• 3 Post By HUbison
  • 1 Post By mde8352gorams
  • 1 Post By Truth

Thread: Lots of talk but no action as Rams wait on Fisher

Rambos is offline Registered User

Lots of talk but no action as Rams wait on Fisher

By JIM THOMAS

Jeff Fisher standing

Is it the money? The title? Concern about a possible franchise move?

Wednesday came and went with lots of rumor and speculation but very little in the way of hard facts, much less a decision by Jeff Fisher on his next head-coaching destination.

In fact, one source familiar with the negotiations said, "Nothing of any real consequence" took place Wednesday.

But the Rams' tug-of-war of with Miami could be reaching epic proportions, because among that speculation was a report that Miami owner Stephen Ross was offering Fisher in the neighborhood of $8 million a year on a multi-year deal to become the next coach of the Dolphins.

As staggering as that might sound, Fisher was scheduled to make about $6.5 million a year in 2011 as Tennessee Titans head coach, so it might simply be the cost of doing business to land the top name in this year's NFL coaching carousel. And wherever Fisher lands, that paycheck may include a fancy title — such as executive vice president — that includes final say on personnel.

It remains to be seen if Rams owner Stan Kroenke is willing to reach that deeply into his deep pockets, particularly if it's a deal beyond five years in length.

While negotiations on Fisher continue, the Rams are broadening their head-coaching search.

There were no interviews conducted Wednesday by the Rams on either the head-coaching or general manager fronts. But Carolina offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski and New Orleans offensive line and running game coach Aaron Kromer were added to the list as potential successors to coach Steve Spagnuolo.

Chudzinski is expected to interview today in Denver where Kroenke, executive vice president of football operations Kevin Demoff and other team officials have huddled once again. As previously reported, Denver defensive coordinator Dennis Allen also is scheduled to interview today.

By league rule, interviews with coaching candidates whose teams are still in the playoffs must be done either in the city of the playoff team, or in the city where the playoff game is being held. The idea is to cause as little distraction as possible.

"I'm flattered by (the interview)," Allen told the Denver Post. "When you have success as a team, individual achievements come. Obviously, I'm thrilled about it, but at the end of the day my focus right now is trying to win a game against the New England Patriots, and that's the only thing I'm concerned about right now."

Allen, 39, is a former New Orleans assistant in his first year as an NFL defensive coordinator. Denver plays at New England on Saturday night in an AFC divisional game.

"We're focused on New England," Allen said. "We're trying to win this game. Whatever happens after that, that's in somebody else's hands."

The fact that Allen coaches in Denver is convenient for Kroenke because that's where the offices of Kroenke Sports Enterprises are located and all of the head-coaching interviews have taken place so far.

Kromer and the Saints are playing at San Francisco on Saturday afternoon in an NFC divisional game, with the team scheduled to fly out of New Orleans to the Bay Area today. That means the Rams probably would have to interview Kromer on Friday in San Francisco.

Kromer, 44, played offensive tackle in college at Miami (Ohio) before launching a coaching career that has included NFL stops with Oakland (2001-04), Tampa Bay (2005-07) and the Saints, whom he joined in 2008.

Chudzinski, 43, played tight end in college at Miami (Fla.). He has had pro coaching experience with the Cleveland Browns and San Diego Chargers before joining the Carolina staff this year.

In theory, the Panthers run an offensive system very similar to former Rams head coach Mike Martz. But Chudzinski tweaked that system this season to better fit the skill set of Panthers quarterback Cam Newton, who had an impressive rookie season after being chosen No. 1 overall in the 2011 draft. With Chudzinski — or "Chud," as he's known — working as offensive coordinator of the Browns in 2007, quarterback Derek Anderson enjoyed a Pro Bowl season.

Besides Fisher, the only other candidate to have already interviewed with St. Louis is Arizona defensive coordinator Ray Horton. So with the exception of Fisher, the rest of the known candidates have no head-coaching experience. And one of the biggest issues for first-time head coaches and younger head coaches is what kind of a staff they can assemble around them.

The fact that the Rams' list of candidates has been fleshed out over the past couple of days might be an indication they are growing impatient waiting on Fisher. Or it may be a sign of concern that Fisher is leaning toward the Dolphins.

But the Rams also have taken pains to keep their coaching list (beyond Fisher) a secret because their candidate list is different from most others.

It's also quite possible that the Rams have an ace in the hole on their list — one with more name recognition than the "B-listers" behind Fisher. That could mean they're courting a college coach who is insisting on privacy to protect the recruiting process. It could mean they're still pestering one of the "TV stars" such as Jon Gruden or Bill Cowher.

The team's general manager list shrunk by one Wednesday, with one-time Rams scout Ryan Grigson hired as GM by Indianapolis. That leaves only Chicago and St. Louis as teams looking for a general manager.

According to the Chicago Sun-Times, the Bears are set to interview Jason Licht of the New England Patriots, Phil Emery of the Kansas City Chiefs, Jimmy Raye of the San Diego Chargers and Marc Ross of the New York Giants. None of the four is on the Rams' current list of GM candidates.

It's coming down to money... if you ask me and control. Fisher in the neighborhood of $8 million and the fancy title — such as executive vice president — that includes final say on personnel.

My take is the money is not the biggest factor it's the control of personnel. In the interview that Kroenke gave last week where he laid out the structure, He wanted the Coach to have input but not let him pick the players. If this is true and he sticks to his guns Fisher will be out.

Kroenke first impression as our our owner is going to take a huge hit if we loss out on Fisher. Not because he's such a great coach. The fact that it came out that Fisher did not want to relocate, it is going to be an issue with fans in St. Louis. Stan needs to come out and do some PR work quick if we do not get Fisher IMO... not good.

I'm now thinking the Fins will out bid the Rams and give Fisher complete control... we shall see.
    Last edited by Rambos; -01-12-2012 at 02:14 PM.

mh-i is offline Registered User

Re: Lots of talk but no action as Rams wait on Fisher

My guess is a bidding war. Follow the money.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Somebody, anybody please wake me up when Fisher makes his decision.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Truth is offline Registered User

Glazer just finished a chat on Foxsports. He says Fisher is just really torn. He really like what the Rams have to offer. However, the possibility of a move REALLY spooks him. Nothing we haven't heard. Apparently it's not the money. He just needs to decide about the move. If money was the draw or the position and team were comparable @ Fins, I think he would have already decided. Can't blame Stan for not wanting to give any guarantees about a move. Just good business.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

macrammer is online now Registered User

Rambos,

That part about the interveiw you mention with Kroenke is not lost on me either through all of this. He clearly laid out his plan for org strucutre for winning in that interview and now Fisher seems to be asking for the type of egotistical control that Kroenke was clearly against as an org structure. I do not think it will be the money that keeps F away but the control piece that Stan will not want to give to the HC.

If we do not land Fisher, would it make sense to bring in a GM and then a HC collaboratively with new GM?
    mde8352gorams likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    However, the possibility of a move REALLY spooks him.
    If he's not going to take the job because the Rams may relocate, What message does that send to the fans in St.Louis? It must be a real consideration for Kroenke to relocate if he could not remove that fear. If the Rams relocated (and I'm in Cali and I don't want them to move back) still would not think that would be a deal breaker. He's from southern ca. when to USC, bigger market.

I think it's money and control, both teams are in negotiations with Fisher and I'm sure it's two heavy weight billionaires going at it.

macrammer
    If we do not land Fisher, would it make sense to bring in a GM and then a HC collaboratively with new GM?
    I would think so... the leadership that would not be provided by Fisher would have to come from a strong GM IMO. If we hire a first time HC and young GM, wow it will be a joke IMO. It will be just another roll of the dice and business as usual for the Rams. There are only two GM job left and we are one of them. I think Fisher is the only coach that the Rams will let hand pick the GM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

If he's not going to take the job because the Rams may relocate, What message does that send to the fans in St.Louis?
    The same message it gives ALL Rams fans......the owner is smart enough to NOT give up his leverage for a stadium deal. Smart move.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    The same message it gives ALL Rams fans......the owner is smart enough to NOT give up his leverage for a stadium deal. Smart move.
    Ok... but behind closed doors, why can't he sell that to Fisher. "I have no intent to relocate, I agree it's just too much of a distract". I will pay your contract in full if we relocate, it's not going to happen... we need a new stadium and I assure you Mr, Fisher this will not be an issue PERIOD. But I need to have this leverage until I get our new stadium deal done. Something.... the goal here is to hire the coach he wants and remove any deal breakers right?

The fact that this is out there cannot be good for the Rams IMO..

mde8352gorams is online now Registered User

The money and the control issues plus the stadium deal are making me feel....walk away. No head coach is bigger than the team and this smacks of ego all the way. Let Miami have their "prize".

I agree with macrammer's post hire a GM and then find the HC. With Fisher we are going to have an impotent GM, if the article is correct. We cannot turn the organization upside down for one person. Yesterday's posts by the Titan fan on another thread are starting to ring true, if you ask me.

Go Rams!
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Ok... but behind closed doors, why can't he sell that to Fisher. "I have no intent to relocate, I agree it's just too much of a distract". I will pay your contract in full if we relocate, it's not going to happen... we need a new stadium and I assure you Mr, Fisher this will not be an issue PERIOD. But I need to have this leverage until I get our new stadium deal done. Something.... the goal here is to hire the coach he wants and remove any deal breakers right?

The fact that this is out there cannot be good for the Rams IMO..
    He can't say that because he can't guaranty that. I'm not saying that the Rams are moving. I'm just saying that if a deal can't be worked out with the CVC they MIGHT move. With the way things leak to the media, there's no way Kroenke is going to tell anybody anything. I don't blame him. as HUb pointed out, "smart move."
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Here's a thought (I don't have many, and most are dubious at best), if Kroenke doesn't want to compromise his negotiating position with the CVC, and you can't get a proven HC because of the possibility of a move. Why doesn't Kroenke just talk to Vermiel about coaching the team until the stadium issue is resolved. He's already got him on the payroll as a consultant. Just a thought.

mh-i is offline Registered User

Why is everybody taking another article of pure speculation as Gospel? Here's how the article starts:

"Wednesday came and went with lots of rumor and speculation but very little in the way of hard facts, much less a decision by Jeff Fisher on his next head-coaching destination.

In fact, one source familiar with the negotiations said, "Nothing of any real consequence" took place Wednesday."

Everything else is space filler made up by the writer.

Follow the money.