throwback week

Thread: Marques Hagans

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Marques Hagans

With the recent resigning of Marques Hagans, I thought we could get some discussion going about him and his future with the Rams. I honestly don't know much about him but what I just rad and am about to repost. After reading his strengths he sounds like an ideal KR/PR, but obviously he didn't show enough to get a shot at it, even with us struggling so bad there.

Height: 5-10
    Weight: 205
    40 Speed: 4.65*
    Position: Wide Receiver
    College: Virginia

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/hagans_marques

"SUMMARY

Hagans was a very productive running-style quarterback at Virginia, but at under 5-foot-10, he will need to switch to another position to have an NFL career -- teams should look at him first at receiver, but he has the athleticism to also be tried at running back and defensive back. He is a very good athlete with the foot quickness, agility, playing speed and elusiveness to make plays as a receiver. He is a smart kid who should be able to learn a new position at the highest level. He has all the physical tools to become a good No. 3 receiver who can excel lining up as a slot receiver and will contribute as a returner and could be a valuable option quarterback choice in 2-point situations. You must not over-draft him, but he would be a solid late-round pick or free-agent signing.

STRONG POINTS

Hagans is a very good athlete with the quick feet, agility and balance to make plays with the ball in his hands. In workouts, he has shown good hands catching the ball. He is a dangerous runner in the open field which will enable him to be a good runner after the catch -- he can make tacklers miss and has the balance to keep his feet vs. hits. He has the quickness and agility to get in and out of cuts quickly to run good pass routes -- he showed it in workouts. He is a very good kid with all the mental intangibles that you could ever ask for in a player asked to switch positions in the NFL.

WEAKNESSES

Obviously, Hagans is an athlete and not an established receiver having played quarterback in college. While he has looked good in workouts, he has virtually no experience lining up as a receiver and will need to learn the position at the highest level. He is shorter than ideal for a receiver and does not have the elite playing speed to be a home run threat -- he's more quick than fast."

http://www.stlouisrams.com/article/53687/

"OVERVIEW

Two-year starter at quarterback (2004-05) … played a multitude of roles throughout his career in addition to quarterback … spent two seasons at wide receiver and punt returner, while also lining up at tailback periodically … played in all 51 games in his career, tying a school record for most games played … started the final 24 games of his career at quarterback, the longest streak by a UVa QB since at least 1950 … started 26 games in his career at quarterback, including at least one each year to join Scott Gardner (1972-75) as the only quarterbacks in school history to start at least one game in four different seasons … finished his career in the top five in virtually every quarterback category in school history … second in the UVa record book in completion percentage (.623), third in completions (408), fourth in attempts (655) and total offense (5779), fifth in yards (4877), and seventh in touchdown passes (27) … 11 200-yard passing games in his career are fourth … completed at least 60 percent of his passes in 15 of 26 starts … his 902 career rushing yards are third all-time by a Cavalier quarterback …led the team to eight wins as a junior in 2004, tied for the most by a first time UVa starting quarterback … was Virginia’s leading punt returner in 2002 and 2003 … sixth in UVa history with 58 career punt returns and ninth with 531 punt return yards … received his degree in anthropology in May 2005 and played as a graduate student during the 2005 season.

CAREER HONORS

2005—Most Valuable Player of the Music City Bowl vs. Minnesota … ACC Offensive Back of the Week for the
    Florida State game (Oct. 17). 2004—UVa’s Most Valuable Player of the MPC Computers Bowl vs. Fresno State …
    ACC Offensive Back of the Week following the Syracuse game (Sept. 27). 2003—ACC Offensive Back of the Week
    by Collegefootballnews.com for his play vs. Western Michigan on Sept. 13."

So I guess my question is, what roll do you see him playing for the Rams, or is there a future for him here at all?

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Marques Hagans

I would say punt return, thats what we all wanted to see him as, and I think thats more than likely going to be his role on this team.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

I would say more of an Atwoin Randell El

jkramsfan Guest

since we most likely are going to lose mcdonald and curtis,maybe hagans and looker can step up into those roles and then we draft a receiver somewhere in the moddle rounds to bring along.it would be risky if bruce or holt went down,but might be worth a shot.

denverram is offline Registered User

I am not sure we will lose both Curtis and MacDonald. I think we keep Curtis and let Mac walk.

I think we are looking at a possible PR/KR in Hagans. I also am not going to spend to much time thinking about an offseason roster spot. I mean were talkin off season roster spot.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by denverram View Post
    I also am not going to spend to much time thinking about an offseason roster spot. I mean were talkin off season roster spot.
    It is the offseason, what else are we supposed to talk about?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    I would say more of an Atwoin Randell El
    That's the best case scenario, but realistically is very unlikely.

I would hope that in Year Two, Hagans can contribute as a 4th or 5th receiver and a return man. We'll see.