I would have to disagree with this. Favre and Marino fans stuck around for many a bad stretch,
I understand where you're coming from and to an extent, agree with the premise but I still think that Warner would have really diminished whatever legacy he's got in St. Louis if he'd stayed and fumbled and bumbled his way through injuries and losing. I've supported Warner pretty vehemently through his tough times but even I thought that he deserved to be benched in '06. Three years of not addressing an obvious problem with no solution in site was enough for even me. Like I said, I don't think Warner would be where he is now if he'd stayed in St. Louis. Very possibly retired by now after the struggles that I imagine he would have had.

He's got an outside shot at playing this year and if he plays in some meaningful games...perhaps even a Cardinal playoff game/win then his career can end on a positive note if he hangs 'em up soon after. I don't think that would have been the case had he stayed in St. Louis.

But, I feel your pain and I'm having just as hard a time warming to many of the players. I was really excited about this year when Saunders was hired and Green was signed but then they let Bruce go. To the Whiners! And it felt like the rug was pulled out from under me all over again. A couple of years ago I would have bet money that Warner and Bruce would remain lifetime Rams. I never had delusions of dynasties of decades of excellence but I really thought those two would never be let go. Now, it doesn't feel like there are many "real" Rams left.

Perhaps it's just the nostalgic fondness that comes with time but the GSOT Rams just appealed to me. Bruce, Holt, Pace, Warner, Holcombe, Carter, Fletcher, etc. just felt like "our" guys. I don't know why I don't get that from the current roster but for some reason it just doesn't feel the same to me. I'll come back eventually but I feel such a disconnect from the team at times that it saddens me. The Rams have always been me team but it feels like 1995-1998 all over again. Banks, Bell, Kennison...those guys just didn't do it for me either. It just always felt...temporary with them.

Ownership changes, stars getting older, coaching changes...maybe it's just all of the above and a few years of stability will solve things for me. I don't know. Hopefully something will just click once the season starts.