Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Marmie is the problem

I re-watched and re-watched Sundays games and one thing really sticks in my head. MARMIE IS THE PROBLEM!

His schemes are always called wrong. If there is a run to the left side they are slanting the right. And what is this crap with dropping d-lineman into coverage?? This happened on almost every third down. You drop your best pass rusher into coverage on 3rd and 11??

I tell you, I could go on and on about some of the defensive holes...but...it just pains me too much.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Re: Marmie is the problem

I was at the game, so I didn't really get to analyze why some of the big plays happened. (Forgot to TIVO the game also!)

I would like to know why, on the 2 big run plays, there was no help behind the D'line? Were there 4 receivers in or something that the outside linebackers were out in coverage? It seemed on both plays, if the runner got through the D Line, he was off to the races? How is there no LB back there?

Also, I am assuming that if Arch played Free Safety in that game that he is a lot to blame in terms of receivers being wide open. Really didn't like the comment from LT about seeing #31 and liking his chances. I know it's his first game back from injury, but right now I'm not big on AA. He'll need to show alot in the next couple games that he still belongs out there. He's starting to remind me of Rich Coady. (this is going back to last year when he seemed to be out of position alot.)

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    And what is this crap with dropping d-lineman into coverage??
    While it shouldn't be happening on every third down, dropping defensive lineman into coverage and blitzing linebackers or DBs is a nice way to confuse the offense and keep them guessing at what you're doing. If on third down the Rams consistently brought pressure from the same players, that would get pretty easy to figure out and scheme against. Mixing up your coverages and the personnel responsible for them keeps the offense, specifically the line and any TEs or RBs used in protection, on their toes.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

I could be wrong, but the last thing I would want to happen is dropping Jimmy Kennedy into coverage against a running back.

Also, on two different occasions on third and long they dropped a lineman and rushed 3. Not smart in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    While it shouldn't be happening on every third down, dropping defensive lineman into coverage and blitzing linebackers or DBs is a nice way to confuse the offense and keep them guessing at what you're doing. If on third down the Rams consistently brought pressure from the same players, that would get pretty easy to figure out and scheme against. Mixing up your coverages and the personnel responsible for them keeps the offense, specifically the line and any TEs or RBs used in protection, on their toes.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Please, relax everyone. Please?

It's preseason. No blitz packages. No schemes against the other teams offense. It was vanilla all the way yesterday. No one on the defense got hurt.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I could be wrong, but the last thing I would want to happen is dropping Jimmy Kennedy into coverage against a running back.
    Well, chances are he's not playing him in man coverage, so he's not going to have to run side by side with the guy down the field. Typically, as far as I know, when you drop D-lineman into coverage, it's in zone.

Also, on two different occasions on third and long they dropped a lineman and rushed 3. Not smart in my book.
    Well, obviously they wanted to cover as much of the field as possible to try and prevent a passing conversion. Sometimes you win those battles, sometimes you lose them. It's just like at one point in the game, Savard and Snow pointed out that the Rams pressured SD with all but three DBs, who were in coverage. That's pretty risky, but on that specific play, I believe it worked out as Groce swatted down the pass.

What all this shows me is that Marmie is at least looking at the possibility of trying different things with our defense - different pressure packages and what not. I don't see how that should be upsetting, considering how criticized he was last year for the lack of blitzing and pressure.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Better to try this stuff out now and find out what works and what doesn't, especially with all the new starters.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I agree with RamWraith, the “D” line scheme 3 guys on one side of the line and one guy on the other, a quick cut back and there is a Hugh HOLE. I have never seen the set before MARMIE, and I’m not talking by the Rams, in the NFL can’t recall this bunch 3 to the left and get run over on the cut back or misdirect running plays. Just line them up with balance fill the gaps.

As far as pressure, we just did not get it don’t with the front four and I don’t think we can. We are going to have to take chances with blitzes and not drop LB into coverage on every play.

If we try to help out our DB’s with LB in coverage it will be ugly, just like what we saw in SD.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Please, relax everyone. Please?

It's preseason. No blitz packages. No schemes against the other teams offense. It was vanilla all the way yesterday. No one on the defense got hurt.
    Still, you would like to see the guys play with some heart and a bit of pride. I remember from my playing days that you play just like you practice. Practice hard, play hard.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Although I am not ready to bash Marmie I am looking at him a little crazy . I have never before seen a NFL team play in a game as big as last years Atlanta game and go as many times as they did without even touching the person trying to run the ball. It wasnt just Vick it was Dunn and I think their equipment manager even ran one in LOL. I am starting to question. I know its preseason and we are not showing everything but lets show something.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Marmie is horrible.
    RamsFan16

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

I Agree With Alpharam About Practice. As Vince Lombardi Said "practice Does Not Make Perfect -perfect Practice Makes Perfect.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan
    I Agree With Alpharam About Practice. As Vince Lombardi Said "practice Does Not Make Perfect -perfect Practice Makes Perfect.
    And of all. WE CAN"T TACKLE! If we got Ray Lewis he would not be able to tackle! Exaguration
    RamsFan16

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

WAY TOOO EARLY...

New players and new schemes are being tested in the pre season.......

Not concern yet....

More concern with keeping the players intact.....

Regarding LT's big run....

Archuletta looked like a deer caught in headlights.....

#1 Rule make a decision and stick with it. He started to attack and then stopped big no no. He had the angle if he had kept going. I'm more concern with the in decision than the outcome.......

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHORNS
    Regarding LT's big run....

Archuletta looked like a deer caught in headlights.....

#1 Rule make a decision and stick with it. He started to attack and then stopped big no no. He had the angle if he had kept going. I'm more concern with the in decision than the outcome.......
    It's too early to tell on Arch as well. He is hesitant and that is to be expected. I was watching him and he did not want to put his body at risk. He warmed up some during the game. I liked his sack. He came up and made a full tackle without slowing up.

The way I see it, he will either come back to full speed, and deliver big hits, or his back will give again and he will be done. Either way though, he needs to test his body in a full contact kind of way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast