RamWraith is offline Registered User

A love/hate relationship

I believe this will be my feelings on Jackson all season. In one breath I find myself yelling four letter words at the TV after one of his patented 5 yard loss runs. Then the guy goes and lays it on the line in the 4th quarter and looks like he is fricking a man possessed. What is the deal with him? What can we expect this year? I just can't figure him out.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Re: A love/hate relationship

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    I believe this will be my feelings on Jackson all season. In one breath I find myself yelling four letter words at the TV after one of his patented 5 yard loss runs. Then the guy goes and lays it on the line in the 4th quarter and looks like he is fricking a man possessed. What is the deal with him? What can we expect this year? I just can't figure him out.
    He will have at least a 1500 yard season. The guy is not Marshall faulk or really what he's trying to be, a finess back he's a run down your throat back. But at the same time he has to be patient and take what the D gives him, which he did.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    In one breath I find myself yelling four letter words at the TV after one of his patented 5 yard loss runs.
    What else should he be doing when he's greeted in the backfield by a defender? I don't recall seeing any negative yard runs where Jackson missed a clear and open hole from the O-line.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Milan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    What else should he be doing when he's greeted in the backfield by a defender? I don't recall seeing any negative yard runs where Jackson missed a clear and open hole from the O-line.
    I don't remember too many runs where the O-line gave him a clear and open hole... Even on one of his biggest runs, it was because the defender over pursued when he cut back.

great bronco defence and we get 100 plus rushing yards
    I feel Jasons frustration as he still does dance a little but you still got to love the result tonight

Brain Daddy is offline Registered User

Jackson reminds me of (a more talented version of) Kevan Barlow. He's tall and likes to make people miss, although he can run them over. When he gets in the open field, he's dangerous. If there's any question about your offensive line, though, he's going to struggle.

I didn't buy him as a quarterback. He's just so stiff, especially when he drops back to pass. Really stiff. He reminds me of Kurt Warner.
    -- Kevan Barlow on Adam Sandler's performance in The Longest Yard

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Brain Daddy View Post
    Jackson reminds me of (a more talented version of) Kevan Barlow. He's tall and likes to make people miss, although he can run them over. When he gets in the open field, he's dangerous. If there's any question about your offensive line, though, he's going to struggle.
    What RB wouldn't struggle with a crappy o-line? Frank Gore?

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Brain Daddy View Post
    If there's any question about your offensive line, though, he's going to struggle.
    Well, I guess "struggle" is a relative term because last year we had numerous questions about our banged up, patchwork offensive line and he was able to get almost 1400 yards from scrimmage and 10 TD's.

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    What RB wouldn't struggle with a crappy o-line? Frank Gore?
    Touchy, touchy. Allow me to rephrase.

Some backs are able to get more with less, due to different builds and different styles of play. Since you brought him up, a guy like Gore is compact, north-south runner who is able to hit the hole hard and get up under defenders and move them back. With a bad line, he'll probably be a more consistent runner.

Guys like Jackson and Barlow are tall and are shifty. Their size means they don't accelarate as quickly and aren't as good as getting under defenders. They tend to dance, but once they get a full head of steam, they can run defenders over and drag them several yards. They'll struggle more than a compact, north-south runner when the line isn't as good, but once the line is there, they can be just more dangerous and are good for making big plays.
    Last edited by Brain Daddy; -09-10-2006 at 10:09 PM.

I didn't buy him as a quarterback. He's just so stiff, especially when he drops back to pass. Really stiff. He reminds me of Kurt Warner.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Well, I guess "struggle" is a relative term
    Certainly. I was referring to that type of back in general.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I with you 100%, SJ at times lookes like a man among boys and then he has three plays for - yards. Today he was a man among boys, I hope he has his breakout year and does not hurt too mant DB in the process. Great job today SJ.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

It's interesting that SJ attracts the type of attention attested to in two diametrically opposite threads that have been expertly summed up in this one. People either love him or hate him.

For me, the truth lies somewhere in between. I don't think he's perfect (Who is?) but he's not the complete bust that some would perhaps make him out to be. The thing is, (And this is all I'm going to say on this subject......promise) it's his mouth more than his legs that have prompted the extremes in reaction.

As far as his play goes, he's trier with good physical skills who has the capability of being a perennial 1'000 yard, 10TD's a season back. Can't fault him for effort it seems, it's just that he suffers from moments of indecision at times. Not all of it is the lines fault and even if it were, I'd expect great backs to be able to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear on occasion and he did.

He hit 120 yards and the team won the most important game of the season bar the last game of the season.

If that's perfect, then I want more.

If that's a bust, then I want to see great.

Truth's somewhere in between as usual, but I think he did his job today.

RealRam is offline Registered User

...Then the guy goes and lays it on the line in the 4th quarter and looks like he is a fricking man possessed. What is the deal with him? What can we expect this year? I just can't figure him out. --RWraith
    That is the nature of The BEAST.

:r Hopefully we have one mean, punishing Ram in the making!