Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RAMSTAR is offline Registered User

Cool Make a trade to San Diego for QB Rivers?

What do you think about trading San Diego for Rivers. He has been there for 2 years is a great prospect and Breese has locked up the QB position.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Make a trade to San Diego for QB Rivers?

Not a chance.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamWraith is offline Registered User

why????????

I don't think that Bulger can stay healthy for a whole season, and frankly I haven't seen him show any leadership or emotion on the field. He just does what he told. Fitz may be a good qb but that is yet to be seen. I personally have never felt comfortable with Mark as QB, yes he has great skills, but does he have leadership qualities to motivate the team to perform. If you look at the greats like Favre, Young, Elway you could tell that they were the leaders just by their command presence. I always see the same lack of emotion on Mark's face...

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

There have been plenty of good QBs who showed little or no emotion on the field. Roger Staubach, Dan Fouts, Steve Young and Brian Griese are all examples.

As for Bulger's inability to stay healthy, that is a concern, but one that merits finding a good backup (who knows, maybe Fitz can be the one), not trading for a guy who wants and expects to be a starter.

Bulger hasn't shown leadership, but Rivers has? Bulger can't stay healthy for a full season, but Rivers can?

Rivers has many more questions surrounding him, so I don't know why you make this trade given your concerns, especially when (1) we have bigger areas of concern that need to be addressed and (2) Rivers would likely cost a first day pick.

I would suspect if you asked Ram players, you'd get a quick answer to your question about whether or not Marc is a leader. True, he doesn't show a lot of emotion in his play, but I don't think being a cheerleader or motivational speaker is a requirement to be a leader.

That said, I don't disagree with the notion of looking for more depth at the QB position. Martin performed very well against the Cardinals, but I don't think he puts up those numbers on a regular basis, and in fact in previous games this season he hasn't.

The most important thing for the Rams to do right now is to find out what they have in Fitzpatrick. Depending on how Fitz can perform, they'll know where they stand on their QB talent.

It doesn't help, of course, that this draft's QB class is pretty weak, and that there may not be a veteran QB on the market this spring that will do well in this system.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If Fitz isn't the answer, I might take a shot on a Kyle Boller or Joey Harrington, both of whom might be available "on the cheap" soon.

moklerman is offline Registered User

If the Rams trade anything of value to get a qb they're going to be in for another long season next year. They don't need a qb, they need to protect the qb's that they have.

I think Barron has played at about the same level as any of the other RT's that the Rams have had but he's young and should improve. So, depending on how much Pace has left, the tackles should be set for the next couple of years. The interior of the line is a different story as well as depth overall. Although I think there have been improvements to the line, it hasn't been enough.

The $64,000 question is does it really matter how good the talent is, or is it the scheme that's the problem? With all that's happened over the years I have to think it's a faulty design in the offense. Green, Warner, Martin and Bulger all lost significant time to injury and every year there's a supposed solution at right tackle. Fred Miller, Ryan Tucker, hell, even John St. Clair have gone on to other teams and become starters. Maybe not pro-bowlers but servicable enough to start in the NFL.

If Bulger can return to health, protecting him should be the priority, not replacing him. And by protection I mean designing an offense that doesn't require the qb stand in the pocket until the last possible moment. A successful play should not include the qb getting plastered. If Martz can modify his system to the point where big plays can happen without the qb getting it I say go for it. If he wants to keep running things the same old way, I say move on.

general counsel is offline Registered User

The rams have many many problems. Bulger isnt one of them. Is he perfect? Of course not. But giving up assets to improve a postion that we are already strong at makes no sense to me. Bulger is the #1 rated passer in the nfc, if we protect him, he is as good as anyone. I like rivers too, buts its not what we need.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    why????????
    That was my exact thought when I read the topic.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMSTAR
    Fitz may be a good qb but that is yet to be seen.
    How much have you seen of Rivers?????????

No one knows what Rivers will be, it's all speculation right now.
    Last edited by ramsbruce; -11-23-2005 at 03:33 PM.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Granted that Bulger is not likely to become the next John Ellway, but he has been mostly very good when healthy. To mortgage our future for an unknown quantity at the QB position would be crazy as we have GLARING needs at other poisitions particularly on defense!

:football:

I agree that we have glaring needs at other positions particularly on defense and on offensive line. But also remember we have spent how many 1st round picks on Defensive lineman and they have yet to stop a runner. I don't disagree with you;
    If the Rams trade anything of value to get a qb they're going to be in for another long season next year. They don't need a qb, they need to protect the qb's that they have.
    Haven't we been in for a long season the past 2. I mean lets face it yes we made the playoffs 8-8 but realistically we shouldn't have. I haven't seen Rivers play except in preseason games here in San Diego and he was good, but he is also a big guy that can take a hit. If we can't protect our current QB we need a tougher one. I don't downplay Marks QB ability, but comeon with Bruce/Holt/Curtis/Mcdonald and Looker, Martin looks good. I hope we see Fitz next game, he is working with the first squad so lets keep our fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMSTAR
    I haven't seen Rivers play except in preseason games here in San Diego and he was good
    Another QB that looked good in the preseason? Chris Chandler.

Bottom line, we can't sacrifice resources to acquire another quarterback with so many other more important needs that have to be filled.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

QB is not our problem. Now, if you want to Andra Davis.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast