Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Marmie should stay

We are so weak defensively, Buddy Ryan couldn't have made this defense competitive.

Look at the way we played: couldn't tackle, couldn't hold onto an interception, made minor RB's Pro Bowlers, couldn't cover anyone.....and this started late in 2003 sports fans.

I'm not so sure this is all Marmie or mostly Lovie.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Well said Tx.

I too wonder where the blame lands and believe this was coming regardless who was coaching this defense. In my opinion Lovie's defense was over achieving the majority of his tenure in St. Lou. All I am saying is that maybe we need to cut him a break for Marmie to catch a break.

My opinion also, IF we can pick-up Hartwell this off-season, move Thomas to outside and find a safety that can lay the wood we will have a completely different squad.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan

I'm not so sure this is all Marmie or mostly Lovie.

AugustaRamFan is offline Registered User

Either Mammy had the wrong sheme or the wrong players in AZ. As noted above, the AZ defense improved after Mammy left. So....could have the been the scheme.. in AZ.

Mammy takes a decent, not great D in St. Louis and tanks it. May not have been the players, since they did a credible job before Mammy. So, one could argue it was the scheme again.

With that said, Mammy's schemes are not getting it done, if he cant coach his schemes and can't get talent to overcome sheme deficiencies, then his is a poor coach. And... he should go.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

I said it before and Ill say it again...hiring this guy was the height of ARROGANT IGNORANCE on the part of his good buddy. WHO BRINGS IN THE WORST DC IN THE NFL AND EXPECTS ANYTHING GOOD TO HAPPEN??? AN ARROGANT FOOL...THATS WHO! I hope they keep him...another year of this pathetic MESS is the only way to purge this sorry pair form this organiztion.

Tailgage-Mayor is offline Registered User

Agree.

Marmie can in and failed to match is strategy with the strengths and weaknesses of his resources. He also has no track record of success (thanks for the stats posted earlier).

I’m not one who generally yells, “fire the coach”, but in this instance his termination can certainly be justified. Actually, it’s easy to question why he was ever hired (other than the Arizona connection Martz continues to rely on).

“Marmie, clean out your office”.

You can tell Marmie to clean out his office all anyone wants to, we still have shoddy personnel on defense.

It's like the old saying, just because you can shine a piece of something, it only makes it a shiny piece of something.

It's still something.

Tailgage-Mayor is offline Registered User

I agree, both personnel and coaching are issues. However I believe the loss of BY and Grant was not sufficient to drop us from 21st against the rush to 29th against the rush, and reduce take aways from 46 to 15.

Coaching must take some responsibility for this drop in production. With Marmie’s resume, he was a questionable candidate in the first place.

Based on the few interviews that have been allowed with Marmie, he’s not a coach that can also be a leader and motivator (like Lovie). Marmie is more of a quiet X’s and O’s senior citizen. Since leadership and motivation will not come from the coach, this leadership and motivation must come from within, from another player.

If Marmie stays, we need a defensive free agent to lead this defense. Personally, I’d rather hire a coach that’s also a leader, IMHO.

You'd rather stay with this personnel on defense and fire the coach instead of firing some of the players and keeping the coach, fine. That's your opinion.

However, I've watched these linebackers get pushed around way too much.....I've watched this secondary drop interception after interception.....I've watched medicore TE's get way way way open way too many times for me. You throw out the coach and keep mediocre talent. I'll keep a mediocre coach and get better talent.

Talent always make coaches better, just ask one.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    You'd rather stay with this personnel on defense and fire the coach instead of firing some of the players and keeping the coach, fine.

No. I want to fire some of the players AND fire some of the coaching staff. It's not either or.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12