Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Manumaleuna impresses Martz

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    What it boils down to is that I believe a lot more coming out of Parcells (and other coaches' mouths) more than Martz's.
    Fair enough. But my point is, does that have anything to do with how well our team is going to do, and what kind of coach Martz is? Is he going to be a better coach and achieve more wins if he changes his approach to answering media questions so you believe him more?

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

moklerman is offline Registered User

I don't know that it would make a huge difference in the win/loss column but that's not what the conversation was about. I guess you're trying to say that Martz could show up to a press conference with a green mohawk hair-cut, wearing only red, leather underwear, his nipples pierced and a big tattoo across his chest that reads "spank me, mommy" and it wouldn't matter as long as he has a winning record?

Whereas I find it somewhat important, when supporting anything, the manner in which that particular entity conducts itself. In this case, Martz has established that his word is worth about as much as a refrigerator in an igloo. At least a small part of following the Rams, for me, are the press conferences, training camps, personnel moves, injuries, etc. There's a lot more to the Rams than just game day. Martz has eliminated the prospect of following what the coach has to say since he is so full of "it". That's my complaint.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I don't think that Martz is "full of it." He just has a tendancy to speak off the cuff and say things that he thinks at that moment, even though he might later change his mind. He is actually quite frank and candid, as his recent comments about his doubting Gordon's injury demonstrates.

By the way, Mok, what's with that quote on your sig? Is that supposed to be dig at Bulger? Seems pretty lame to me.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

They just paid Manu a ton of money, probably overpaid for him, so in typical Martz fashion, they are going to praise him.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    By the way, Mok, what's with that quote on your sig? Is that supposed to be dig at Bulger?
    I kind of like that quote!

Standing alone, it is out of context, and my mind gets to wandering again. :redface:

Signing, reminds me of another notch on the belt, and well, not going out looking or anything, leads me to believe that Bulger has yet to discover that the "chase" can be very exciting unto itself.....

At least that's the way I remember it

I don't know that it would make a huge difference in the win/loss column but that's not what the conversation was about.
    It is for me, because I don't have a problem with Martz puffing up players in the media as long as he's getting the job done on game day. You talk about how important some of these other events are, and while I'm not disagreeing with their importance, I think we have enough outlets to where we don't need or have to depend on the word of the head coach for every single fact and hold him to being 100% honest and objective on everything.

But on another note, are you telling me you'd prefer Martz comes out in a press conference and goes into not only how good people are looking, but also their weaknesses and what they're having problems with? That's the last piece of information I'd want out in the public from a head coach, because I'm sure people from other teams are looking at that and will be thinking about it when it comes gameplan time. If Martz comes out and says Manu's having problems picking up blitzes or the interior line is struggling against complex line stunts, do you really want Martz to announce that to the world? I sure wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    By the way, Mok, what's with that quote on your sig? Is that supposed to be dig at Bulger? Seems pretty lame to me.
    Of course it's a dig at Bulger. I hope I never come to a point in my career as a Rams fan where I regularly draw attention to something a player said to try and make him look bad. But maybe that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    Of course it's a dig at Bulger. I hope I never come to a point in my career as a Rams fan where I regularly draw attention to something a player said to try and make him look bad. But maybe that's just me.
    Ahhh, cmon.

Lighten up a little!!

Find some humor in your grief. Adding more negativity to something you view as negative is not the solution, rather, it just adds fuel to the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    Adding more negativity to something you view as negative is not the solution, rather, it just adds fuel to the fire.
    Yeah, shame on me for not liking it when another Rams fan uses an out of context quote to try and make our starting QB look bad. What a Gloomy Gus I am.

No shame on you intended, Nick. Just a suggestion is all. Maybe other fans did not even notice the quote or maybe they can make up their own mind as to how it makes Bulger look. If you don't view the quote, per se, as anything negative from Bulger, then why re-enforce negative thoughts about it, by calling it out as a negative usage? Personally it doesn't matter to me. I don't agree with everything Mokler agrees with or any other fan for that matter, so I'm more inclined to make light of some of the things I don't agree with. But hey, that's just me.

If you don't view the quote, per se, as anything negative from Bulger, then why re-enforce negative thoughts about it, by calling it out as a negative usage?
    Because I don't like the idea of a Rams fan trying to make a Rams player look bad. I don't view the quote as negative, but I certainly think the intention behind using it is. And I'd be lying if I said that didn't irk me a bit.

Very well Nick. Everyones different. Glad to see you speak your mind.

:smile:

Glad to see you speak your mind.
    As if there would ever come a time when I wouldn't.

moklerman is offline Registered User

I don't view the quote as negative, but I certainly think the intention behind using it is.
    Was it a positive quote? I realize there's a couple of different ways to look at the quote and what it might mean: 1) Kurt may have done it but I'm not going to waste my time. 2) I have to keep up my image so I'll sign just enough to not get a negative attitude. 3) I'm just saying what most players think but I'm too stupid to keep my mouth shut on the subject.

Take your pick. Interpret the quote in whichever way makes you feel best about Bulger. I keep trying to encourage people to form an opinion on what was actually said, but I guess interpreting, assuming and guessing what they "meant" is more popular.

It's the first time I've ever seen an athlete utter such a sentiment and the uniqueness of the quote is what led me to adopt it as my signature. Is it a jab at Bulger? Sure, why not? I don't try and hide my feelings about him and his abilities.

I'm waiting for the Lawrence Phillips defense team transcripts by the way. Or maybe the Tony Banks shouldn't be criticized tapes. I mean, you were out there with your heart on a string defending those poor souls weren't you Nick? When they were out there committing turnovers and saying stupid things to the media you were defending them, right? I want you to admit in writing that you were trying to protect guys like that because they were Rams. I might have a new signature if you do.

I keep trying to encourage people to form an opinion on what was actually said, but I guess interpreting, assuming and guessing what they "meant" is more popular.
    Right, because you're not interpreting at all Mok. :bored:

Whatever. Have fun living in your own little word where your logic and your logic alone reigns supreme. I'm done spending frustrating afternoons trying to explain my side, like how your "looking at what was actually said" is just as interpretive as anything you'd accuse us of doing. It's just not worth it anymore.
    Last edited by Nick; -08-21-2004 at 05:51 PM.

Hey guys, both of you are great Rams fans and an asset to the site. I enjoy reading both of your opinions. Please try to agree to disagree without taking petty shots at one another.

Thanks!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast