Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    laram0's Avatar
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    57
    Posts
    9,155
    Rep Power
    107

    Marc Bulger...Leadership and emotions

    I watched the Bears @ Patriots game yesterday. A very hard fought hard hitting game.

    1 play stands out in my mind.

    Here's the situation:

    Scored is tied 10-10, 4th quarter, 11:34 left in the game, Patriots have the ball 3rd and 9 at the Bears 25 yard line. Tom Brady drops back to pass, feels pressure and all receivers are covered. So he takes off (not the fastest runner you'll ever see) The only Bear between him and the first down marker is the tackling machine Brian Urlacher. Brady jukes Urlacher and gets the 1st down with an 11 yard scramble. Here's what impressed me the most. After Brady jumped up after being tackled he gave a very emotional 1st down stride with his arm pointing out the 1st down, then proceeded to head but one of his receivers!!!!! I have to say that fired up the entire New England Patriots team, even the guys on the sidelines.

    This type of leadership and emotion is what I would love see from Marc Bulger.

    I know it's not his style but boy just imagine the postive effects it would have
    on our Rams.

    :r


  2. #2
    RamFan_Til_I_Die's Avatar
    RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,137
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: Marc Bulger...Leadership and emotions

    I was thinking the same thing as I watched that. It'll never happen though.

  3. #3
    ramsbruce's Avatar
    ramsbruce is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Here
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,406
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: Marc Bulger...Leadership and emotions

    You said it yourself, "it's not his style" and he most likely won't change. I like him the way he is and I think anyone on the team who saw Bulger yesterday plead with Linehan to get back into the game 1 play after he got crushed knows he's a leader and that he wants to win more than anything. I know it fired me up when I saw him trying to get back into the game.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE


  4. #4
    rammiser's Avatar
    rammiser is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,999
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: Marc Bulger...Leadership and emotions

    I disagree, there have been so many qb's that were great and quiet leaders. Why does Bulger need to change? His play speaks for itself behind a patchwork o-line and a new system. Jackson is our emotional leader and he pumps the team up. I can't stand brady so when he did what he did I cursed the t.v. Bulger is a quiet leader and has always been that way.
    Just Fix It

  5. #5
    laram0's Avatar
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    57
    Posts
    9,155
    Rep Power
    107

    Re: Marc Bulger...Leadership and emotions

    Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    I disagree, there have been so many qb's that were great and quiet leaders. Why does Bulger need to change? His play speaks for itself behind a patchwork o-line and a new system. Jackson is our emotional leader and he pumps the team up. I can't stand brady so when he did what he did I cursed the t.v. Bulger is a quiet leader and has always been that way.
    This isn't a comparison of Brady and Bulger. It just so happened that Brady was the example. Could have been any QB in the league.

  6. #6
    ramsbruce's Avatar
    ramsbruce is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Here
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,406
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: Marc Bulger...Leadership and emotions

    Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    This isn't a comparison of Brady and Bulger. It just so happened that Brady was the example. Could have been any QB in the league.
    Even so, why does Bulger have to change? Why do people constantly question his leadership just because he's quiet and not emotional?

    Here's a thought, the team knows Bulger's demeanor, and they know he is quiet and not very emotional. They also know that he doesn't have to be those things to lead them, like I said earlier just watching Bulger try and get back in the game says it all. So just because fans don't see him jump around and yell after a big play doesn't mean the team doesn't think he's a leader.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE


  7. #7
    laram0's Avatar
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    57
    Posts
    9,155
    Rep Power
    107

    Re: Marc Bulger...Leadership and emotions

    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    Even so, why does Bulger have to change? Why do people constantly question his leadership just because he's quiet and not emotional?

    Here's a thought, the team knows Bulger's demeanor, and they know he is quiet and not very emotional. They also know that he doesn't have to be those things to lead them, like I said earlier just watching Bulger try and get back in the game says it all. So just because fans don't see him jump around and yell after a big play doesn't mean the team doesn't think he's a leader.
    It certainly wouldn't hurt.........

  8. #8
    ramsbruce's Avatar
    ramsbruce is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Here
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,406
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: Marc Bulger...Leadership and emotions

    Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    It certainly wouldn't hurt.........
    Since the team already knows how he is, I don't see it being an issue at all. It's not like he used to be that way and now he isn't and it's affecting the team. He is what he is, the team knows he's a leader and leads in his own way.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE


  9. #9
    laram0's Avatar
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    57
    Posts
    9,155
    Rep Power
    107

    Re: Marc Bulger...Leadership and emotions

    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    Since the team already knows how he is, I don't see it being an issue at all. It's not like he used to be that way and now he isn't and it's affecting the team. He is what he is, the team knows he's a leader and leads in his own way.
    I never inferred this was an issue.

    You mean to tell me that if a guy with Bulger's cool demeanor did something like that during a hard fought game vs the opposition, it wouldn't fire up the team? I'm not asking for it every game.

    No one does it all the time.... as a matter of fact it's usually a rb or wr that does it. This was the perfect time during the Pats game for the QB Brady to show that uncontrollable emotion.

  10. #10
    ramsbruce's Avatar
    ramsbruce is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Here
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,406
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: Marc Bulger...Leadership and emotions

    Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I never inferred this was an issue.

    You mean to tell me that if a guy with Bulger's cool demeanor did something like that during a hard fought game vs the opposition, it wouldn't fire up the team? I'm not asking for it every game.

    No one does it all the time.... as a matter of fact it's usually a rb or wr that does it. This was the perfect time during the Pats game for the QB Brady to show that uncontrollable emotion.
    In general I have seen many people question his leadership just because he's quiet and not emotional. Those aren't valid reasons to question his leadership.

    It may or may not fire up the team, but to continue to ask for it, or question his leadership based on what people perceive him as on TV or at the game is just not valid. When his teammates come out and say something, or his coaches or even ex-Rams say something then maybe I will entertain the thought, but again seeing him want to get back into the game 1 play after getting killed speaks louder than any QB yelling and jumping around (like Brady as you used in your example).
    BRUUUUUUUUCE


  11. #11
    laram0's Avatar
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    57
    Posts
    9,155
    Rep Power
    107

    Re: Marc Bulger...Leadership and emotions

    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    In general I have seen many people question his leadership just because he's quiet and not emotional. Those aren't valid reasons to question his leadership.

    It may or may not fire up the team, but to continue to ask for it, or question his leadership based on what people perceive him as on TV or at the game is just not valid. When his teammates come out and say something, or his coaches or even ex-Rams say something then maybe I will entertain the thought, but again seeing him want to get back into the game 1 play after getting killed speaks louder than any QB yelling and jumping around (like Brady as you used in your example).
    May be I shouldn't have used Leadership in the title of this thread and went with Emotion only? However because one of the Leaders in this case did it the end result was more effective than usual.

  12. #12
    ramsbruce's Avatar
    ramsbruce is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Here
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,406
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: Marc Bulger...Leadership and emotions

    Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    May be I shouldn't have used Leadership in the title of this thread and went with Emotion only? However because one of the Leaders in this case did it the end result was more effective than usual.
    In my mind his leadership isn't in question so maybe you could have left it out, but even so, if you just go with emotion, you are still asking for something that isn't him, and the team seems to be fine with that, so why can't the fans be?
    BRUUUUUUUUCE


  13. #13
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,243
    Rep Power
    127

    Re: Marc Bulger...Leadership and emotions

    This is something that bothers a lot of Ram fans I have spoken to, but as ramsbruce pointed out, it's just not his style to get overly excited. Bulger will sometimes pump his fist after a big play or throw the ball after getting sacked, but he, like his contemporary LT or guys like Jim Brown and Johnny Unitas before him, leads, motivates and channels his emotions into cool, calm, calculated effort on the field. I think they call it leading by example, like getting sacked, then going 9-9 for 76 yards and throwing the winning touchdown pass. If that doesn't motivate a team, nothing will.

  14. #14
    bigredman's Avatar
    bigredman is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    El Paso, Texas
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,815
    Rep Power
    61

    Re: Marc Bulger...Leadership and emotions

    Lord knows that I've banged this drum. I agree, Bulger is who he is. I don't suggest he change, and I don't question his ability to lead that offense. However, I would like to see a more emotional and dynamic QB on the Rams. Bulger bores me. While he instills calm in the huddle, which can be good during certain situations, it is also good that a QB be demonstrative as well. Brady is that kind of QB. Calm when appropriate, fired up and head butting in others. That's why the man is one of the best, and Bulger...well...he simply won't be remembered. That's why I suggest we go get us a QB of the future next year. While Bulger is young, he will not take us to the Super Bowl in my opinion. Keep Bulger one more year until the new guy learns the system, then see what we can get in trade at the end of next year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  15. #15
    rammiser's Avatar
    rammiser is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,999
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: Marc Bulger...Leadership and emotions

    Was Kurt Warner a emotional leader? I don't remember him head butting anyone. I dont remember him chest bumping or going crazy on the field. Bulger just can't win with some fans. I dont understand what the big deal is. There have been tons of qb's that led teams with their play rather than their emotions. Why does Bulger have to be a qb with emotions? What is the reason, are loud and boistrous and emotional qb's better than quiet ones? If so who and why. Who was better a quiet Joe Montana or an emotional Steve Young. Who was better a quiet Troy Aikman or a emotional Joe Namath? I mean you can be a leader and be quiet. Are you guys in the huddle, how do you know what he says in the huddle. I was watching a show about Joe Montana and one of his lineman was talking about what kind of a leader Joe was. He said Joe was a cool calm and collected guy. For example he said in the Superbowl vs the Bengals when they were losing and on their last drive. Before the first play Montana said hey look up in the Stands there's John Candy. He said that just seemed to get everyone loose and they drove the length of the field and scored a td. Not everyone wears their emotions on their sleeve and Bulger is fine just the way he is. We dont need a different qb just because he's quiet.
    Just Fix It

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •