throwback week



Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    moklerman Guest

    Marshall Faulk Q & A on SI

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...cus/index.html

    Q&A: Marshall Faulk
    Posted: Thursday September 21, 2006 3:14PM; Updated: Thursday September 21, 2006 3:14PM

    Last week SI writer Richard Deitsch interviewed Marshall Faulk for the magazine's Q&A. The seven-time Pro Bowl running back is an analyst for the NFL Network as he rehabs his knee. Here are additional excerpts from the interview:

    SI: You're sitting out this season with a knee injury. Do you expect to play next season?

    Faulk: If I can get myself healthy, without a doubt.

    SI: If you're unable to return from this knee injury, how difficult will that be to accept?

    Faulk: If my last game was the game last January against the Cowboys in Texas Stadium, then so be it. I don't look back and reflect. I played more downs than most men will ever get to play.

    SI: Is there any other team you would play for outside of the Rams?

    Faulk: No. If there was not a role for me on that team, that would be it for my NFL career.

    SI: You are a New Orleans native. You were in Detroit playing in an exhibition game when Hurricane Katrina first hit. What do you remember about those initial days?

    Faulk: When you live in New Orleans or Down South, you go through hurricanes all the time. So that's no big deal. The hurricane wasn't what caused the brunt of the problem. It was when the flooding started. I was worried about my family when the hurricane was coming through but I felt like we'd been through this before. But once the flooding started and a couple of days passed and there was no help, I couldn't help but wonder: Man, what's going on? What's it going to take to help?

    SI: What is like for you to return to New Orleans today?

    Faulk: I feel for the people who had to go through it. The thing that gets to me is that it's still the way it is. I know the business area is coming back but I hope what they are doing is getting people to move back who were from the [residential] areas where the minority population was pretty much 100 percent.

    SI: A couple of years ago you finished fifth in an SI poll of the NFL's smartest players. Did you think of yourself as a smart player?

    Faulk: The guys ahead of me were quarterbacks, right?

    SI: All except Ray Lewis.

    Faulk: I doubt they [the quarterbacks] were as intelligent as I am because they don't know the running part of the game. I felt like I was prepared for whatever would happen on the field. It allowed me to go out and play free because I didn't worry about whether teams through something at me because I had studied it. I was prepared.

    SI: Any early thoughts toward Super Bowl teams?

    Faulk: Before Carson Palmer came back, I thought the Colts had the best opportunity to win in the AFC. I've always felt like Carolina will be the team to beat when they get healthy.

    SI: Have you ever been told by the NFL what you can and cannot say on the NFL Network?

    Faulk: No, not at all. Although we are owned by the owners, we're entitled to cover sports exactly like any other station. That's the best part about it.

    SI: You visited the Saints' practice facility in August to meet with Reggie Bush. What did you tell him?

    Faulk: We talked football and certain plays that they had installed that are good plays for backs that are multifaceted. As a player I can help simplify it. There is different terminology going from college to the pros. It's often the same plays, but different terminology. Sometimes hearing certain words trigger different thoughts and I was just trying to put it in an overall view for him. I wanted to give him simple pointers to make the game easier.

    SI: Reggie said he used to sit in the stands at San Diego State football games and watch you. Did he tell you that?

    Faulk: We talked about that once before when I met him after his freshman year at USC. That was amusing, But he didn't have to tell me that to make me feel old. I'm old. I know I'm old.

    SI: How is your relationship with Steven Jackson?

    Faulk: It's good. Steven is a young kid that just wants to be successful and I think sometimes people take his comments as kind of brash. But I understand Steven. He just wants to be the best back he can. It's just unfortunate that there is a shadow of me that's there and he stands in it. It creates his identity within the organization and around the league.

    SI: What stood out about Peyton Manning when he was a rookie?

    Faulk: He was very sharp, very detailed-oriented. He was a sponge as to what was going on around him and what it took to win.

    SI: Did you like him?

    Faulk: Oh, yeah. The guy is easy to like. You look at him and say, OK, he's a natural leader

    SI: You can take one back on any team to start a franchise. Who do you take and why?

    Faulk: You would be crazy not to take LaDainian Tomlinson. I don't know if the guy has had a Pro Bowl offensive lineman yet and he has put the numbers. I like Shaun Alexander and what he brings to the table but he's playing with three Pro Bowl offensive linemen and a Pro Bowl quarterback.

    SI: What opponent did you enjoy competing against the most?

    Faulk: When I was with the Colts, I loved playing against the Bills. They were the best in the AFC and we played them twice a year. It was always fun to compete against guys like Darryl Talley, Cornelius Bennett, Bruce Smith, Henry Jones and Thomas Smith. When I got to the Rams, obviously it was the *****. It was so much fun playing against those guys with all the history between the two teams.

    SI: Who's the one quarterback you'd want leading you in a two-minute drive?

    Faulk: I'd still have to go with Kurt Warner and that's nothing against Marc Bulger or Peyton. I've played with them and a lot of quarterbacks. Warner is a unique individual. I enjoyed my time playing with him. And he's unique not just because of his ability to throw the ball. I'm talking about as a person, a humanitarian, as a husband, as a man, as a father. He's an all-around great man.

    SI: Is Terrell Owens ultimately worth the headache?

    Faulk: If you are in dire need of a receiver, you have to go get him. You have to bring him on the team. And obviously Jerry Jones felt his organization was in need of this guy so he made a move to get him. People have to understand sometimes we in the media -- and I said we because I'm part of that now -- blow the news we hear or the things he does out of proportion. For Terrell, it's just him being him in a sense. And if you want him on your team, some of those things are just the things you have to deal with.

    SI: What will happen with him?

    Faulk: If we get the guy that we have been seeing, it'll turn out great


  2. #2
    RamFan_Til_I_Die's Avatar
    RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,163
    Rep Power
    69

    Re: Marshall Faulk Q & A on SI

    Great interview, I enjoyed every question. Thanks for posting it. Here are some of the more interesting highlights to me:

    Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    SI: Is there any other team you would play for outside of the Rams?

    Faulk: No. If there was not a role for me on that team, that would be it for my NFL career.
    Great answer. He loves the Rams and the Rams love him. I hope this never changes.


    Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    SI: A couple of years ago you finished fifth in an SI poll of the NFL's smartest players. Did you think of yourself as a smart player?

    Faulk: The guys ahead of me were quarterbacks, right?

    SI: All except Ray Lewis.

    Faulk: I doubt they [the quarterbacks] were as intelligent as I am because they don't know the running part of the game. I felt like I was prepared for whatever would happen on the field. It allowed me to go out and play free because I didn't worry about whether teams through something at me because I had studied it. I was prepared.
    Sounds cocky, but in reality it's true. He had to know the passing and rushing game since he was so involved in both. His knowledge of the opposing team's defense and his knowing the Rams offense inside and out helped make him great.



    Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    SI: You visited the Saints' practice facility in August to meet with Reggie Bush. What did you tell him?

    Faulk: We talked football and certain plays that they had installed that are good plays for backs that are multifaceted. As a player I can help simplify it. There is different terminology going from college to the pros. It's often the same plays, but different terminology. Sometimes hearing certain words trigger different thoughts and I was just trying to put it in an overall view for him. I wanted to give him simple pointers to make the game easier.
    It's great that he's doing that. Him and Bush are so similar it's scary. I'm looking forward to watching Bush flourish in the NFL; he's a very fun and exciting player to watch.


    Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    SI: How is your relationship with Steven Jackson?

    Faulk: It's good. Steven is a young kid that just wants to be successful and I think sometimes people take his comments as kind of brash. But I understand Steven. He just wants to be the best back he can. It's just unfortunate that there is a shadow of me that's there and he stands in it. It creates his identity within the organization and around the league.
    He's 100% right. It's funny to me that the Rams, a supposed passing team, have such great running backs. As we all know a great run game will make any passing game flourish. This year's team is no different. We're getting better every game and I'm predicting a top 5 offense when the season is over.


    Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    SI: Who's the one quarterback you'd want leading you in a two-minute drive?

    Faulk: I'd still have to go with Kurt Warner and that's nothing against Marc Bulger or Peyton. I've played with them and a lot of quarterbacks. Warner is a unique individual. I enjoyed my time playing with him. And he's unique not just because of his ability to throw the ball. I'm talking about as a person, a humanitarian, as a husband, as a man, as a father. He's an all-around great man.
    More props for the legendary Kurt Warner. Faulk worked with and played against the best. For him to give the nod to Warner over Manning, Elway, Favre, Marino etc is saying something. Bulger is good but he needs to develop faster reads on the defense and get rid of the ball quicker like Warner did. When you have defense in your face you have to make FAST judgements. Warner is a special guy, and there has never been or ever will be anyone quite like him. Again, as the team gets used to the new offense I think things will get better for Bulger and the offense as a whole.

  3. #3
    RamOfDenmark Guest

    Re: Marshall Faulk Q & A on SI

    Interesting read. Faulk seems very honest and insightful, which is a whole lot more than you get from most of the media. If he can't return for us next year I'm sure he could be a great host for a sports show, that is unless he wants to get into coaching or other work in an NFL organisation - the man has many talents.

  4. #4
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,061
    Rep Power
    131

    Re: Marshall Faulk Q & A on SI

    Great read, great stuff from Marshall. I hope he gets healthy because it sounds like HE would like one more year and that would be fine with me.

    Marshall the fifth smartest player in the NFL??? Behind Ray Lewis??? Without a doubt, THE smartest player in the NFL.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •