Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Marc Bulger

Josh Guest

Re: Marc Bulger

since when is supporting a PRO BOWL Quarterback considered being a Homer?

moklerman is offline Registered User

When it's also considered that he is light years better than a QB who has a better rating.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Buzz Light Year is way better than Homer Simpson, no wait it's the other way around...oh nevermind...DOH!!

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post
    Buzz Light Year is way better than Homer Simpson, no wait it's the other way around...oh nevermind...DOH!!

TO THE SUPERBOWL......AND BEYOND!
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    I'm perfectly willing to amend my point of view when compelling information is presented to me.
    No, you're not.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

In all of the categories where "attempts" aren't the basis, Pennington is very comparable or leading. I'm still surprised that things like Adj Net Yds/Pass Attempt are something you seem to value more than completion % or passer rating.
    Mok, you're not implying that you would be just as happy having Pennington as our QB are you? Argue all this as you like, but Marc is our best chance to go anywhere fast for the near term. So talking about Pennington or anyone else as our QB is purely academic.

YodaRam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Chris58 View Post
    Mok, you're not implying that you would be just as happy having Pennington as our QB are you? Argue all this as you like, but Marc is our best chance to go anywhere fast for the near term. So talking about Pennington or anyone else as our QB is purely academic.
    I don't think that's the point. I think moklerman is comparing the "meaningful" stats between a mediocre q.b. (Pennington) and a q.b. that is considered to be well above that in a lot of Rams fans opinions (Bulger). And i believe that he has proven his point extremely well. I'm tired of seeing "fluff" stats about Bulger posted to prove that he is the man. I'm saddened by the fact. But i've always felt that M.B. has been lacking........I'll leave it at that.
    As far as "academic". You are absolutely right! Lets hope for improvement from Bulger under a new O.C.

RAM ON!

RAM ON!
    Last edited by YodaRam; -07-28-2008 at 05:29 AM.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by YodaRam View Post
    I don't think that's the point. I think moklerman is comparing the "meaningful" stats between a mediocre q.b. (Pennington) and a q.b. that is considered to be well above that in a lot of Rams fans opinions (Bulger). And i believe that he has proven his point extremely well. I'm tired of seeing "fluff" stats about Bulger posted to prove that he is the man. I'm saddened by the fact. But i've always felt that M.B. has been lacking........I'll leave it at that.
    As far as "academic". You are absolutely right! Lets hope for improvement from Bulger under a new O.C.

RAM ON!

RAM ON!
    Yoda, no doubt Bulger doesn't inspire fans with his on field demeanor and we can debate stats till the cows come home. As to what he means to the organization, time will tell, but he is the best thing we have. And even an average QB starting in the NFL can lead their team to the promise land if they have the other players around to compliment him. (translation: an OL). Oops! I didn't mean to recycle this thread again.

Go Rams 2008!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by YodaRam View Post
    I originally posted the passing stats, so let me respond here. I purposely listed all stats to avoid any ambiguity. I didn't want to cherry pick certain categories that favored either Bulger or Pennington. I wanted to present a fair, even handed comparison that people could look at and decide for themselves. Obviously when I looked at the overall picture, I thought a compelling case was made that Bulger is better statistically. That's merely my opinion and if others disagree, that's fine.

I'm just glad I'm in a position where I feel fortunate to have Marc Bulger as my teams quarterback and am excited about the coming campaign.
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -07-28-2008 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Spelling

moklerman is offline Registered User

No, you're not.
    Oh, that's what a compelling fact looks like. You've changed my mind completely. As always, you add so much to the conversation it's almost staggering. Funny how you pointed out that I don't cover enough subjects in my posts. You comment (about me) in pretty much all of them. My posts are limited in scope but I know it gets at least a few people to consider things that they haven't before.

Oh, I'm wondering what piece of information was presented to counter my point of Bulger being efficient, throwing for good yardage but not very productive in the TD department that I should change my mind?
    Mok, you're not implying that you would be just as happy having Pennington as our QB are you?
    Now that's a good question. With the little I've watched Pennington I don't have a real feel for him but I'd certainly give him a chance. If he's the most accurate passer ever playing in New York I think he would be just as good playing in a dome. He's already replicating Bulger's percentages so, discounting salaries, draft picks, or whatever real life stuff I think Pennington could do well enough for the Rams.
    So talking about Pennington or anyone else as our QB is purely academic.
    What is written and what we read on these boards is all we'll ever truly get out of it. You didn't think I thought my opinions would somehow inspire Linehan to start inquiring about Pennington, did you? Not that my mention of Chad had anything to do with bringing him to the Rams. I just used him as an example of a comparable QB in the league to Bulger to try and illustrate that perhaps Bulger is viewed with Rams colored glasses by Rams fans. An obvious statement, I know, but perspective and fandom don't have to be mutually exclusive.
    I don't think that's the point. I think moklerman is comparing the "meaningful" stats between a mediocre q.b. (Pennington) and a q.b. that is considered to be well above that in a lot of Rams fans opinions (Bulger).
    That's pretty much it. I wouldn't agree that Pennington is mediocre(nor Bulger) but why let more worms out of the can? Better than mediocre, just not elite. But, I've said from the beginning of this that I thought Bulger was a 2nd tier QB.
    but he is the best thing we have.
    That isn't the obvious statement that it's been in the past. I'm not predicting any pressure on Bulger but this is the first time in a while(ever?) that there has been a QB on the team that might stir some ideas of replacement if Bulger has a bad game or two. Green and Saunders have history as does Green from the Rams good ol' days. I'm not predicting anything but Green is certainly better than Chandler, Frerotte, etc. I could certainly deal with Green starting some games compared to what those backups did.

Oh, I'm wondering what piece of information was presented to counter my point of Bulger being efficient, throwing for good yardage but not very productive in the TD department that I should change my mind?
    The first problem is that you have set up an arbitrary basis to justify your general bashing (and yes, you are a basher) of Bulger.

But, to play your game, here are some stats for a group of comparable second-tier (i.e. not P.Manning or T.Brady) QBs, all of whom have lead their teams to the playoffs:

Name/Games Started/TDs/TDs Per Start

D.McNabb 112/171/1.53
    B.Roethlisberger 55/84/1.53
    D.Brees 90/134/1.49
    M.Hasselbeck 96/142/1.48
    M.Bulger 72/106/1.47
    E.Manning 55/77/1.40
    P.Rivers 32/44/1.38

So Bulger's right in line with these QBs. They all average within percentage points of 1 and 1/2 TDs per game started.

Of course, I'm sure you'll find some way to slice and dice this to suit your purposes or, failing that, will come up with some new stat to try to make your point.

The bottom line is, you don't like Bulger, you'll never like Bulger, and you can't get over the fact that he replaced your hero, Kurt Warner.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

On opening day of the NFL's 2008 season there will be 32 starting quarterbacks, right?

Would someone (moklerman) please take the time to rank all 32, please?

thanks in advance.

MBAP

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    MBAP
    It took me a second to get this, but obviously I'm on board!

I guess that makes Mok the founder of M-bop (wasn't that a song by that annoying teen group Hanson?)

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I guess that makes Mok the founder of M-bop (wasn't that a song by that annoying teen group Hanson?)
    Watch it, Mok's libel to argue that Hanson wasn't annoying.