Thread: Marc Bulger ..

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Marc Bulger ..

I just got off the phone with a longtime Ram fan friend who until recently resided here on Maui. He's now touring the mainland in a 40 foot RV living the good life which includes Direct TV in his motorhome. My friend was of the opinion that Bulger still appears to be afflicted with the "Deer in the Headlights" syndrome. He asked me what I thought ..

I'm no expert, or pundit, but like most ardent Ram fans I do have an opinion regarding Marc Bulger. My response to my friend was this: Why wouldn't Marc look like a deer in the headlights? The man has had the crap beaten out of him for two years straight. Opposing defenses shredded our patchwork O-line like clockwork for the last 2 years victimizing Marc time after time. Did he hold onto the ball too long last night a few times? Maybe, but on a couple of occasions when I thought he did, and I backed the play up to see exactly when the receiver broke free, (Just learning to use my DVR) Marc was already in the grasp.

Bulger still has his lightning quick release, and very good accuracy. Once his offensive line has earned his trust, I expect him to regain his confidence. How long will it take? Can't answer that one .. hopefully by the final preseason game. Having Donnie Avery back won't hurt either .. If we are to make opposing defenses pay for blitzing, Donnie would be a good guy to have around ..

Bulger is learning a completely new offense. Pat Shurmur our new OC being a former QB coach, must conjure up plays that will get the ball out of his hands quickly to help build Marc's confidence. Last night the Jets were successful in overloading one side of the line or even the middle with various blitz packages. I doubt there was a great deal of game planning against the Jets.

As Bulger gradually becomes comfortable in the new offense, he'll be able to read the coverages better and get rid of the ball quicker. I've never heard even the most vocal Bulger detractors say Marc is stupid. From all appearances he seems a very bright guy. It will be fun to watch him develop in this new offense, and hopefully have reason to develop trust in our revamped O-line. Yes - I am a Bulger supporter and I believe we can win with him if he has a decent team around him. Given what he has been surrounded with the last couple of years (this would include Linehan and the former FO), I can't wait to see what happens with the current surroundings. I know some of you won't agree, and that's ok. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

In my particular case, I am happy that Marc Bulger is our QB! GO RAMS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ram Dragoon is online now Registered User

Re: Marc Bulger ..

Got to admit Bulger is a little gun shy...and getting planted 3 times in a pre-season game isn't going to build up much trust in that line. But your right, once the line starts pass blocking, Bulger with his skills can shred a defense

Keenum is offline Registered User

No doubt, once the O-line shows Bulger that they can protect him, then Bulger will no longer be all jumpy back there. Until then, if he keeps getting sacked like he has, he will be gun shy. It's that way with pretty much any QB, no matter how good they are. Take away their solid O-line, and their production will go downhill.

jdh008 is offline Registered User

Of course there are other times when a season or two of getting beat around is enough to make a quarterback skiddish for the rest of his career, even if the protection around him gets better. Look at a guy like David Carr. Mobile QB, strong arm, bright, but by the Texans third season, he was rolling out of the pocket on every play and running out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage rather than keeping the play alive and throwing it away.

I don't think Marc is at that point yet, but it's just an example of what a couple of years of getting beat up can do to a QB.

shower beers is offline Registered User

When watching some of the preseason games on NFL network, whenever a player was interviewed and asked what the biggest adjustment has been so far, almost every player has mentioned the adjustment from camp speed to actual game speed. It looks like he could have been simply adjusting to game speed, as it was after all, the first time he has been under center in a real game situation this year. I wouldn't put much stock into his performance yet, but I may be in the minority here.

diehard99 is offline Registered User

Lack of blitz pick-up is understandable in his defense. However, we have been witness to this "deer in the headlights" thing for a long time now. I think Mark just has a problem with what he should do if things break down in the pocket and has to improvise. I wonder if the WCO will be an even bigger problem for him given his past problems wityh pocket awareness, presence ect. Besides, hes no scrambler.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by diehard99 View Post
    Besides, hes no scrambler.

That was painstakingly true, especially on one of the sacks, when he tried to move up in the pocket. Ouch, did that hurt to watch.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    When watching some of the preseason games on NFL network, whenever a player was interviewed and asked what the biggest adjustment has been so far, almost every player has mentioned the adjustment from camp speed to actual game speed. It looks like he could have been simply adjusting to game speed, as it was after all, the first time he has been under center in a real game situation this year. I wouldn't put much stock into his performance yet, but I may be in the minority here.
    Good points .. No one can say for sure at this early juncture whether he'll regain his old magic, or remain gunshy in the pocket. I believe he'll rebound given decent protection, but I'm just an optimistic fan. I wholeheartedly agree that one preseason game is far too soon to render a judgment either way.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Gun shy? really? 100% completion rate including a 50 yard pass? In his first game in this new system

Just imagine what he will be like when he gets settled.

Mooselini Guest

I think the right answer was mentioned here. From camp to season speed is much different. He went four for four on his first action he's seen in many months. Now that he has one game under his belt, lets see what he can do during the next game.

I do agree, the line needs to earn his trust. I think we need to start Smith on the right side this week. We didn't even have a right tackle play out there.