of success in pro football that this town has ever seen.

That's also what makes him so disappointing ... when he gets into these stubborn ruts in calling plays.

I've defended him often. Will do so again if I think he's getting a raw deal. Some fans whine about stuff that has never cost the Rams a win. When I criticize Martz, it's based on important stuff that makes the difference between winning and losing. Like not running the ball against a soft run defense when you're trying to compete with a bad QB. (The loss at Arizona last week).

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    Martz is a good guy.

Just insecure.

And when the insecurity really festers, it impacts his coaching in a negative way.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    just one stat that jumped out at me...

This year the Jets scored 34 at S. Diego in their first road game.

Since then, they haven't scored more than 17 on the road and have averaged 11.6 points in their last six road games.

They also have Curtis Martin (more than 1,500 yards rushing and 12 TDs) locked and loaded on that squishy Rams front seven.

Control Martin, and they could win this game...

Cheers,
    B

BernieM wrote:
    I appreciate the Football101 lesson. Thanks.

As this offense has evolved, there's been a need for more balance. This isn't the same unstoppable passing attack we saw from 1999-2001. That's because of a number of reasons which I've discussed many times, but won't repeat here.

You're confusing me with one of these 3-yard dust-cloud guys. Nothing could be further than the truth. But when you see a defense that hasn't stopped anyone on the ground all year, basic pragmatism tells you that it's probably a good idea to attack with the run.

as for the New Orleans game, I suppose you forgot (which I understand, I can't remember stuff, either) the flow of the game as well as the switch in the Saints' defensive tactics once the Rams opened with the passing attack....

Rams did open up with an effective passing attack. Bulger hit on four of five on an opening TD drive. And then he started the second drive with two completions....looking good....6 of 8 passing early... but from the conclusion to that first drive to the early minutes of the fourth quarter, the Rams got only a FG and didn't score a TD....

why? well, New Orleans started dropping LBs into coverage, knowing that the pass was coming on virtually every down. During that scoring drought -- one FG in more than two quarters -- Bulger attempted 19 passes. Nine were completed. Three times he was sacked, once for a fumble and turnover. And there was also a holding penalty on a passing attempt. The passing game bogged down. When the Saints dropped the LBs into the passing lanes, pragmatism dictates that you hit them with the run, and make them put more defenders back into the box....and then you zap 'em again with the passes.

On the drive that ended with the Rams' first TD since the first quarter, Martz opened with two runs by Faulk...drew the LBs up...the passed....effectively.

Again: pragmatism.

I'm just into pragmatic play calling.

Especially if the QB play is lacking.

Let's see ....Chandler is the QB and they open up and throw and keep throwing in losses at Carolina and Arizona and the results are disastrous.

But Bulger returns -- a "remarkable" QB according to Martz -- and they open the game vs. Philly with a 10-run drive for a TD.

Interesting.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:
    I agree; i have to worry a little about Jackson's knee. isn't a good sign that two heavy-load games result in the knee getting banged up. the turf doesn't help.

Cheers,
    B

BernieM wrote:
    I've covered, first hand, some nutty things in the NFL....

Bob Irsay owning the Colts and showing up drunk for games, and giving bizarre interviews. (remind me to tell you the Bo Jackson story sometime).

Colts coach Frank Kush having a pitcher of root beer dumped on his head in the training-camp cafeteria by a rookie he'd just cut.

Jack Kent Cooke, the late Redskins owner...never knew who was going to show up in his box at RFK.

Two franchise moves. Colts and Cardinals. No, make that three franchise moves...Rams, too.

The decline of Tom Landry. I was there for his final season.

Jerry Jones swooping in to buy the Cowboys, firing Landry, hiring Jimmy Johnson.

But I have to say ... this stuff at Rams Park has been as crazy as it gets. the three guys upstairs barely talking to each other (zygmunt, martz, armey). all three of them ripping each other behind the scenes...shaw in and out, running the team from LA much of the time....Martz getting into it with Turley....Martz trying to intimidate and control the media....Martz and steven jackson and their seemingly icy relationship. (strange; something is up but we can't figure it out). .... on and on....martz not knowing who he's playing in games....marshall faulk deciding who plays at RB...I know I'm forgetting some stuff, too....it's really a damned shame.

Cheers,
    B

BernieM wrote:

As for Zygmunt and Martz....that's a bit of a mystery, since both guys are tight-lipped about it around us, even in background settings.

My theory is tha zygmunt grew weary of Martz's power grabs....not wanting to listen to Armey or anyone else in the organization....I think Zyggy has tried to shift some of that power back, and he's gotten more involved in personnel -- probably forcing some moves that Martz didn't like, but agreed to. (Martz wasn't in favor of trading Lamar Gordon but deferred). Martz of course will dislike any attempt to move the power away from him.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:

The truly unfortunate thing about this is, it's such a disservice to Bulger....a class act, a good leader, and a good QB. Sometimes a very good quarterback. But he can't live up to Martz's constant hype of him. I know Mike is trying to pump up a key player, but he's not really helping Bulger with this stuff.

Cheers,
    B

BernieM wrote:
    Two things:

* I have no idea if Archuleta is juiced or not. I mean, it's something that people have speculated about, but my policy is unless there's solid proof, I won't make any allegations.

* In Hadley's defense, he did ask Claiborne for permission to write about what Claibs had said. And Claiborne didn't blurt out the steroids thing in a private conversation, either. I talked to him yesterday and he'd be happy to take phone calls on KFNS on this. He isn't hiding from anything.

I don't have a horse in this race....

Same with the argument (or whatever) on another thread about Haldey and Slaten. I get along well with both of them, and whatever animosity there is between them, I stay out of it.

Cheers,
    Bernie

BernieM wrote:

I'm not perfect in this regard, but I pretty much share what I know. i don't keep secrets unless it's of a gossipy nature concerning someone's private life, which is off limits unless there's a direct connection to the athlete's performance. And even then, I need facts -- no just hearsay.

Sure, coaches and managers and athletes will talk on background, just so we have more details, more of an understanding, of what's going on with a certain situation. But when I am backgrounded, what I hear makes it into print in one form or another.

This is one of the reasons why Martz got upset with me a couple of years ago; he called me into his office for a chat one Sunday morning, basically went off on Kurt Warner, and i wrote a synopsis of what he said. Martz was angry with me, because he believed it was an off-the-record conversation. It wasn't. I took notes the whole time. And if he had feelings about Warner, I was going to let the readers know about it, which I did.

Of course, when i wrote about the anomisity between Warner and Martz, two things happened:

1. Others in the STL sports media such as Steve Savard joined hands with Martz to try and discredit what I had written.

2. Fans thought I was trying to stir the pot and ignite controversy, even though I was minding my own business until Martz asked for a visit. So I was lambasted there, too.

(And by the way: we all know what happened with the Martz-Warner relationship).

Fans say they want tough reporting and digging from reporters...but when reporters deliver, we're often urinated upon by the very same fans, and other media people who want to shine a coach's shoes to curry favor with him.

Just when I wrote about how Tino Martinez was a problem in the 2003 clubhouse. Some of the same players and baseball staffers who told me about it later told other media that Tino was a great guy. And fans (not all) accused me of all sorts of things, because most fans don't want their fantasy shattered by hearing something negative about one of their "boys" who play for the Cardinals.

I was vindicated in both instances; Warner and Martinez were dumped. And to this day Martz takes subtle digs at Warner -- like this most recent stuff about how Bulger is the best QB he's ever coached. It's just so juvenile.

But it's sad that a journalist has to go through this -- getting whizzed on by other media and by fans -- for trying to do his job.

Cheers,
    Bernie

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Lots of The Bernie

You know, I just noticed something about Bernie. He's exactly like Martz.

Both of them should stay above the fray and not dignify their detractors' criticisms with comments. Instead, both of them are prone to defensive rantings that only highlight how maligned they really are

Kind of funny if you think about it.