Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Marc Bulger retires

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Marc Bulger retires

Marc Bulger retires

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 3, 2011, 8:03 AM EDT

Marc Bulger, the longtime NFL quarterback who was expected to attract some interest in free agency this year, has instead opted to retire.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Bulger had opportunities but decided he wanted to retire from football and focus more on his charitable foundation, which works with members of the military.

Bulger entered the NFL as a sixth-round draft pick of the Saints in 2000 and had his best years in St. Louis as the successor to Kurt Warner as the quarterback for the “Greatest Show on Turf.”

Good luck for the future Marc and thank you for your effort during your time in horns.
    Last edited by Ramblin` Ram; -08-03-2011 at 08:20 AM.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Marc Bulger retires

I am grateful for the things Marc Bulger has done for this organization! Through the good and bad Bulger always played and never complained.
    Jonze likes this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

WOW! This shocks me....Not sure why but it does.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Kurt seems to be right in that he'd happily entered the clipboard phase of his career, but who knew that the clipboard phase would transition so quickly to the armchair phase?

I'm really surprised by this because Bulger is almost certainly still a top 40 QB in this league, and I'd say that a lot of teams would benefit from his presence behind a young starter... unless his mentoring is telling the kid to chuck it and hide, a side effect of the PTSD he suffered behind our horrible line of 2007-2009.
    I believe!

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Thanks for the the good time Marc, and thanks for sticking it out through the bad. Enjoy retirement.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Good for him. One of the more underappreciated Rams in recent history. Maybe he should call up Jim Everett and have a few beers while musing about the fans.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

I was hoping he'd get another chance to play elsewhere but if he retires I wish him nothing but the best. In his best years he was one of the best QBs in the league, I'll always remember that comeback in Seattle.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

If you can, check out Anthony Bechts twitter account. He has been posting a few things about how the Rams regime treated Bulger. Seems a little biased due to them being friends, but at the same time it's interesting to hear the thoughts of a guy that played with him.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    I'll always remember that comeback in Seattle.
    Me too...it was the only one he ever led. I will always appreciate the way he took over the helm of one of the greatest offenses in NFL history...and took it absolutely NOWHERE. There are legitimate reasons why NOBODY wanted this guy to step in and run their offense after his 'stellar' career with the Rams.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Ram Fan View Post
    Me too...it was the only one he ever led. I will always appreciate the way he took over the helm of one of the greatest offenses in NFL history...and took it absolutely NOWHERE. There are legitimate reasons why NOBODY wanted this guy to step in and run their offense after his 'stellar' career with the Rams.
    Yeah, he was awful in 2003, when he made the Pro Bowl, lead the Rams to the playoffs, and lost to eventual Conference Champion when Mike Martz lost his nerve and Jason Sehorn put on a clinic on how not to cover the middle of the field.

Kurt Warner is over what happened in St. Louis. Maybe you should be too.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Me too...it was the only one he ever led.
    Don't let your disdain for Bulger get in the way of the facts. He had 10 comeback victories as a Ram, including the 2005 playoff victory over that same Seattle team.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Marc Bulger will go down as one of my favorite Rams players for a number of reasons.

One, we're both West Virginia alums. Two, he took over during what would have otherwise been a very rough transition period for this team and instead helped achieve some success in the post-GSOT days.

Three, I loved the way he played the game. Cerebral, quick release, accurate, cool and collected. Bulger took quite a bit of heat over the years from a portion of the fan base for not being a "get in your face" rah-rah guy, because some believed that was the only way to show leadership. I actually loved that Bulger was a consistent presence, good or bad. He just went out there and led by example.

Like any good quarterback, you give him protection and weapons to utilize, and he'd get it done. It's a shame that he ended his Rams career without much of either of those two things. I appreciate everything he did for this organization, wish him the best in his retirement, and hope to spot him around Morgantown sometime in the future!
    Curly Horns and RockinRam like this.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

A little off topic but does anyone know if there is a place that still sells Bulger jerseys? I couldnt find one, I think that will be my next jersey.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

The guy had a nice 3-4 year run and ONE great season. 10 comeback wins?? That is nothing but twisted stat delusion. I watched virtually every Bulger era game. I recall the Seattle win (as being a true game winning/saving comeback) and no other. I wonder what the qualifications for your "comeback" stats are. The team was trailing at the start of the second half, or the 4th quarter? I know those 10 are NOT comebacks with 2mins to go...or with possession of the ball on the final drive. Under those situations, he FAILED...often.

Again, if he was so legendary...and such a king of the comebacks...I wonder why NO TEAM wanted him to be their leader? The man appeared in a grand total of ZERO games in his post Ram 'career'. As usual, the folks here know MORE than the people who run NFL teams for a living.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Again, if he was so legendary...and such a king of the comebacks...I wonder why NO TEAM wanted him to be their leader? The man appeared in a grand total of ZERO games in his post Ram 'career'. As usual, the folks here know MORE than the people who run NFL teams for a living.
    Anthony Becht tells a different story on Twitter...

Opportunities weren't the reason #Bulger retired.That's a fact.Know 4 sure that 6 #NFL teams wanted his services this year. #Walkintosunset
    1 hour ago

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast