Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Mark my words ...

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I have only heard good things about Burton this season. I am really saddened because I'm pretty sure we wont take him and someone else will find our diamond in the rough. I mean he is a good player with a heck of potential, just we cant afford too keep him. Poor young man will be playing elsewhere next season unless he is on the PS.
    But that's a good thing, isn't it?

I mean if he's that good, and still isn't one of the 6 best WRs, then the Rams WR corp must be REALLY good!

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SJacks039 View Post
    This is the first good thing i've heard about burton in training camp. Everyone else(like actual journalists) say he doesn't look very good and dropping passes. I would be kind of surprised to see him on our above 5 on our depth chart and he might not even make it.
    Really? Please show me a link or quote indicating such.

I have direct contacts watching camp practices that say Burton has been the most consistent and hardest working of the WR's ....

I will never understand the big boner for Foster considering he's never stepped on the field and was a 5th round pick ...

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Honestly I'd be verry surprised to see a ton of Burton and I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't make the team. Avery and Robinson are the starters on the outside. Amendola and Gillyard will man the slot. I would put him behind Gibson. They both played 8 games lat year, but Gibson had much less time with the team and he was a rookie, but he still had 100 more yards 9 more catches and 1 touchdown to burtons zero. I don't see a ton of explosiveness or playmaking ability like I see in some other receivers on the team. I would take the upside and ability of Foster and McRae over Burton, but that's just my opinion. We have 10 recievers and its not out of the question for any of those 10 guys to start, but we will only keep 6. The way i see it going down in alphabetical order Amendola, Avery, Foster, Gibson, Gillyard, and Robinson.
    You act as if Burton is a six year veteran and was upstaged by a rook in Gibson. It's only year 3 for him ....

They were both rookies in essence, brand new WCO. Gibson had as much time with this system as Burton did, he learned it in Philly ...

FYI, Gibson had 69 passes thrown his way last year, caught 34, and dropped 2 ...

Burton had 44 passes thrown his was last year, caught 25, and dropped zero ...

You see upside in Foster and McRae over Burton? Interesting since never has stepped on an NFL football field in a game, and one with a 5th round pick and the other undrafted. I want to hear a real argument, not just that they have more "upside". Neither Foster or McRae is explosive in nature either ...

I don't get the anti-Burton attitude, considering before he went down to injury, he was becoming the most consistent of all the wideouts ...

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    You act as if Burton is a six year veteran and was upstaged by a rook in Gibson. It's only year 3 for him ....

They were both rookies in essence, brand new WCO. Gibson had as much time with this system as Burton did, he learned it in Philly ...

FYI, Gibson had 69 passes thrown his way last year, caught 34, and dropped 2 ...

Burton had 44 passes thrown his was last year, caught 25, and dropped zero ...

You see upside in Foster and McRae over Burton? Interesting since never has stepped on an NFL football field in a game, and one with a 5th round pick and the other undrafted. I want to hear a real argument, not just that they have more "upside". Neither Foster or McRae is explosive in nature either ...

I don't get the anti-Burton attitude, considering before he went down to injury, he was becoming the most consistent of all the wideouts ...
    Draft position or undrafted free agent are irrelevant. Maybe Wes Welker should have been cut because he was an undrafted free agent, or Tom Brady should have never started because he was a 6th rounder. If Burton really is the best, he will be on the team. If he isn't, he won't, regardless of whether his competition didn't get drafted or was in the 5th round.

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    Draft position or undrafted free agent are irrelevant. Maybe Wes Welker should have been cut because he was an undrafted free agent, or Tom Brady should have never started because he was a 6th rounder. If Burton really is the best, he will be on the team. If he isn't, he won't, regardless of whether his competition didn't get drafted or was in the 5th round.
    You are missing the point ...

berg8309 is offline Registered User

You are missing the point ...
    How so? You keep asking how can you see more potential in a 5th rounder and an undrafted free agent. I was merely pointing out that those two things are irrelevant, but you cite to them like they make a difference on more than one occassion.

I didn't argue with your other points, I just pointed out that saying a person was a 5th rounder or undrafted is a useless argument. The player the rams feel can give them the most now and has the highest potential will make the team, and whether they were drafted earlier or not won't make a difference.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Really? Please show me a link or quote indicating such.

I have direct contacts watching camp practices that say Burton has been the most consistent and hardest working of the WR's ....

I will never understand the big boner for Foster considering he's never stepped on the field and was a 5th round pick ...
    That doesn't exactly make me feel good about the rest of the receiver corps. In fact, the phrase "Tallest Dwarf" seems to be an appropriate description of Burton's performance.

(Woohoo! $50 million on an unproven QB, and he has no one to throw to.)

Avery and Burton is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    That doesn't exactly make me feel good about the rest of the receiver corps. In fact, the phrase "Tallest Dwarf" seems to be an appropriate description of Burton's performance.

(Woohoo! $50 million on an unproven QB, and he has no one to throw to.)
    I think he misphrased that, although that doesn't take away from the fact that Burton has been performing extremely well and over the top of his expectations. He's been catching everything thrown his way, and had an awesome day today in camp even including a spectacular one hand grab over the middle making the play of the day as he has done in most of these camps this year.

The others receivers such as Robinson, and Amendola have also been playing very well, but still as for Burton he's always been an extremely hard worker in camp, and his hard work is beginning to pay off quite well. He just hasn't always got the attention in the past like he has now.

Don't worry about our WRs, we'll be fine as long as the injuries stop.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12