Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ram Warrior is offline Registered User

Marshall will He return?

The rumors had been flying for several days regarding running back Marshall Faulk. That he had decided to retire and would accept a job from the NFL Network. That his absence from the team's minicamp was as much about a rift with coach Scott Linehan as it was about one of his knees being slow to respond after February surgery on both knees.

Faulk worked to stop the speculation when he appeared at his annual charity golf tournament June 12.

When asked about talk he has decided to stop playing, Faulk said, "That's second-hand. It didn't come from me. There's no timetable."

Concerning the problem with his knee, Faulk said, "I'm kind of a foreigner to my own body. I thought I knew this piece of work here. As you get a little older, you kind of become a little distant with your body. You wake up, and things don't feel the way they used to.

"The thing that I'm not doing that I used to do is accelerate it, do more to get back quicker. I've done that. I've had surgery in the season, come back and played. I don't think I could do that right now. I'm really taking my time with it and allowing it to let me know, 'We can go,' or 'We can't.'"

While the Rams apparently haven't pushed Faulk for a decision, it makes sense the team would like to know in time for the first training camp practice on July 27. But Faulk said that might not be possible.

"I don't know if you can say, 'Hey, knee, you've got to be ready by camp,'" he said. "What do you do? How do I tell it that? If that was the case, I'd have told it to be ready six months ago."

Faulk does acknowledge that thoughts of retiring have been in his head for a while. If he plays, Faulk will be a backup to Steven Jackson. He can handle that, but he also wants to feel comfortable that the team has a chance to be successful.

"When you get to Year 13, when you get a coaching change, you look at the bigger picture of things," Faulk said. "You say, 'Are we going to be playing for a championship?' If that doesn't seem possible, then you start thinking about other things. It's a thought that for the last two or three years has crept into my mind."

Still, he says he likes what he has seen from Linehan and he talks frequently with new running backs coach Wayne Moses.

Faulk said, "We talk football a little. He (Linehan) seems very knowledgeable about what he wants to get accomplished, about what kind of team he wants to have. He's trying to get from me a feeling for the team, the guys and stuff like that. We're just trying to mesh, trying to put it all together and win some football games."

Agent Rocky Arceneaux said that Faulk is "very sensitive to the Rams and what their needs are. Obviously if he can't go, they have to address that need and get a third running back, but they haven't really put any pressure on us."

"Integrity is the formula of who a person Is or Is not"

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: Marshall will He return?

It sounds like Faulk does not think this team is going anywhere this year. I wonder if this thought is consistant with the rest of the team.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I'm not sure about the team, but this fan doesn't see much out of this group.

Faulk can take as long as he wants. He's earned that right.

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

you are right "TX" he has earned that right and more , one of the best of all time , I think he should retire and enjoy retirement and maybe be a coach for us ???

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

I didn't get that he didn't think this team was going anywhere. What I did get is it's more of his knees, and he was checking out Linehan.

"When you get to Year 13, when you get a coaching change, you look at the bigger picture of things," Faulk said. "You say, 'Are we going to be playing for a championship?' If that doesn't seem possible, then you start thinking about other things. It's a thought that for the last two or three years has crept into my mind."
    Does that sound positve to you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Utter, I see where you are coming from. But, you have to see the other side, too. Marshall has not been to any of the OTA's or camps this year. He hasn't seen what the team is doing, if we can believe the reports. He may be basing that statement on his experience the last couple of years since the once dominant Rams have slid into mediocrity. And, if he is still having physical problems (knees), he's not going to be real upbeat. I think it's more of a statement of reality as he percieves it than a prediction.

bigredman is offline Registered User

I heard on ESPN radio today (June 24, 2006) that according to the hosts on the radio who have played golf with Faulk recently, that Faulk wants to return and play another year, but they (the guys on ESPN radio) believe that it is the Rams front office that is trying to discourage Faulk from returning. Their reason given was that the Rams do not believe that Faulk can no longer contribute in a meaningful way within Linehan's vision of what needs to be accomplished, and possibly that Faulk's presence could become a distraction. Just the messenger here.
    Last edited by bigredman; -06-26-2006 at 09:37 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam
    Utter, I see where you are coming from. But, you have to see the other side, too. Marshall has not been to any of the OTA's or camps this year. He hasn't seen what the team is doing, if we can believe the reports. He may be basing that statement on his experience the last couple of years since the once dominant Rams have slid into mediocrity. And, if he is still having physical problems (knees), he's not going to be real upbeat. I think it's more of a statement of reality as he percieves it than a prediction.
    You can call it a statement of reality, or you can call it a prediction. I does not really matter what you call the statement. Either way he is not worried about being politically correct.

Attitude is important. A lot of football games are won and lost on the mental attitude of the players and coaches. You need to care and you need to want to win.

I am not sure that Faulk has that attitude right now, but knowing him, he will bring the winning attitude to any game he plays in during the season
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I don't see Faulk playing much of a role with this rendition of the Rams anyway, so I'm not really worried about when or if he retires.

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

Just as Long as he does what he does for all the right reasons , If he comes on 3rd down that may make the D have something else to think about ...

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Concerning the problem with his knee, Faulk said, "I'm kind of a foreigner to my own body. I thought I knew this piece of work here. As you get a little older, you kind of become a little distant with your body. You wake up, and things don't feel the way they used to.
    Welcome to reality Mr. Faulk; It only gets worse.
    If he's a little distant from his body now, just imagine how he'll feel at the end of a game. It's does not appear that Marshall is in any shape to play right now.
    I just don't think he can be the player we need him to be. I wouldn't be surprised if he's either put on IR to start the season or decides to retire.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

From Rumor Mill NFL.com

St. Louis Rams Updated:06/26/2006
    The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Marshall Faulk could become an analyst for the NFL Network. Faulk could require another surgery, which could place him on the injured reserve list for the 2006 season. He would receive his full salary from the Rams and be free to work in television.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

I'm not sure about the team, but this fan doesn't see much out of this group.

Faulk can take as long as he wants. He's earned that right.
    While I totally agree that Faulk deserves all the time he needs, I am gonna have to kind of disagree with you on your other opinion. I truly think that Haslett will turn our D around, and Linehan is a bright young coach that will at the very least, return the Rams to the playoffs. I know my opinion is just that an opinion, but I have a great feeling about the immediate direction that we are headed.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce=GOAT
    While I totally agree that Faulk deserves all the time he needs, I am gonna have to kind of disagree with you on your other opinion. I truly think that Haslett will turn our D around, and Linehan is a bright young coach that will at the very least, return the Rams to the playoffs. I know my opinion is just that an opinion, but I have a great feeling about the immediate direction that we are headed.
    I completely agree!!! I watch game footage of GSOT and everything offensively is in place. I feel that Action Jackson is going to have a Pro bowl year and if Bulger stays healthy our offense is going to be dangerous. As for defense it can only get better and i'm excited. NOW I'M CONVINCED NFL TICKET HERE IS MY MONEY THE RAMS ARE GOING TO THE PLAYOFFS!!!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast