GreatestShow99 is offline Registered User

Madison Hedgecock can't wait to take on his former team (N.Y. Times)

Giant Is Eager to Butt Heads With His Former Team

By JOE LAPOINTE
    Published: September 10, 2008

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Madison Hedgecock remembered the circumstances vividly and his emotions, too. It had been one year since he was suddenly cut by the St. Louis Rams after the first game of the 2007 season.

“When you get fired, it’s a tough deal,” Hedgecock, the Giants’ fullback, said Wednesday after practice. “I didn’t think I did anything as a player to deserve it.”

Hedgecock, 6 feet 3 inches and 266 pounds, is primarily a blocker for Brandon Jacobs and will return to St. Louis for the first time Sunday when the Giants play the Rams in the Edward Jones Dome.

“I definitely had this one on my calendar,” Hedgecock said. “That will be a lot of fun. I didn’t get an opportunity to prove myself there. So I’ll have to do it on another team. It’s a golden opportunity.”

A year ago, on his day off after the season opener, Hedgecock was driving a tractor across a farm, grinding up corn stalks for a friend. Hedgecock’s dog, Susie, was with him when his cellphone rang.

“They said, ‘Bring your playbook and come to the stadium,’ ” Hedgecock said. “You know what that means. I was thinking like: ‘They just cut me? Why did they cut me?’ I was just like in shock. My dog was mad, too.”

It is hard to imagine a more fortunate aftermath to a dismissal. Hedgecock was picked up two days later by the Giants, who went on to win the Super Bowl. The Rams finished 3-13. But, at first, Hedgecock was thinking of more basic things.

“You can eat,” he said. “You’re not going to starve. In the end, it turned out to be real nice.” Along with the championship ring, he got a new contract for five years at $5.5 million.

In January, days before the Giants beat New England in the Super Bowl, Hedgecock made a few blunt comments about the Rams and their coach, Scott Linehan, who replaced Hedgecock with Richard Owens.

“The head coach brought in a player that he’d had in college,” Hedgecock told St. Louis radio station KSLG. “They could have at least brought in somebody that was good. He was the coach’s buddy. I don’t want to play for a buddy.”

Hedgecock said he played in 2006, his second season, with an ankle sprain and a broken thumb. “They repay you for playing hard and hurt by cutting you,” Hedgecock said in the radio interview. He added that Linehan was “pretty boring” and that “I can’t even be nice about it anymore.”

Owens no longer plays for the Rams. When asked about cutting Hedgecock, Linehan said Wednesday in a conference call that it was a difficult decision made because he needed someone who could play backup fullback and tight end.

“He was real disappointed,” Linehan said. “He was respectful and very professional. Madison’s a great kid. I was jealous of him, watching the Super Bowl. But I was also happy for him.”

Before the Super Bowl, while discussing how Hedgecock was no good for the Rams but valuable for the Giants, Jacobs said, “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.”

When a large group of reporters gathered around Hedgecock’s locker after practice Wednesday, his teammates nearby began to shout out questions and answers.

“You going to be playing with a chip on your shoulder?” one voice said.

“They said you weren’t good enough,” added another.

Hedgecock, smiling and cooperative, tried to keep his words as bland as possible, saying he wished he could give the reporters “some headline news.”

“But I’m the one who’s got to block out there,” he said.

His blocking last week earned the praise of Coach Tom Coughlin after a 16-7 win over Washington. Hedgecock had a key block on linebacker London Fletcher that sprang Jacobs for a 24-yard gain.“Excellent fit,” Coughlin said. “A physical, blocking, lead-blocking fullback that has good hands, can be a factor in the play-action passing game. Has done an outstanding job on special teams.”

Hedgecock grew more comfortable Wednesday when discussing his North Carolina background and his interest in farming and Nascar. He said he grew up next to a church founded in 1756 and that his ancestors were involved in the Revolutionary War.

He took to football as a boy because it had a lot in common with farming. “It was more or less a way to showcase toughness,” Hedgecock said. “I grew up on a farm. I was always doing tougher work, in the heat, in the dirt.”

He shrugged when it was suggested that his fullback position is becoming rare as the sport evolves away from it.

“It ain’t died yet,” Hedgecock said. “It’s been dying ever since I’ve been playing for 27 years.”

Along with blocking, Hedgecock caught six passes last season for 45 yards and two for 8 yards in the postseason. Last week, he caught one pass for 4 yards. But he still has not carried the ball.

“Somebody said, ‘Describe your job description,’ ” Hedgecock said. “I said: ‘All right. I block. I catch the ball sometimes. And I run the ball in my dreams.’ ”

Mooselini Guest

Re: Madison Hedgecock can't wait to take on his former team (N.Y. Times)

It's okay Madison. We know how you feel. We let go of Isaac Bruce too. Don't worry, you weren't the only key part of the offense we let loose.

starfoxx Guest

He was the main reason why Steven Jackson had the breakout year in 2006.

ATL_Giant Guest

Uh... can I just tell you guys how much we love MH as our FB... If he were to put up few TD's this season, I could seriously see him competing for a pro bowl spot.

He has helped our running game tremendously, and he caused a very big, talented young FB (Douglas) to get cut.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Oh, don't we know it, ATL. We clannies knew that Hedgecock was a good, if not great, FB, who has no aspirations other than to crush the hell out of some poor soul trying to tackle his RB or QB. He's a true team player and is only getting better.

I definitely love Hedgecock's remarks about Owens: “The head coach brought in a player that he’d had in college,” Hedgecock told St. Louis radio station KSLG. “They could have at least brought in somebody that was good. He was the coach’s buddy. I don’t want to play for a buddy.” That's both highly amusing as well as horribly depressing, since that's our coach, and another piece of evidence of how the FOSL's have brought this team down.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GreatestShow99 View Post

“ Hedgecock said. “It’s been dying ever since I’ve been playing for 27 years.”

’ ”

no wonder we cut him...the guy must be ancient!!!

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

I cheered when he was drafted and lamented his loss as soon as I heard about the cut and was left wondering what the hell Linny was thinking. still wondering...

I also didn't bat an eye when he talked some major trash last year as it was well deserved and must have been therapeutic. Was happy he found a good team for a home. But like I said, that was last year. Now i'm starting to feel like he needs to move on, stfu, and just play-

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GreatestShow99 View Post
    Giant Is Eager to Butt Heads With His Former Team

By JOE LAPOINTE
    Published: September 10, 2008

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Madison Hedgecock remembered the circumstances vividly and his emotions, too. It had been one year since he was suddenly cut by the St. Louis Rams after the first game of the 2007 season.

“When you get fired, it’s a tough deal,” Hedgecock, the Giants’ fullback, said Wednesday after practice. “I didn’t think I did anything as a player to deserve it.”

Hedgecock, 6 feet 3 inches and 266 pounds, is primarily a blocker for Brandon Jacobs and will return to St. Louis for the first time Sunday when the Giants play the Rams in the Edward Jones Dome.

“I definitely had this one on my calendar,” Hedgecock said. “That will be a lot of fun. I didn’t get an opportunity to prove myself there. So I’ll have to do it on another team. It’s a golden opportunity.”

A year ago, on his day off after the season opener, Hedgecock was driving a tractor across a farm, grinding up corn stalks for a friend. Hedgecock’s dog, Susie, was with him when his cellphone rang.

“They said, ‘Bring your playbook and come to the stadium,’ ” Hedgecock said. “You know what that means. I was thinking like: ‘They just cut me? Why did they cut me?’ I was just like in shock. My dog was mad, too.”

It is hard to imagine a more fortunate aftermath to a dismissal. Hedgecock was picked up two days later by the Giants, who went on to win the Super Bowl. The Rams finished 3-13. But, at first, Hedgecock was thinking of more basic things.

“You can eat,” he said. “You’re not going to starve. In the end, it turned out to be real nice.” Along with the championship ring, he got a new contract for five years at $5.5 million.

In January, days before the Giants beat New England in the Super Bowl, Hedgecock made a few blunt comments about the Rams and their coach, Scott Linehan, who replaced Hedgecock with Richard Owens.

“The head coach brought in a player that he’d had in college,” Hedgecock told St. Louis radio station KSLG. “They could have at least brought in somebody that was good. He was the coach’s buddy. I don’t want to play for a buddy.”

Hedgecock said he played in 2006, his second season, with an ankle sprain and a broken thumb. “They repay you for playing hard and hurt by cutting you,” Hedgecock said in the radio interview. He added that Linehan was “pretty boring” and that “I can’t even be nice about it anymore.”

Owens no longer plays for the Rams. When asked about cutting Hedgecock, Linehan said Wednesday in a conference call that it was a difficult decision made because he needed someone who could play backup fullback and tight end.

“He was real disappointed,” Linehan said. “He was respectful and very professional. Madison’s a great kid. I was jealous of him, watching the Super Bowl. But I was also happy for him.”

Before the Super Bowl, while discussing how Hedgecock was no good for the Rams but valuable for the Giants, Jacobs said, “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.”

When a large group of reporters gathered around Hedgecock’s locker after practice Wednesday, his teammates nearby began to shout out questions and answers.

“You going to be playing with a chip on your shoulder?” one voice said.

“They said you weren’t good enough,” added another.

Hedgecock, smiling and cooperative, tried to keep his words as bland as possible, saying he wished he could give the reporters “some headline news.”

“But I’m the one who’s got to block out there,” he said.

His blocking last week earned the praise of Coach Tom Coughlin after a 16-7 win over Washington. Hedgecock had a key block on linebacker London Fletcher that sprang Jacobs for a 24-yard gain.“Excellent fit,” Coughlin said. “A physical, blocking, lead-blocking fullback that has good hands, can be a factor in the play-action passing game. Has done an outstanding job on special teams.”

Hedgecock grew more comfortable Wednesday when discussing his North Carolina background and his interest in farming and Nascar. He said he grew up next to a church founded in 1756 and that his ancestors were involved in the Revolutionary War.

He took to football as a boy because it had a lot in common with farming. “It was more or less a way to showcase toughness,” Hedgecock said. “I grew up on a farm. I was always doing tougher work, in the heat, in the dirt.”

He shrugged when it was suggested that his fullback position is becoming rare as the sport evolves away from it.

“It ain’t died yet,” Hedgecock said. “It’s been dying ever since I’ve been playing for 27 years.”

Along with blocking, Hedgecock caught six passes last season for 45 yards and two for 8 yards in the postseason. Last week, he caught one pass for 4 yards. But he still has not carried the ball.

“Somebody said, ‘Describe your job description,’ ” Hedgecock said. “I said: ‘All right. I block. I catch the ball sometimes. And I run the ball in my dreams.’ ”

Which is why we are going to win and Brandon Jacobs and Madison Hedgecock will be non-factors. YEs we let go a quality, run and pass blocking big guy, a very talented athlete and nice person, but we obviously made some poor decisions, as stated by Mooselini down below. But we are moving on, just as all football teams do after a big loss ( Brett Favre in NYJ, shawne merriman in SD) YOU MOVE ON. We are all adults and we move forward because it is business.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Is it a bad sign when an opposing player disses our coach, and there's not a soul who disagrees with him? I still think replacing Hedgecock with another team's third string tight end might be the dumbest move Linehan has made since he arrived.

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

He got his SB ring, that alone speaks louder than words. Quit crying and be thankful you got cut by a 3-13 team already.

RANDYRAM Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Guam rammer View Post
    He got his SB ring, that alone speaks louder than words. Quit crying and be thankful you got cut by a 3-13 team already.
    Linhan is a ***slang for mentally challenged*** and I hope Hedegcock has a chance on a sweep to take out our lame duck head coach Hedegcock him!
    Last edited by HUbison; -09-12-2008 at 11:21 AM. Reason: let's not use the "R" word, ok?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Guam rammer View Post
    Exactly!!!!

This guy is no superstar and never will be.

I mean how fullbacks can we name??? (Without looking them up) The position is becoming extinct. He's lucky to have a job.

NEXT!!!!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

One of the two worst personnel decisions (Fletcher, the other) of the past 5 years.

But that's okay.......we've got Owens! Ain't that right, Owens?! Owens?..........Richard?.........Rich?

Anybody seen Rich?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod