VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Marc Bulger - a perspective.

Let's compare Bulger's stats from 2002-2005, to this year so far. I'm not a big stat guy, but I thought it was interesting as it (sort of) compares Martz to Linehan. All numbers are averages per game, (44 previous vs. 6 this year).

Red = bad, Blue = good.

Statistic: 2002-2005 Ave: 2006 Ave: Difference:
    Completion %: 65.2 61.5 -3.7%
    Yards/game: 271 269 -2
    Yards/attempt: 7.98 7.78 -0.2
    Long (each year): 58, 48, 56, 57 67 9
    Touchdowns: 1.61 1.66 .05
    Interceptions: 1.16 0.16 -1.0
    Sacked/yards lost: 2.63/7.58 3.16/7.21 +53/-.47
    Passes of 20+ yards: 3.77 4.16 +.29
    Passes of + 40 yards: .45 .83 +.38
    QB Rating: 92.7 99.8 +7.1%

What can we take from this? At first glance, not much, as it's pretty much even for the most part, except Sacks, INT's and Rating.

I'm personally encouraged however, as I do not see a significant drop-off from in production from Martz, who I always liked. Point is, Bulger had to learn a new system, and after a slow start, has caught up to his previous production numbers, increases his rating, and cut WAY down on interceptions.

It's official! I'm a Bulgerian. Guess he IS just a system QB afterall.

Admit it - that last line was good.

Guys, outside of '99 (obviously), and maybe 2000-2001, this is going to be the most fun year for Ram football since the 80's.
    Last edited by VegasRam; -10-16-2006 at 04:33 PM.

"the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Country is offline Registered User

Re: Marc Bulger - a perspective.

I like Bulger except the odd durability concern. I think the Rams should be looking for a young guy to put in the wings and train for a couple of years. It always seems that a QB with a bad shoulder has a couple of years.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Country View Post
    I like Bulger except the odd durability concern. I think the Rams should be looking for a young guy to put in the wings and train for a couple of years. It always seems that a QB with a bad shoulder has a couple of years.
    Could that be Fitzpatrick from Hahvad ?

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Country View Post
    If Bulger has a bad shoulder, it works for me because all the guy is doing is playing the best football of his life.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    If Bulger has a bad shoulder, it works for me because all the guy is doing is playing the best football of his life.
    Exactly, and he's doing so despite getting sacked as much as JP Losman, Daunte Culpepper, and Jon Kitna. Man, imagine what Marc could do if he had the kind of protection afforded to Peyton Manning.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Exactly, and he's doing so despite getting sacked as much as JP Losman, Daunte Culpepper, and Jon Kitna. Man, imagine what Marc could do if he had the kind of protection afforded to Peyton Manning.
    I'm not so sure Peyton Manning gets much more protection than alot of the other QB's in the NFL. (San Diego, Pittsburgh 2005) Peyton thinks and sees the field alot quicker than his counterparts. Confusing a guy of Peytons caliber with different looks from the "D" seems to be the best defense.

:r

general counsel is offline Registered User

i think manning gets a LOT better protection than just about any other qb. He gets sacked less, even though he holds onto the ball longer. It makes sense that confusing him is important, but if you dont get a guy in his face, he is 100% lethal. Where he has problems, as they all do, is when you can shut down his running game and prevent him from stepping up in the pocket, making sure that you disrupt his timing.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel