Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Marc Bulger

YodaRam Guest

Re: Marc Bulger

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    I don't know if I consider myself a Bulger basher but I'm certainly not a Bulger fan. Unfortunately, I realize my dislike of him has just as much to do with who he replaced as much as his performance on the field. It isn't Bulger's fault and I don't blame him for how things transpired but in the end, he'll never be "my guy".
    I find it funny that you don't blame him for things but you don't want him as the Q.B.? Why is that moklerman? Help me, HERE?

RAM ON!

moklerman is offline Registered User

I never said anything about who should be starting or that Bulger shouldn't be. Though much like Steve Walsh, Chris Miller, Tony Banks, etc., I'm just waiting for the next guy to take over(don't know who that is yet). I hope the current guy helps the team win, but there's hope and there's expectation.

I'm one of the lunatic fringe though, since I still believe that the previous guy would have been fine with a little coaching and support and I would have kept Bruce. Can one not root against Bulger but not root for him either? NFL Network has, and is, re-airing the 2003 playoff game between the Rams and Panthers right now and while a player can't really be judged by one game, it seems this game was a microchasm of Bulger in general.

Looked really good between the 20's and sputtered when it came to scoring TD's. Overall, between his persona, fragility, not truly earning the starter's job and a variety of other things I just don't feel excited by him being the starter. At this point, my hope is that Green get's a chance to come full circle and win a playoff game playing for his home town.

[QUOTE=YodaRam;234787]I find it funny that you don't blame him for things but you don't want him as the Q.B.? Why is that moklerman? Help me, HERE?

I think I misunderstood your question in my answer in the last post. I don't blame Bulger for what happened but he's still the guy that was given the starter's job on a silver platter. I don't blame Bulger because no QB would have turned down the starter's job especially considering that no matter how poorly he played, he wouldn't lose the job.

Bulger falls into the "Kordell Stewart" category in my mind. Pittsburgh essentially proclaimed that hell or high water, Kordell was going to be the starter. Everyone knew he wasn't the answer and even with some limited success, the team just never was going to go anywhere with Kordell at the helm. I think Bulger is a lot better QB than Kordell ever was but I still wonder what these teams feel like they owe these guys?

Why has Bulger been virtually untouchable while his predecessor, after a ton of personal and team success was unceremoniously dumped? Even now, there is essentially no chance that Bulger will lose his job because the team continues to bring in really old, worn out back-up's and young guys who can barely hang onto a roster spot. I mean, is Gradkowski really going to threaten Bulger's job?

But, I realize too that my sense of loyalty far exceeds what is realistic for most fans and franchises. After all the crap that I've had to watch and live through as a Rams fan, any of the key players from the '99 team would always have the benefit of the doubt from me. Warner went through some tough times and injuries but he's a Ram for life (as long as he wanted to be here)if I'm in charge. Bruce too. Neither wanted to leave and even though there were circumstances, I happen to be willing to forgive a little more for those guys because of what they helped accomplish for the perennially hapless Rams.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

much like Steve Walsh, Chris Miller, Tony Banks, etc.
    Right. Because all of those guys went to two Pro Bowls as QB of the Rams. Oh... wait.... no they didn't.

At this point, my hope is that Green get's a chance to come full circle and win a playoff game playing for his home town.
    You don't really think that Trent Green is the guy who gives the Rams the best chance to win this year, do you?

Right. Because all of those guys went to two Pro Bowls as QB of the Rams. Oh... wait.... no they didn't.
    No, because they weren't, as I feel Bulger isn't, the answer for the Rams QB position. Bulger certainly had more success as a Rams QB but his teams were just a little better than what any of the other guys had too. The Rams have never been a team that can afford a game manager at QB. Bulger will give you a high completion %, pretty good yardage and maybe even a low number of interceptions but the team's going to have to score some points and you can't run dig routes in the red zone.
    You don't really think that Trent Green is the guy who gives the Rams the best chance to win this year, do you?
    No, and I didn't say that either. It would, to me, make a nice story though if he was able to swan song a playoff victory for the Rams. Fate was against him ever winning a Super Bowl but a playoff win for the team that should have been his legacy would bookend his career nicely. That's a pretty big "if" on many levels but it's just something I would enjoy seeing.

Looking at some numbers, since Bulger's probowl years were mentioned, I found it very surprising that Dieter Brock had a better TD%(4.4 to 4.1, 4.1) and better/equal yards per attempt (7.3 to 7.2, 7.3) than Bulger in his "career" years.

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

I agree with Mocklerman.

That Carolina game was definitely a better gauge of Bulger's ability than any stats because what Bulger is missing is the leadership qualities and "intangibles" that the great QB's have to find the end zone and win big games.

Bulger had all the weapons in that game (Holt, Bruce, Faulk), home field advantage, and a week off.

Yes, Carolina was a good team that went on to lose the SB, but if Bulger can't win that game at home with all the talent in the world around him in their prime, he certainly isn't going anywhere with Drew Bennet and an aging Torry Holt.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by renrawtruk View Post
    I agree with Mocklerman.

That Carolina game was definitely a better gauge of Bulger's ability than any stats because what Bulger is missing is the leadership qualities and "intangibles" that the great QB's have to find the end zone and win big games.

Bulger had all the weapons in that game (Holt, Bruce, Faulk), home field advantage, and a week off.

Yes, Carolina was a good team that went on to lose the SB, but if Bulger can't win that game at home with all the talent in the world around him in their prime, he certainly isn't going anywhere with Drew Bennet and an aging Torry Holt.
    What a load of crap. You mean it was ok for the defense to surrender over 200 yds rushing? But god forbid Bulger make some mistakes and yet still drive the team into scoring position only to have Martz lose his nerve and call 3 safe plays in a row and not give Marc the chance to try and win it in the endzone. Some of you guys are just rediculous when it comes to expectations. Let Kurt go he is history great history but Bulger is still a top ten qb. I love the he doesnt have intangible areguement, but I guess Trent Dilfer did have intangibles right? How about Neil Odonnell did he have leadership and intangibles. Give me a freaking break it's a team sport and if your going to question Bulger you better be questioning the defense and Martz and everything else that went wrong in that game. It wasnt all on Bulger. How about the great coverage on the Steve Smith td? I know "great qb's overcome these kind of things" blah blah blah. Just like Brady overcame getting crushed by the Giants d right. Please if you blame Bulger actually watch the game and blame the other parts of the TEAM that should be held responsible as well. Be careful what you guys wish for Green might actually have to roll his wheelchair behind center this year and take some snaps. I guess Jackson doesnt have what it takes either because he is following up Marshal right. Man I just cant believe how Bulger takes the fall for this team. Dont worry for all you wishfull thinkers i'm sure the Tony Banks days are only a few years away when Bulger is gone. Then you'll be wishing Bulger was still here.
    Just Fix It

bjjones2455 is offline Registered User

I agree totally , keep Bulger on his feet longer and he will shred defenses, need serious input from Bennett and keep Pace healthy and we will be fine!

NewJerseyRam is offline Registered User

I am big Bulger supporter but he does frustrate me at times, he can make some throws that almost no one else can but then one out of every 10 or so he makes me scratch my head and wonder what the hell was he thinking. If he is protected he can win in this league and should be very proud of how he turned out as a 6th rounder who was cut a few times. I hope he wins here

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

NFL Network has, and is, re-airing the 2003 playoff game between the Rams and Panthers right now and while a player can't really be judged by one game, it seems this game was a microchasm of Bulger in general.
    Probably a good thing you didn't throw this kind of assessment out there on John Elway when he was at the point Bulger is at now.

Bulger definitely did not get the job done against Carolina, but he looked very good in his two other playoff performances, a 4th quarter comeback win he led against Seattle and the disaster against Atlanta where he got pummeled by the Falcon defense, yet still held up his end of the bargain and performed like a warrior.

Bulger still deserves the benefit of the doubt IMO before he's dismissed as an also-ran.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Richbert88 View Post
    Brady got hit 45 times in addition to those sacks. That is about 10% of the time he passed the ball, or 1 in 10. He got hit quite a bit. I am not so sure that those sack totals translate to why they made the playoffs. Certainly it wouldn't be the sole reason. New England as a whole ranked 11th or so offensively in QB Hits. NO was about 6%. HOU and CIN were at about 8.5%.

Ok, a little sarcasm as to how twice as many sacks for the Rams kept them out of the playoff vs. the amount that the Patriots had. If you really feel that I based the entire season on the sack total I think you missed the joke. I understand that there are many, many stats to consider. I just felt that it was pretty obvious that the number was twice as many as a playoff team had. The summary of my statement is this; if you cut down the sacks your quarterback has to endure, I believe, and this is strictly my belief, that you will increase your odds of winning, thereby increasing your odds of making the play offs.

Joe

Josh Guest

Marc did throw for 35+ TD's at west virginia one season.. just sayin.

What a load of crap.
    That's exactly what I thought of Bulger's day. But seriously, the defense held the Panthers to 23 points through 5 quarters of playoff football. Jeff Wilkins had 4 field goals and recovered a miracle onside kick just to give Bulger and the offense one more chance. If you honestly think Bulger was peachy during that game then you have absolutely no expectations at all. 0 Td's, 3 Int's and continual sputtering in the red zone. Very Rex Grossman-esque of Bulger that day.
    Probably a good thing you didn't throw this kind of assessment out there on John Elway when he was at the point Bulger is at now.
    I was never much of an Elway fan and I still feel he was pretty overrated. Only when he lost something off of his fastball did he become a good QB(IMO). That being said, I think Bulger has had a lot of tools...stars on offense to help him that Elway only had late in his career so that kind of comparison would be pretty tough. I do think that there are quite a few QB's out there who could step into Bulger's situation and get similar results.
    Bulger definitely did not get the job done against Carolina, but he looked very good in his two other playoff performances, a 4th quarter comeback win he led against Seattle and the disaster against Atlanta where he got pummeled by the Falcon defense, yet still held up his end of the bargain and performed like a warrior.
    The win vs. Seattle was certainly a feather in Bulger's cap but 17 points against Atlanta wasn't anything more than a push in terms of Bulger. He didn't perform poorly like the Carolina game but neither did he dispel my main criticism about him. Lots of yards, not a lot of points.

At this point, I just think Bulger has established what he's all about and capable of doing. He isn't bad like Tony Banks or Mark Rypien or whoever and I don't think he's a problem but I also don't think he's particularly unique. Maybe he will flourish in the Saunders offense, we'll all wait and see on that but based on everything so far, I think he's 2nd tier at best. Very Chad Pennington. Or Brian Griese.

YodaRam Guest

Looking at some numbers, since Bulger's probowl years were mentioned, I found it very surprising that Dieter Brock had a better TD%(4.4 to 4.1, 4.1) and better/equal yards per attempt (7.3 to 7.2, 7.3) than Bulger in his "career" years.
    Comparing Brock to Bulger is like comparing .....well.... Brock to Bulger! That's it! I'm upset now. I'm taking my ball and going home. Favre is a much better receiver and he never cries!

RAM ON!