Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    MOM
    MOM is offline Registered User

Re: Marc Bulger cant be cut soon enough...

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    If this thread has proven one thing, it's that the Bulger apologists and those wearing rose colored glasses are still in full force.

There is no way an unbiased fan comes away from yesterday's game with the idea that Marc Bulger isn't a serious part of the Ram woes. He is absolutely dreadful. I watched Kurt Warner (which was expected) outplay him, but Matt Leinart too? This circus has shifted to the wide receivers instead of the offensive line now, I wonder what's next, the waterboy? No matter who's next on the agenda, the common link is Marc Bulger. There is certainly no denying that, although I wouldn't doubt that some of you may try.

For the apologists, I don't want to hear that any QB would suffer the same fate. That is absolute crap at this point. Just admit that there are a number of QBs who could've led this team to victories in each of the last two games, and cut your losses.

Bulger played one of the best games he's played in 3 years against the Saints and it still wasn't enough. Why? Because he isn't good enough, no matter what the coach or any of the apologists say.

Bottom line is, the guy is being paid 10 million a year for doing something a good high school QB could do. Basically nothing, if winning is your idea of a job well done.

Sorry guys, but not only do I expect more, I demand more.
    So, let me get this straight...

1. It's Marc's fault that Hightower and Wells ran the ball with wild abandon? Funny, I thought he played on the OFFENSE. Silly me.

2. It's also totally Marc's fault that the receiver's can't even catch a cold? Oh, that's right! He was supposed to throw the ball, sprint downfield, and catch it himself! Silly me!

3. Oh, yeah, let us not forget that on the last drive, he was supposed to stop the clock, take himself out of the game, and sit down until the world stopped spinning so that Boller or Null could come in and save the day, all because the line couldn't stop a THREE man rush? Whoops, I forgot two crucial items: the Rams were out of timeouts with less than a minute remaining, and the other eight men on Arizona's defense dropped into coverage to cover the four receivers that couldn't even catch a cold. Silly me!

Yeah, he's the problem. Good grief!

[SIGPIC]http://www.stickershoppe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MLRPANCmini.jpg[/SIGPIC]This is for Randy! GO BRM!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

If this thread has proven one thing, it's that the Bulger apologists and those wearing rose colored glasses are still in full force.

There is no way an unbiased fan comes away from yesterday's game with the idea that Marc Bulger isn't a serious part of the Ram woes. He is absolutely dreadful. I watched Kurt Warner (which was expected) outplay him, but Matt Leinart too? This circus has shifted to the wide receivers instead of the offensive line now, I wonder what's next, the waterboy? No matter who's next on the agenda, the common link is Marc Bulger. There is certainly no denying that, although I wouldn't doubt that some of you may try.

For the apologists, I don't want to hear that any QB would suffer the same fate. That is absolute crap at this point. Just admit that there are a number of QBs who could've led this team to victories in each of the last two games, and cut your losses.

Bulger played one of the best games he's played in 3 years against the Saints and it still wasn't enough. Why? Because he isn't good enough, no matter what the coach or any of the apologists say.

Bottom line is, the guy is being paid 10 million a year for doing something a good high school QB could do. Basically nothing, if winning is your idea of a job well done.

I wouldn't say that Marc Bulgers play is dreadful but I do agree we need an upgrade at the QB position.

It's true....last season and the season before that and the season before that it was the o-line and/or injuries to the o-line that kept Marc Bulger off the radar screen as far as us the fans go. I would say the o-line has played pretty good this season a definite improvement over the last few seasons at the very least. So now the focus is on the "no-name" receivers that we have?
    Warranted or not Bulger needs to step-up his game.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

This circus has shifted to the wide receivers instead of the offensive line now, I wonder what's next, the waterboy?
    Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    So now the focus is on the "no-name" receivers that we have?
    You both seem to question why anyone would even think to bring up our receivers in a conversation about quarterback play, so that must mean you think they're a stellar group doing a simply outstanding job, yes?

I mean, we're talking about a unit in which only one (Avery) of five players was even in camp with this team. We're talking about a unit whose most targeted player yesterday (Gibson) was a guy playing only his second game with this organization. We're talking about a unit whose other three pieces are made up of an Eagles practice squad player (Amendola), a Packers cast-off who was active for only his second game yesterday, and a guy who had been sitting available on the market since early September (Kent).

Is it possible this group might not be a great asset to a quarterback? Is it possible that being tied for second in the NFC in passes dropped might have an effect on the efficiency of your quarterback? Is it an indication of a good unit when the player targeted most yesterday is a guy who has barely been here a month, someone who admits he's not yet on the same page as the quarterback?

All we can do is look at what's going on on the field. Not just part of it, not just what one guy is doing. But all of it. And yes, that includes some pretty inconsistent-at-best receiver play. To shrug that off as some trivial excuse or question how it's even brought up as a factor affecting this offense's efficiency strikes me as simply being at odds with reality. But that's just my opinion.

No matter who's next on the agenda, the common link is Marc Bulger.
    Except it hasn't been. If Bulger had started every game since the start of the 2007 season, then you'd be right in labeling him the common link. But the Rams have given three other quarterbacks (Frerotte in '07, Green in '08, and Boller in '09) a try during that time frame, either because of injury or Bulger being benched. And none of them have done any better. Often times, they've done worse.

If Marc Bulger is the common link to this team's troubles, why is it that the team continues to fail even when he's not on the field? Could that possibly suggest that there are other legitimate issues (ie. not excuses) holding this team back from being successful, issues that have prevented the Rams from being successful regardless of who's behind center?

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Warranted or not Bulger needs to step-up his game.
    I absolutely agree. With the talent he has on offense, he has to be completely on his game, because this team isn't good or consistent enough to miss when an opportunity actually presents itself. If someone is open, you've got to hit him, because who knows when he's going to be open again.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

That’s exactly why I ended the initial post in the thread with this: “Alot of Rams fans will be like "He played great". "He kept us close". I dont know about you guys, but I want a guy who can WIN and FINISH games. Not keep them close.” I knew for a fact there would be bulger enthusiasts that still think he’s the answer, and it makes me sick.
    Last edited by Nick; -11-23-2009 at 04:24 PM. Reason: There are more civil ways to express yourself than the word you chose.

npow81 is offline Registered User

I don't want to get in the middle of this and i'm not taking the time to read all of this nonsense...but what is with the '2 minute offense' its certainly not all Bulger's fault (and yes he looked to be injured in this case) but where is the sense of urgency (and we for god sake check down time after time).

RamsFanThruItAll!!! is offline Registered User

When fans like the person think that Bulger should be cut should realize he's the starting QB and the people that made him the starting QB are much smarter when it comes to football than you. Thats why they are getting paid to make those decisions. Put Keith Null in? Thats just stupid, you people saw him play a quarter of freakin preseason against 3rd stringers and you think he can make a difference? WOW!!!! ;/

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    That’s exactly why I ended the initial post in the thread with this: “Alot of Rams fans will be like "He played great". "He kept us close". I dont know about you guys, but I want a guy who can WIN and FINISH games. Not keep them close.” I knew for a fact there would be bulger enthusiasts that still think he’s the answer, and it makes me sick.
    I don't think he's great. I do think he's better than any QB the Rams have on the roster this season or could expect to have next year. In that context, we need to keep Bulger whether we like it or not through next year.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    I don't think he's great. I do think he's better than any QB the Rams have on the roster this season or could expect to have next year. In that context, we need to keep Bulger whether we like it or not through next year.
    If the Rams used that logic this past off season, we would still have Holt and Pace right now. It's not always a matter of who is the best on the roster at a certain position because sometimes you have to account for the future. This upcoming off season is the first time the Rams would actually save money by cutting Bulger, so I believe it's just a matter of time before he is gone. If they wanted to keep him around because he's the best QB, they would've kept Holt and Pace because they would certainly be the best WR and OT still on this roster. Instead, they decided to save money for the future and go for an infusion of young talent.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Gibson might yet turn out to be a decent player for the Rams, but today was not his finest hour. He lost sight of an end zone fade route in the 4th qtr. and didn't even get his hands on the ball, despite getting separation from the d-back. He had a shot at a second, albeit underthrown ball in the end zone that a better receiver would have probably caught. He jumped up and down like an idiot crying for a penalty flag on a play that when shown in replay revealed he wasn't touched at all. He fell down on a perfectly thrown 15 yard out mid-way through the 4th qtr. which would have given the Rams a first down on the drive. And on at least three separate occasions he was on a completely different page than Bulger, going in the opposite direction of the ball.

Those thinking Gibson is going to be some kind of savior better recalibrate your expectations.
    Awesome job of calling out the 22 year old rookie that's been here three weeks. The same rookie that has caught 12 balls in two games, many of them big plays and chain movers as a result of his EFFORT AND DESIRE ...

Kid is busting tail, catching balls, blocking downfield, and doing his best in a complex system, and this is the kind of crap that you decide to write about him? Even go as far as referring to him as an idiot ...

I had an opportunity to meet and talk to this kid after the game, and he is far from an idiot ...
    Last edited by Nick; -11-23-2009 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Be civil.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    If the Rams used that logic this past off season, we would still have Holt and Pace right now. It's not always a matter of who is the best on the roster at a certain position because sometimes you have to account for the future. This upcoming off season is the first time the Rams would actually save money by cutting Bulger, so I believe it's just a matter of time before he is gone. If they wanted to keep him around because he's the best QB, they would've kept Holt and Pace because they would certainly be the best WR and OT still on this roster. Instead, they decided to save money for the future and go for an infusion of young talent.
    I'm not going to weigh in on Pace either way, because once you factor in Pace's injury woes, Pace vs. Smith is a wash, but I strongly feel that not leaving a veteran like Holt on the receiving corps was a mistake this season. Our young "talent" could very much use at least one guy with actual experience to learn from.

Indeed, our experiences with the receivers this season will probably prompt the Rams to keep some veterans around for next season-it's clear going completely youth at once doesn't work.

Additionally, saving money is no longer a critical issue for the team; we're projecting to be $33 million under the cap And if it is Chip needs to go ahead and sell the team already.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I'm not going to weigh in on Pace either way, because once you factor in Pace's injury woes, Pace vs. Smith is a wash, but I strongly feel that not leaving a veteran like Holt on the receiving corps was a mistake this season. Our young "talent" could very much use at least one guy with actual experience to learn from.

Indeed, our experiences with the receivers this season will probably prompt the Rams to keep some veterans around for next season-it's clear going completely youth at once doesn't work.

Additionally, saving money is no longer a critical issue for the team; we're projecting to be $33 million under the cap And if it is Chip needs to go ahead and sell the team already.
    This is a goofy post. So wrong on so many levels.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    This is a goofy post. So wrong on so many levels.
    How? A veteran receiver more than likely would have been the difference between victory and defeat yesterday. A veteran receiver would more than likely not drop the ball as often as our current corps does. And does the opportunity cost of throwing an unproven rookie to the wolves outweigh saving money that won't be spent anyway?

Cap room is great. Except when other markets are more appealing to free agents than St. Louis.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

How? A veteran receiver more than likely would have been the difference between victory and defeat yesterday. A veteran receiver would more than likely not drop the ball as often as our current corps does. And does the opportunity cost of throwing an unproven rookie to the wolves outweigh saving money that won't be spent anyway?
    The opportunity cost equals greater reward and value in the long run because the experience our young receivers are getting is invaluable moving forward. If we had Holt here taking up a starting spot, does that not equal less playing time for both Amendola and Gibson? You basically answered your own question. Sure, no money is spent elsewhere because it is dead money, but what it's really going towards is playing time for our rookies who are going to develop and grow much quicker in the future, rather than sitting and watching.

You're trying to argue why are we throwing unproven rookies to the wolves, well, like all the teams in the NFL that is how you develop talent. You spend money on your draft picks and then play them in order for them to get better, but in our case we got rid of Holt and made some trades in order for Gibson to get time and flourish. Had Brooks Foster not gotten hurt, he would also have had plenty of opportunity to play as well. If Holt were here and Avery starting opposite him, would there be time to get Gibson, Amendola, and Foster acclimated into the offense as well as gain experience? My answer would be no.
    Last edited by Bald_81; -11-24-2009 at 01:06 AM.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Hey, let's just cut them all and start over fresh.!!!!!!!!!!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    The opportunity cost equals greater reward and value in the long run because the experience our young receivers are getting is invaluable moving forward. If we had Holt here taking up a starting spot, does that not equal less playing time for both Amendola and Gibson? You basically answered your own question. Sure, no money is spent elsewhere because it is dead money, but what it's really going towards is playing time for our rookies who are going to develop and grow much quicker in the future, rather than sitting and watching.

You're trying to argue why are we throwing unproven rookies to the wolves, well, like all the teams in the NFL that is how you develop talent. You spend money on your draft picks and then play them in order for them to get better, but in our case we got rid of Holt and made some trades in order for Gibson to get time and flourish. Had Brooks Foster not gotten hurt, he would also have had plenty of opportunity to play as well. If Holt were here and Avery starting opposite him, would there be time to get Gibson, Amendola, and Foster acclimated into the offense as well as gain experience? My answer would be no.
    Experience may help, but would they not develop faster if they could also watch and learn from a veteran. Sure, they may one day learn the ropes and tricks on their own, but watching a hall of famer show them how to do some of the tricks, such as how to make plays on the ball when going up against somebody like oh...Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie as opposed to being outmatched and letting the ball fall incomplete. would speed up the learning process. Coaching and academic theorizing and film study can only go so far.

Additionally, if the veteran was present, they would give the young receivers more time to learn the complete offense in practice as opposed to being thrown into the fray with only the most basic packages in their repertoire. Honestly, Gibson probably shouldn't be playing right now, and most certainly should not be the biggest target for the QB.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast