Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Marc Bulger has lost the touch as Rams quarterback

By Bernie Miklasz
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Monday, Dec. 01 2008
    Fighting hard all afternoon and poised to spring an upset, the Rams needed
    someone to step forward, make a play and steal Sunday from the Miami Dolphins.

Miami's precarious 16-12 lead was hanging within reach, an easy capture. The
    Rams required a singular act of brilliance. Someone who could convert hope into
    victory by offering a few seconds of Joe Montana, a two-minute tribute to John
    Unitas, a mad dash of Roger Staubach or a touch of John Elway's golden arm.

Just one magic moment.

The Rams were down by less than a touchdown throughout the entire second half.
    They had some things working in their favor. The running attack was boosted by
    the return of Steven Jackson, the pass protection was solid and the defense
    repeatedly made stops.

Now it was time for a winner to sign in and take over. The money quarterbacks
    live for these situations. Give them the ball and a chance and they'll take
    care of the rest. Their careers are defined by these late, daring, all-in bids
    at the final poker table.

And then there is Marc Bulger.

Who can't help what he is.

Bulger had the magic stomped out of him a long time ago.

Bulger has been drained of the possibility of summoning Montana, Staubach or
    Elway — if even for just one clutch throw.

If Bulger is Unitas, he's the sad Johnny U. we saw in the San Diego Chargers
    uniform, taking a whupping in the final phase of his career.

Bulger was back on the field Sunday, a week after having his brain scrambled by
    the Chicago Bears.

Put it this way: A boxing commission wouldn't have allowed the man to step into
    the ring.

So we don't have to remind you how things turned out, right?

Three second-half interceptions, and only 16 completions in 35 attempts overall
    for 149 skimpy yards.

A QB rating of 22.2 for the afternoon.

Bulger was unable to emerge from the fog and make a play when his team needed
    it most.

The outcome was as predictable as the tendencies picked up by appreciative
    Dolphins defenders. "A lot of the time their quarterback would stare down a
    guy, and it gave our guys a chance to get in the passing window and make a
    play," Miami cornerback Renaldo Hill said. "It seemed like when he had
    (receivers) locked in, you knew the ball was going there if you could just get
    a jump or take a gamble here and there. Because you know where the ball was
    going. He wasn't doing much looking off."

Other than getting a chance to play against the Mizzou secondary each Sunday, I
    don't know how Bulger can pull out of this two-season disaster anytime soon.
    His mechanics and confidence require a complete overhaul.

And even then Bulger's potential is limited. At best, Bulger needed a good team
    around him to succeed. He isn't capable of elevating a team.

Plenty of times over the past two seasons, Bulger hasn't had much of a shot to
    prevail. He's been a speed bag, set up to take a vicious beating.

That wasn't the case against the Dolphins. The Rams gave Bulger plenty of time
    to throw, and he was not sacked.

"Sometimes a guy's got to come up with plays," Rams coach Jim Haslett said.

Yes, it would help if offensive coordinator Al Saunders could regain his
    coherency in calling plays.

But Bulger isn't making anything happen, unless it's bad.

Since signing the huge contract before the 2007 season, Bulger has thrown 26
    interceptions and lost seven fumbles in 23 games. His QB rating over the
    stretch is 67.9, which ranks 43rd among NFL quarterbacks who have appeared in
    at least 10 games.

Since the start of the second half at New England on Oct. 26, Bulger has thrown
    nine interceptions (with three lost fumbles) and has a passer rating of 50.2.

If Bulger were a building, he'd be condemned.

Trent Green isn't the solution. He's older and more battered than Bulger. And
    don't start up with the Brock Berlin stuff; he's roster filler.

It's imperative for the Rams to admit their $65 million mistake on the Bulger
    contract.

The Rams must follow the example of the Atlanta Falcons (Matt Ryan) and
    Baltimore Ravens (Joe Flacco) by drafting and developing a young quarterback.

The worst thing the Rams could do is continue living in a bizarre fantasy
    world, believing that Bulger is their quarterback of the future. The expiration
    date has passed.

tnap61 is offline Registered User

Re: Marc Bulger has lost the touch as Rams quarterback

Your Post is right on the Money. Really..50% of the team needs to go. 2009/2010 will need to be our rebuilding years. it has to start with Bulger and Holt.

eldfan is offline Registered User

I can't disagree with Bernie Miklasz.
    :ramlogo:

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I remember reading about Marc Bulger practicing his butt off and studying Al Saunders playbook during the offseason. Spending countless hours trying to correct and improve his game. Marc wanted to rebound from from a very disappointing 2007 season.

I hate to admit it but if Marc truly did all he could during the offseason to improve and this is the result. Our team has a big problem at the QB position.

I'm expecting the...O-line stinks and no other QB could or would do any better. We have rookie receivers that are making alot of route and reading mistakes. Steven Jackson has been out alot, again.

Excuses good or bad are just that, excuses.

Take a look around the league. We are not the only team to have injury issues. We are not the only team with a less than average O-line. We're not the only team to have their starting RB go down.

We are the only team that is lacking the intensity that the fans deserve EVERY game. Marc Bulger is the leader of this team, right? Well the team has taken on is low key personality. As the article above says, where is the rallying around the QB and the leadership to make the big plays at crunch time? I hate to admit it but Marc Bulger is just not a good fit for our team.
    Where is Torry Holt in all this? Torry came into the league and learned how to play the game and be a pro from some of the best. (Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk, Isasac Bruce) Why won't he afford the same education to our new guys? Selfish if you ask me. Enough of his cry baby attitude. Is he a cancer?

Torry needs to hit the bricks and if Bulger can't perform better than we need to bring in our future QB and sit Bulger.

The truth hurts and it's very sad to me but the two guys that we expect to lead our team aren't making it happen. Their hearts just aren't into it.

For better or worse....GO RAMS!!!!

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Gee, thanks Bernie (aka Captain Obvious). We never would have noticed that Bulger played badly had you not told us.

Notice, though, that Bernie does not simply want to state the obvious. He wants to stir up the mob. He does this by throwing in a simple phrase:

Since signing the huge contract before the 2007 season
    What does that have to do with anything? Bernie, of course, wants fans (or, to be more precise, Bulger-haters) to adopt the belief that Marc has somehow phoned it in since he cashed in.

Nonsense.

I have seen nothing to indicate that Marc has not given his full effort. He has gone out to play when hurt, to his own detriment.

Has he played badly? Yes. But not due to a lack of effort. A lack of protection? Yes. A lack of consistent and healthy skill players? Yes. An erosion of his skills and confidence? Yes.

But a lack of effort? Not remotely.

Bernie is a button pusher. Nothing more.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

My first question is how good really is Al Saunders playbook? Are you telling me that Marc decided to throw that ball without question yesterday? If so why? He looks like at this point a robot if you will, and to me that means he is stuck completing the play as designed with no opportunity to alter. When is the last time you saw him call an audible? It seems to me the only audibles we have are called "time outs".

I agree with you AV, Bernie is merely looking to push buttons and also blame someone else for ownerships woes. I understand Chippy only took this team over when his mother passed on, but please understand that neither her or her chosen idiots could ever run this team right. And frankly I have no faith that Chippy will either. But that's ok. Blame Bulger for everything. If it works for some that's all right. Whatever it takes for them to feel that there is actually hope for the organization as it stands now. Oh and Holt too. Why would any player want to not support an offense like we have. How dare he ask to be taken of such a dysfunctional team. He should really risk his future for this great group of thinkers. What was I thinking that it could be anything else but bad players that have driven this team into the ground. Bad Bulger, bad! Go sit on the bench! You personally have been the driving force behind the fall of the GSOT!

Ok Trent, your turn!
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Where is Torry Holt in all this? Torry came into the league and learned how to play the game and be a pro from some of the best. (Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk, Isasac Bruce) Why won't he afford the same education to our new guys? Selfish if you ask me. Enough of his cry baby attitude. Is he a cancer?
    I hate to say it but I agree with this.

I agree with everything you said about Bulger too, but that's been discussed so much, so let's focus for a moment on Torry Holt.

As you say he learned from the best, played on some great teams, went to the Superbowl twice etc. etc. but now when the going gets tough and the team is really struggling he's nowhere to be found? All we've heard is some whining earlier in the season about not getting the ball enough and when he does get it he drops it at crucial times or takes it for 5 yards and goes down. Talks about switching teams too and it's clear that he is just not giving his all out there on the field. Mentally he's already playing for another team. Ask yourself would Isaac Bruce or Marshall Faulk ever let us down like this? No way. Those guys were leaders not followers.

I defended Torry Holt when he criticized Linehan as I agreed with him and felt it was the right thing to take it public too at that time, but in this situation now with a new coach and a team in disarray he just needs to go out there and start making some plays instead.

Marc Bulger is doing all he can, he just can't do very much these days, he's lost his touch because of all the beatings he's taken and we need to deal with it and find a new QB soon. But I've never accused Bulger of not trying out there. Torry on the other hand, as far as I know there's nothing serious wrong with him physically and he hasn't taken 1/10th of the abuse that Bulger has. Torry Holt is slacking off and giving up out there, that's what I see every week.

I'm losing a lot of respect for Torry Holt these days and I hate it. I feel like the way he's handling all this adversity is tainting his legacy as a fantastic receiver for our team. He will most likely move on to somewhere else next year and I NEVER thought I would say this but I'm ok with that. Isaac Bruce - now that was a loss for our team. Torry Holt going somewhere else? <shrugs>

BrokenWing is online now Registered User

Bernie is a Bulger Hater and I think that's been clear for a long time.

Bulger's playing like crap.

What honestly bothers me more though is at least some of the Bulger Haters seem rather happy to be able to run around and say "I told you so!".

Man, stop the hate. Say he sucks all you want, but stop going out of your way to say it every single game and after every single game. Is it time for him to move on? Yeah probably. But there's two ways to approach that:

1. Accept it and propose new ideas.

2. Run around acting like you're happy to be able to say "I told you so!"

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

There was a time when Bulger played well, as his protection diminished, his effectiveness has diminished as well. Same thing happened to Warner, and it took the latter a couple of years to overcome the battered QB syndrome. I have no idea if Marc can overcome this in the upcoming offseason, I'd guess not. So what can the Rams do? Since we have so many needs to address in free agency and the 09 draft, selecting a quarterback early seems unlikely. However, selecting one somewhere between round 4 and round 7 could possibly pay dividends, particulalry if we made a point of procuring an athletic qb who can make plays with his legs as well as his arm. We would be extremely lucky to find a Brady type late in the draft, but we should be able to find someone servicable. We are most likely stuck with Bulger for one more year. (depends on who's running the show next year). There is also the possibility that the O-line will be upgraded sufficiently as to allow Marc to rebound ...

As far as "hating on Bulger" goes, I don't believe anyone is hating him. Marc has taken a terrible beating the last couple of years and keeps going back for more. Sure he's gunshy now, but what qb wouldn't be playing behind the patchwork O-line the Rams have fielded the last couple of years?

Will Marc have any trade value if he is still upright at the end of the season? I wonder .. probably not .. If Maric has truly lost his "touch," what are some achievable solutions ?? Thoughts?

I think he'd have trade value because quarterbacks with a good reputation (which he still has) are often valued, reasonably or not. Teams will be looking for answers at the QB position and might be willing to take the chance. I'd look for him to be wanted by a team with a solid offensive line that is missing someone good at the QB position. The Titans come to mind.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    I think he'd have trade value because quarterbacks with a good reputation (which he still has) are often valued, reasonably or not. Teams will be looking for answers at the QB position and might be willing to take the chance. I'd look for him to be wanted by a team with a solid offensive line that is missing someone good at the QB position. The Titans come to mind.
    Or watch. We decide to release Holt and Bulger and both get signed by the Whiners.

Woo hoo.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

let's just say this.... I like Bulger a heck of a lot more than Bernie: but that ain't saying so much.

glad to see the team play with a bit more intensity. Considering what the Dolphins have done offensively against a lot of teams this year, Rams D did well and kept the team in the game. Plus, the offensive line wasn't doing too bad... having SJ back in the lineup must have helped light the fire a little bit. (when you're back can get the extra yard or two by leaning into incoming tackles... it puts the opposing D on their heels a bit and that can help immeasurably when it comes to pass protection packages)

so the team looked a lot better... and while Bulger looked decent in the 1st quarter, after that he just faded. Seemed like he was back to a lackluster energy level. He finally got some protection, but he didn't come through. Looks like he'll need some time to shake the rattled nerves. Everett was too old to do it when he got rattled. Warner was thought to be too old to do it, much less learn to re-use the injured ligament in his opposable thumb, but hit a jackpot (again) with Leinart being a puss.

it's disappointing, but i think it just needs time. do the Rams take a serious look at qb in the later rounds? absolutely. and not just cuz of bulger, but because of green and berlin! There's a reason why Bulger, quivering in fear as he is, is still starting. There's no one else! Titans had a "someone else" so they're using him. Rams? nada.

its sad. its disheartening. frustrating. but may i provide a bright side?

here's my bright side: Rams look to have finally gotten a draft right. This year's class is looking bright. And, a few of last year's pickups are looking good too. Clifton Ryan was a huge pickup in his round... he won't be a Kris Jenkins type of player... but he's very solid and makes damione lewis and jimmy kennedy look stupid. Also, we finally saw Greco and there didn't seem to be a diminish in line play.

I think if the Rams can get another good draft together with a focus on Offense and the secondary, keep some essential playmakers around (aka SJ) and keep them healthy and happy... the team will start looking and playing a lot differently. Hard part is though, that will take time.

I lived through the late 80's and all of the 90's as a Rams fan. I think I can handle a couple more years of building. That is... if the team builds right. If not, it'll be a long decade.

and so endeth my novella...

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by KoaKoi View Post
    I think if the Rams can get another good draft together with a focus on Offense and the secondary, keep some essential playmakers around (aka SJ) and keep them healthy and happy... the team will start looking and playing a lot differently. Hard part is though, that will take time.
    Let's not forget about Justin King who was doing very well early on prior to his injury. He'll be back healthy next season and should help upgrade the secondary. Another solid draft in 09 will go a long way toward reviving this franchaise ..

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

It's happening all over again. Remember when Warner got banged up after through the martz years and kept throwing picks and losing fumbles, he looked terrible and never recovered, thank god we can still remember the days when he was throwing for 300 yards every week and winning games, so long ago.

Bernie is right, Bulger is done, let's draft a good Matt Leinart type QB, who could lead this team back to victory.

Why on earth would we want a Matt Leinart type?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast