Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Marc Bulger?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Marc Bulger?

Well myself, Ferter, R8RH8Mike and a few others met up yesterday in St. Louis. A Major topic of discussion ( R8RH8Mike & Ferter) was about just how good or bad Marc Bulger was for our Rams. My thoughts are he was not so good.
    Curly Horns likes this.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Re: Marc Bulger?

You guys doing anything today? Looking forward to a great weekend of RAMS Bash.

gap

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Maybe I'm biased, but I thought he was good for the team. He was undeniably talented and efficient as a passer when he had talent around him, but he had the unfortunate distinction of being the guy who replaced Kurt Warner, which caused some fans to never truly accept him IMO. He was also put in a pretty poor situation of being behind center during the worst years of the Martz era and two completely failed regimes that followed.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Maybe I'm biased, but I thought he was good for the team. He was undeniably talented and efficient as a passer when he had talent around him, but he had the unfortunate distinction of being the guy who replaced Kurt Warner, which caused some fans to never truly accept him IMO. He was also put in a pretty poor situation of being behind center during the worst years of the Martz era and two completely failed regimes that followed.
    As an avid KW fan, and one who things the RAMS tossed him to the curb way too early, I think Bulger's biggest downfall is what is likely to keep Sam from being a superstar; the OL. What made Marc's demise come so fast was the bad OL along with a coach that refused to use TE's, FB's, and/or RB's as extra blockers to give Marc more time to get rid of the ball.

gap
    Nick, sonnyjames and lostsoul like this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by gap View Post
    As an avid KW fan, and one who things the RAMS tossed him to the curb way too early, I think Bulger's biggest downfall is what is likely to keep Sam from being a superstar; the OL. What made Marc's demise come so fast was the bad OL along with a coach that refused to use TE's, FB's, and/or RB's as extra blockers to give Marc more time to get rid of the ball.

gap
    Good point.

According to Pro Football Reference, Marc Bulger's career sack percentage is 7.4%. Bradford's is just one-tenth lower at 7.3%.

If Bradford keeps getting sacked at the rate he is this season though (11.2%), then that average is bound to go up and that's nothing but bad news for Sam and the Rams.
    live4ramin likes this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I agree with you Nick, when he had half a chance, Bulger produced. Listening to the knuckleheads I was dealing with last night, you would have thought he was a Ryan Leaf clone! LOL
    Curly Horns likes this.

citr92 is offline Registered User

first off, kurt warner is my favorite quarterback ever, that said, bulger did have big shoes to fill

only problem was, despite being a decent quarterback, is that he forced the ball, a bit too much, it usually seemed to be at the worst time to since he would normally throw an interception that way

decent quarterback, too much forcing it, if he didn't he'd have been quite a bit better

supachump is offline Registered User

I liked Bulger a lot. He was good. Unfortunately, he was hit too much to be as productive as he would of been otherwise. Hmm. Sounds familiar to what is going on now..
    Nick likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    first off, kurt warner is my favorite quarterback ever, that said, bulger did have big shoes to fill

only problem was, despite being a decent quarterback, is that he forced the ball, a bit too much, it usually seemed to be at the worst time to since he would normally throw an interception that way

decent quarterback, too much forcing it, if he didn't he'd have been quite a bit better
    It's funny that you say he forced the ball. I read an article where Marc said that if he did not force the ball down field Martz would rip into him on the sideline calling him chicken. Marc played well until the talent around him faded IMO.
    Last edited by Rambos; -09-29-2012 at 01:49 PM.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    It's funny that you say he forced the ball. I read an article where Marc said that if he did not force the ball down field Martz would ripped into him on the sideline calling him chicken. Marc played well until the talent around him faded IMO.
    I think this statement alone says a lot. Mike Martz is a QB killer. It's true that IF the O-Line is playing well, his schemes of holding onto the ball and "forcing" it downfield worked well. However, when the line broke down, it was a disaster. He never adjusted. It nearly got Kurt killed, and cost him a starting role with the Rams (which was a BIG mistake) and made a mental case out of Marc Bulger.

Bulger was talented enought to be a very good QB (not good enough to replace Warner) but his development and career were destroyed by bad O-Line play and bad play calling.
    thoey likes this.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    I think this statement alone says a lot. Mike Martz is a QB killer. It's true that IF the O-Line is playing well, his schemes of holding onto the ball and "forcing" it downfield worked well. However, when the line broke down, it was a disaster. He never adjusted. It nearly got Kurt killed, and cost him a starting role with the Rams (which was a BIG mistake) and made a mental case out of Marc Bulger.

Bulger was talented enought to be a very good QB (not good enough to replace Warner) but his development and career were destroyed by bad O-Line play and bad play calling.

i mean he forced the ball into coverage, not necessarily deep, but he could have been a much better QB but the team he had jut kept getting worse

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I thought Bulger threw one of the prettiest spirals I've ever seen; quick release, extremely accurate but still catchable balls (unlike, say, a Favre missile). Anyone who questions his heart, which was often done, is a fool,imo.The beatings he took were hard to watch at times but he just kept on getting up.

I think he was a 6th round gem that just got ground down by inept personnel decisions & insane offensive strategy.
    Nick, VegasRam and bradwill like this.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

...and then he rolled his eyes.

Done.
    "The horror"

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I loved Marc. In his prime, when we had a good team around him (specifically the offensive line), he was sharp. Can't hate the guy for doing work!

THE DREAM TEAM

prof22693 is offline Registered User

The Line killed him in the bad years and they can't let it also happen to Bradford. Marc definitely had heart and I will never forget him playing through cracked ribs. One of the most accurate passers I've seen and (yes) one of my favorite Rams.
    Nick likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast