Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man...

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Man...

I would feel a lot better at the WR position if Devaney/Spags didn't want a team of boy scouts. When Devaney is eventually fired and five years from now we are going to be looking back at this recent 2010 nfl draft and shaking our heads. How he landed on taking Mardy Gilyard who I never foresee as being a true #1 WR in the NFL in the fourth round over Mike Williams who has size speed and everything going for him is beyond me. I can't turn on an NFL Access or read a football story without a glowing report about the guy. He is tearing it up for the Bucs and is going top be a top 10-15 WR in the next 5 years. Given, he has had some character issues, but this is going to be yet another example that sometimes people deserve second chances and you need to look past them.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Man...

I agree... Not about Gilyard not being good but c'mon... we have like what 3 or 4 natural slot receivers? Avery, Amendola, and Gilyard. We are not going anywhere for now until we get a serious WR

Bosna-Ram is offline Registered User

I say stay with what you got and wait till next year to draft wide receiver in first round. There is still time to bring someone in after other teams start cutting players. I like few of our guys and i think that we will be better than what most people think. GO RAMS!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

You know, they said Claude Wroten was a first round talent taken in the fourth, too. And how about that Maurice Clarett? Can anybody recall the last time that a player dropped three rounds due to character issues and actually proved everybody wrong about them?

TheBritishRam is online now Registered User

Rey Maualuga dropped because of character issues, anyone regret not taking him over Laurinaitis?

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

I still have a Lawrence Phillips jersey. He'll get back on the straight and narrow, right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MACD is offline Registered User

I think I'll just wait for history to be recorded before I record my thoughts on it.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    How he landed on taking Mardy Gilyard who I never foresee as being a true #1 WR in the NFL in the fourth round over Mike Williams who has size speed and everything going for him is beyond me.
    Strange that williams was left to the fourth round instead of going in the 4th with such obvious #1 potential.

Also hasn't the clan in mass already disproven your little "a team of boyscouts will never win the superbowl" argument. It is getting tiresome.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

I'd hold off on saying how much better Mike Williams is than Mardy Gilyard being that neither of them have actually played a game in the NFL.

And honestly, I'm glad we didn't draft Mike Williams, and this is coming from a diehard Syracuse fan. After he was suspended for a year for cheating on his tests, Marrone gave him the second chance you were talking about. And he ended up getting suspended for the Akron game, then quitting the team in anticipation of being suspended again for breaking curfew! I can overlook an arrest or two, people make dumb mistakes. But after he got his second chance, he kept getting in trouble and committed the cardinal sin in any team sport, he quit the team. In the middle of the season. He let down all the fans and all his teammates. So for all the talent in the world, hes not a guy I would ever want on this football team.

Richbert88 is online now Registered User

I've yet to see an NFL GM have the perfect draft.

With as many seriously deficient talent holes on the the RAMs roster that DV has had to fill, I think he has this team progressing, talent wise, in the right direction at a better than reasonable rate.

We needed a #1 WR, a franchise QB, a starting DE, an upgrade at DT, a backup RB and overall better quality on the entire roster. This was one draft. Go back two years, two drafts. You can't get the best of everything every single year. You do the best you can and make compromises. But if your building with standards and you have ideas, I can't fault the guy for sticking to those standards. Character is important and this team isn't going to get better overnight, so why compromise those standards.

Hindsight is great. But until DV develops a time machine or the ability to see in men's souls, this second guessing is worthless.

We got a franchise QB. We got a starting OT. We got some prospects at CB, WR and DE. In this draft. Next year, perhaps we get a #1 WR type, and a backup RB. Or a high end DE.

One step at a time. This team is, IS, moving in the right direction.
    Semper Fi!

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    You know, they said Claude Wroten was a first round talent taken in the fourth, too. And how about that Maurice Clarett? Can anybody recall the last time that a player dropped three rounds due to character issues and actually proved everybody wrong about them?
    These guys are going to be premier NFL players just as soon as they are given another chance. Heck, the best way to show you have the desire and work ethic to be the best is to quit on your team mid-season. What better way is there?

shower beers is offline Registered User

1-- It's the pre-season. (see David Clowney, who blows up every preseason)

2-- Williams had waaaaay to many character concerns to worry about, and we have no reason to believe they'll magically stop in the pros.

3-- Gilyard was considered comparable talent, and just happened to fall to the fourth as well. This year's draft was exceptionally deep.

4-- Neither one has played a real down of football yet.

5-- AlphaRam wins the thread. Let's pack it up and go home early folks.

Alec22 is offline Registered User

32 nfl team passed up on him 3!! times. Some of them 4. Dev/Spags have done a great job imo in completly reworking this roster and getting both the players and fans excited again

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

"Be Prepared" is the Boy Scout Motto...what's so wrong with that?
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

swatter555 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Alec22 View Post
    32 nfl team passed up on him 3!! times. Some of them 4. Dev/Spags have done a great job imo in completly reworking this roster and getting both the players and fans excited again
    I am not going to comment on if the "four pillars" are crippling our team, but I kinda like your final sentence. You do realize that this re-worked roster is one injury (SJAX) away from going 0-16, right? Now, if we had a couple of decent WRs and a decent backup HB, we could survive and injury to SJAX. As it stands today, if SJAX goes down for the season with an injury, its time to plan for next year's draft. We would be baaaaaaaaaaad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast