RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Marc Bulger catching on to West Coast offense

Marc Bulger catching on to West Coast offense
    Team is installing West Coast offense
    BY STEVE KORTE - News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS -- St. Louis Rams quarterback Marc Bulger is getting more comfortable with running the West Coast offense for the first time in his career.

"I think we were a lot more comfortable this minicamp than last one," Bulger said. "Just spitting out the verbiage and guys feeling comfortable with routes and concepts. We have a long way to go, but it was an improvement."

Learning a new playbook with a different verbiage system can be harder for a veteran quarterback than a younger one.

The veteran quarterback has to mentally block out all of the other offensive systems that he's learned.

"That's the toughest part, just words that carry over from year-to-year," Bulger said. "When they mean one thing in one offense and then (something else in) another. Sometimes I'm on the same word with a third different meaning, so you just have to try to block out the past.

"I think not only myself, everyone's doing a good job. We've had a couple mix-ups, but all-in-all I think the coaches are pleased."

Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo said he thought Bulger performed well during the team's voluntary minicamp this weekend.

"I really think the world of Marc," Spagnuolo said. "I did every time that we had to play against him. I still think he's one of those guys that gets the ball out quick. He can put some pressure on the defense, and if the quarterback can put pressure on the defense, that's pretty good from an offensive point of view."

Spagnuolo said Bulger appears to be picking up the new offense.

"We're lucky in that Marc's an intelligent guy," Spagnuolo said. "I think it's going fairly smooth. We're just getting into the beginning of it. We're halfway right now in the offseason program so there's certainly a lot of work to do between now and when we leave here in June, but I think he's done a pretty good job."

New Rams offensive coordinator Pat Shurmer is the sixth different person (joining Mike Martz, Steve Fairchild, Scott Linehan, Greg Olson and Al Saunders) to hold that title during Bulger's nine seasons with the Rams.

Bulger said he's never gotten them mixed up or called them by the wrong name.

"No, that's one thing I haven't done," Bulger said. "But plays, yes."

Bulger said he isn't sure how much of Shurmer's playbook that he's already digested.

"It's still growing, so I'm still not sure how much is in," Bulger said. "But Coach Shurmer talked to the quarterbacks a little bit yesterday, and he said we have a good deal, which is comforting to know that it's within reach.

"Obviously, you have to learn all the nuances, but we can actually say the plays and not stutter anymore."

Bulger said he's not concerned about the Rams' receiving corps lack of experience.

The Rams have only one wide receiver (Chad Lucas, 27) older than 24, and second-year wide receiver Donnie Avery has the most career catches out of the entire group with 53.

"I think we're fine," Bulger said. "Like Coach (Spagnuolo) says, you always want more competition at every position. That makes us better. A lot of these kids, I don't know some of their names. I know their numbers right now.

"But we have some speed; we have some guys that can move. Obviously, the guys we had last year are doing a great job, but we have some sleepers in there I think that are going to surprise you guys."

Bulger, who has been sacked 124 times in 43 games over the last three seasons, applauded the Rams' choice of Baylor offensive tackle Jason Smith with the No 2 overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft.

"I was really excited," Bulger said. " I got to know him a little bit before the draft. Obviously, now that he's here, we're excited. He was working with the second unit (at right tackle), and I just picked him out on a couple plays, and he's tough, he's physical.

"It's just a matter of learning the speed of the offense in the NFL because you can't emulate that. But, I think he's NFL ready. He just needs these three or four months to get ready, but I think he'll help us this year."

Bulger also feels better about the Rams' offense after their other offseason acquisitions, including center Jason Brown, fullback Mike Karney and blocking tight end Billy Bajema.

" I know we've sat here before and been optimistic, so I'm optimistic again," Bulger said. "The culture around here has changed. It's great. But the bottom line is winning, and we can talk all we want in the spring during camp and during preseason about how good we're going to be and how all the changes are great, but until we start winning games, we have no room to talk."

tenplay is offline Registered User

Re: Marc Bulger catching on to West Coast offense

"Learning a new playbook with a different verbiage system can be harder for a veteran quarterback than a younger one.

The veteran quarterback has to mentally block out all of the other offensive systems that he's learned."

This has got to make you nervous. A 9 year vet with inexperienced FLs trying to learn a new system and playbook. Imagine all the potential breakdowns and missed assignments. I hope Bulger plays a lot in the preseason rather than giving the backup QBs a lot of time.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tenplay View Post
    "
    The veteran quarterback has to mentally block out all of the other offensive systems that he's learned."
    Let's just hope he doesn't get his play calls mixed up! I guess we can't expect perfection, but I'm confident in Bulger as long as our line does its part.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I trust Bulger. He's our captain and he knows what he's talking about. He'll be the first to admit that everything isn't perfect. But we've seen his work ethic, I'm sure he will have this playbook down in a couple weeks.

I'm excited for this season.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

tenplay is offline Registered User

How long does it take to learn a new system and playbook? I guess it depends on the smarts of the QB and how dedicated he is to making the change. It gets more difficult than that when you realize that the whole Offense needs to learn and implement the new system and playbook. When you think of all the spoiled and lazy players in the NFL, the task gets more difficult. I expect to see a lot of mistakes for at least the first half of the season and the new system kicking in fully in the 2010-11 season.