Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Love the Bailey pick but....

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Love the Bailey pick but....

Is this an indictment that the rams FO knows they blew last years 2nd round pick for Quick?

Having 5 young up and coming talented receivers as we now possess is one hell of a commodity. Competition breeds success as they say. How will Quick and even Pettis take this news? Both these receivers are different players than Bailey but will there honestly be enough balls to go around?

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Love the Bailey pick but....

NOT AT ALL. I just don't understand why some people can't comprehend things so simple. Les Snead SAID they drafted Quick with the intentions of him being similar to Vincent Jackson. Do you think these football professional scouts and coaches are too dumb to realize hes raw and that he will take time to develop?!?!!? The damn guy that drafted him even said it'd take him time and compared him to a guy that took 3 years to finally get it.

THE DREAM TEAM

Rambos is offline Registered User

I like the idea that we have young guys that can all grow together and with Sam for the long term. What I like about these guys is none of them are the same when it comes to the skill sets. Austin is in his own world. Givens is the deep threat. Pettis is a nice red zone target. Quick can work the middle and the outside. Bailey can do it all.

We need depth, someone will get nicked at some point. We can't afford to lose one guy like DA and then the offense is not the same. We need two of these guys to become Elite IMO. Let the cream rise to the top!

One thing I know for sure, Fisher and Les just made it FUN to watch a Rams game!!!!
    MauiRam, viper, THOLTFAN81 and 3 others like this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I just don't understand why some people can't comprehend things so simple.

No need, sir. No need.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    Is this an indictment that the rams FO knows they blew last years 2nd round pick for Quick?
    No, they're different types of weapons. Quick has the kind of size that no one else on this roster offers, except Pettis.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

citr92 is offline Registered User

also, quality depth is important

one guy goes out...another guy comes in and has the potential to be even more productive depending on the game

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Actually I see improvements both on Offense & Defense. Your right competition does breed success. Among the WR trying to make the team, oh yes it does. But since in training camp, the secondary are pitted against the WR in drills and mock skirmishes, that competion improves the defense.

Its ironic, knowing that all NFL teams use this as a training tool, that some teams have such poor secondaries. New Orleans couldn't stop anyone last season, but yet had a great QB and WR core...same with Detroit, etc, etc & etc. Perhaps, coaches see the weakness and don't have the time nor talant to address the problem.

If there is a "weakness" to worry about, I worry about the Rams secondary. Last season, there was a need for serious improvement, but for the most part the secondary was young and untested. Hopefully, this upgrade in the WR core bring up the CB/S/LB skills up as well.

As to who and how may balls they get thrown their way, I remember we had a QB once, K. Warner, who hit anyone and everyone who was open--haha! It only matters if the Rams can move the sticks and find their way into the End Zone and if it takes in 5 or more different targets (WR/TE/RB) to get there so be it. Personally that would be the best thing for the Rams, to have some many weapons as to give opponents nightmares to scheme against

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    IMO, it's more a recognition that they only have 3 WRs under contract.
    ManofGod and chucknbob like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

bruce4life is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    NOT AT ALL. I just don't understand why some people can't comprehend things so simple. Les Snead SAID they drafted Quick with the intentions of him being similar to Vincent Jackson. Do you think these football professional scouts and coaches are too dumb to realize hes raw and that he will take time to develop?!?!!? The damn guy that drafted him even said it'd take him time and compared him to a guy that took 3 years to finally get it.
    Sosa my man, no need to get all pissy and hasty sir. I was merely posing a question to debate on no more no less. Our wr corp is the best it's been since 05'.

Here's to hoping that all of our receivers mesh together and becoming a cohesive unit !!
    RamDez and RebelYell like this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quick was drafted with the knowledge that he wouldn't see the field much his first year. He was raw, came from a DII school, and needed time to learn. But he had the physical tools and talents. I see a lot of writers basically dismissing Quick as a bust. I noticed on Walter Football that he was having the Rams snag a WR because of how disappointing QUick was in his first year. That's just an example, and he's not a Mel Kiper or other pundit I'd put more weight in, but that seems to be the general feeling. It's not true though, Quick just needs time to learn the pro game. He isn't being replaced, but before we drafted Austin, we had what, three WRs? It might have had more to do with not having enough WRs and less about Quick not being any good.

Just look at Demarius Thomas. When he was drafted, the Broncos knew he was raw, he came from a school that runs about 3 routes a year, total, and he'd need time to develop. First year, 22 rec. for 283 yards. This year? 94 rec. for 1,434 yards. This was his third year. Took him two full years, but he developed into what the Broncos thought he could be.

Quick needs more time before we can dismiss him as a bust or a mistake. Patience my friend, patience.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

chucknbob is offline Registered User

When you only have 3 receivers on a roster, you have to get more. That's what we did. I don't think Austin and Bailey are in any way replacing Quick beacuse they're different types of players.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Quick has the best potential to be our outside guy, both Bailey and Austin are both inside guys. Totally different types of players.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Quick has the best potential to be our outside guy, both Bailey and Austin are both inside guys. Totally different types of players.
    Both have experience playing outside, but Bailey will be primarily outside while Austin will be the jack-of-all-trades in the receiver/tailback position (but mostly in the slot).

TekeRam is offline Registered User

What scares me the most is that we have very few tall receivers, but then again, I guess that is why we have Cook and hopefully Kendricks coming on in his third year. Assuming that Quick is a starter, he gives us a prototypical guy on the outside. I assume that Givens will also start at flanker.

But if Quick goes down, I guess we have Pettis as our starting SE? I just don't see a 5'10" guy in Bailey who can start outside, sorry.
    I believe!

jsimcox is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    I just don't see a 5'10" guy in Bailey who can start outside, sorry.
    How tall is Greg Jennings? 5'11"?

He is very similar to him size and weight wise and Jennings has never had any problems on the outside.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

There are a couple of guys around that height who have been able to find success on the outside. Jennings is one, but also Golden Tate, Lance Moore, Antonio Brown, just to name a few. Obviously it's not ideal, but it's not an automatic disqualifier either.

Stedman was a very dangerous receiver on the outside against big time programs. I wouldn't count him out as a weapon on the perimeter simply because of his height.
    jsimcox likes this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast