Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Re: Marc Bulger takes criticism for slide in stride

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Wow, I disagree with this completely. I don't know what Manning's motivation was in slidding, but Bulger said he thought he had the first down, so he slid. Calling him a coward in this situation is way over the top.
    Mike, Mike, Mike. Maybe I should have been more clear when I wrote that. But I assumed you remembered my several other posts about the slide (some of which you replied to). We agree 100% that he thought he had it, we agree 100% that he doesn't deserve criticism for sliding, we agree 100% that he is NOT a coward.

I'll say it in more general terms this time using no names to hopefully make the point more clear: I was saying it would be reasonable to call out player A for sliding in one type of circumstances and not call out player B for sliding in completely different circumstances. I was trying to explain that the two situations were far from the same and that it was reasonable to support one thing in situation A and another in situation B without being hypocritical. This was in response to your post which insinuated that the media was unfairly targeting Bulger and not Manning for the same thing. My point being it was not the same situation.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    In regards to my comment alluding to the media, I was making a tongue-in-cheek jab at the rediculous outrage over Bulger's slide that resulted in articles, like the one that started this thread, being written.
    Yes. I just don't see why it's so strange or unfair that the media examines plays like that more closely when the QB has thrown more interceptions than TDs for 3 seasons and had a QB rating of 71 and lower for the same time period. Anybody would get laughed out of town if they started talking about a slide and questioning whether Manning is doing everything to win when you look at the amazing success he has had, and rightly so. I don't criticize Bulger for the slide itself - but I am also not going to be outraged at the media for bringing it up considering the team's situation. Summing it up my point of this post and the 2 previous ones is simply: I think the media is treating this in a fair way all things considered and I'm not seeing all the unfair persecution of Bulger because of the slide that you do.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Fans and the media do realize that Bulger couldn't see that bright yellow line you see on TV, right?

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
    Mike, Mike, Mike. Maybe I should have been more clear when I wrote that. But I assumed you remembered my several other posts about the slide (some of which you replied to). We agree 100% that he thought he had it, we agree 100% that he doesn't deserve criticism for sliding, we agree 100% that he is NOT a coward.
    So I think it would be perfectly reasonable to say that Manning made the right call by hitting the deck but that Bulger is a coward for making the same decision in the same situation.
    Okay, maybe I didn't get what you were saying, but in looking at your quote, it seems you were saying it's reasonable to call Bulger a coward for sliding because the context is different. Regardless, I would assume we both agree that Bulger is not a coward, nor should he be called one, regardless of the circumstances.

Summing it up my point of this post and the 2 previous ones is simply: I think the media is treating this in a fair way all things considered and I'm not seeing all the unfair persecution of Bulger because of the slide that you do.
    I don't blame the media for anything here. I blame the fans who fueled the outrage over a very ordinary, benign play. The media is just doing their job and reporting on it because there IS so much venom being spewed Bulger's way for that very ordinary, benign play. I've read a few things from writers stating that way too much was being made about one yard, in the 3rd quarter, on a non-critical play.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Fans and the media do realize that Bulger couldn't see that bright yellow line you see on TV, right?
    I hope at the Owners meeeting they go ahead and vote to have the lines put on the ground. Also , Bulger needs to know where the 1st down is . Not assume. Making an ASS out of U and ME. Maybe he needs to revert back to his H.S. days .We always new where the 1st down was then!!!!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69 View Post
    I hope at the Owners meeeting they go ahead and vote to have the lines put on the ground. Also , Bulger needs to know where the 1st down is . Not assume. Making an ASS out of U and ME. Maybe he needs to revert back to his H.S. days .We always new where the 1st down was then!!!!
    Man, I hope you were being sarcastic there (if not, you do realize that the first down line constantly changes during the course of a game and could not be "put on the ground" - well, maybe with some sore of laser device, but I think that would be cost prohibitive and might cause players to catch fire).

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Man, I hope you were being sarcastic there (if not, you do realize that the first down line constantly changes during the course of a game and could not be "put on the ground" - well, maybe with some sore of laser device, but I think that would be cost prohibitive and might cause players to catch fire).
    With the unemployment rate as high as it is, maybe the NFL could hire a couple of people to run down the field with some yellow tape after every first down. ;-)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

theodus69 is offline Registered User

sarcasm? ME? Come on, that would be a great idea!!!!!!! Focus on the chains. they are there for a reason on both sides of the field. With all the miked helmets the QB's have , maybe they should tell him " Mark, it's the 43 yardline for a first,Don't slide to early numbskull".LOL
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

I literally laughed out loud, (and still am).

Very funny, AV!
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Yodude is offline Registered User

Marc Bulger takes criticism for slide in stride
    I think if I were making close to $7 million a year there wouldn't be a whole lot of criticism that could ruffle my feathers either.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

rammiser is offline Registered User

Afterall what we need right now is Kyle Boller under center again. Bulger is injury prone,concussion prone and is not that far removed from a shoulder injury. So in a game that we won these a-hole writers had to write an article about him sliding too soon? PATHETIC, lets not worry about Mcmichael dropping a td pass in the endzone two plays before Bulgers int. A td that would have made the score 17-2. Let's not forget the other wr's constantly dropping passes. From memory this year I can think of 3 passes Mcmichael has dropped in the endzone. Avery fumbling on the five on a possible go ahead td in the skins game. Fells fumbling inside the five on a positive drive that should have resulted in a touchdown. All the problem on this team and Bulgers slide during a win is drawing criticism? Ask Jon Gruden what he thinks about a qb that doesnt have help around him. I heard him say this morning that a qb cannot succeed without the help of players that surround him. Apparantly though Bulger doesnt fit into this category. Our only win and still negative columns, nice.
    Just Fix It

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123