general counsel is offline Registered User

manu and the cap part 2

According to barry waller, manus 2006 salary is 1.325 million (he didnt answer as to what the total cap number is if you include the prorated signing bonus)

barry says that if manu is cut pre june 1 (which obviously would give you the most use of the savings since presumably that is when there are better guys available to sign), we would save only 125k this year. That is a big big cap hit, over a million dollars. It wont happen guys.

if he is cut after june 1, we would take a cap hit of a bit over 400k this year and about 600k next year.

These numbers may not be exact, but i think it makes the point (as barry does) that it is unlikely that manu is going anywhere for this season.

In 2006, lets throw him the ball and see if he can actually catch and get someone else on the relative cheap who can block. I have no objection to a middle round developmental tight end, but this cap view seems to rule out a high dollar free agent.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

majorram is offline Registered User

Re: manu and the cap part 2

You know I look back now, wow did we make a mistake on this guy, never should of matched that offer...

steve:clanram:
    "The breakfast Club"

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Sure we have to keep him cap wise for now, but I don't think Roland Williams will be back. We need another TE, so we draft one of the studs hopefully, and they become our #1TE and Manu can sit and rot til we can cut him when it's cap friendly.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    What next, NFL gay players kissing on the mouth. To me it is S.O.S.: simply/obscene/sickening. Rest assured I will never cheer for a known homo player

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

I don't necessarily think that Manu is a great player by any means, however he is worth keeping around for roughly $1.3 million. I have always thought he had soft hands but the TE position (until now) just never has a very significant role in the Rams style of offense. Giving Manu one more year couldn't hurt given the cap numbers quoted above.

chiguy is offline Registered User

At the time, I wondered why we matched that contract offer. It was an enormous amount of money for a guy who hadn't proven anything and I was willing to let him walk, especially considering how infrequently we threw to the TE in Martz's offense. But I agree 100% -- it makes no cap sense to cut the guy, so we might as well see what he's made of.

RE: another TE. Don't forget the kid we drafted last year (Collins, right?). Who knows if he's any good or not.

AugustaRamFan is offline Registered User

At one time I was a Manu fan. Then it happened! I do not remember the game, but Bulger threw a strike to Manu down the middle of the field. All Manu had to do was extend his arms to make the reception - BUT HE SHORT ARMED IT and MADE A HALF A** attempt. The replay made me ill!!!!

Ever since then I have been wishing he was gone!

It's funny how one play can change your opinion of a player - ONE PLAY!

ARF ARF!!

majorram is offline Registered User

It funny all I remember about Manu is that catch he made against the Hawks in that famous come from behind game and THATS IT!!!!! yep well worth his salary :bored: but we are stuck with it!!

steve:clanram:
    "The breakfast Club"

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

I believe that very few are willing to cut him loose with the cap implications. I just think that most people see him as a big disappointment and can't understand why we matched that offer. I just think that for what we are paying him that he has failed to meet the expectation or is worth his salary. Perhaps, under the new regime and in a new scheme he can prove his worth. Then again, he is Manu...we shall see...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

Thats true lets see what happens and go from their ?? But I do agree with what has been said here ...

chiguy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRamFan
    I just think that most people see him as a big disappointment and can't understand why we matched that offer.
    I understand why we matched the offer -- Mike Martz thought he was a bigger, badder Trung Candidate. :tongue: