RamWraith is offline Registered User

Marshall's chat transcript

Welcome to The Show! On Thursday, St. Louis Rams running back and former Madden NFL video game cover athlete, Marshall Faulk, will stop by to take your questions!
    Faulk has amassed over 12,000 rushing yards in his 12 seasons in the league. A threat with both his legs and hands, Faulk has totaled 100 touchdowns on the ground and 36 through the air. He plans to return for the 2006 season after recovering from offseason arthroscopic surgery on both knees.

Faulk was the cover athlete for the 2003 Madden NFL video game and in the following season he faced numerous injuries, rushed for less than 1,000 yards and the Rams finished 7-9.

Was Faulk's injury a result of the Madden cover jinx? You'll have to ask him. But the coincidences keep piling up as former cover athletes like Michael Vick, Eddie George and Donovan McNabb have also suffered injuries following their appearance on the video game packaging.

Send in your questions now and then join Faulk at noon ET on Thursday!

Buzzmaster: Marshall will be here shortly so keep the questions coming!

Marshall Faulk: I'm here and ready to go!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Brandon (Provo, UT): Marshall, you are one of the all-time greats at RB. How is the attitude different with the Rams this year with Coach Linehan as compared to previous years with Martz?

Marshall Faulk: I have to be honest, I haven't been back in the team atmosphere yet. I was excused from the first camp so it's hard to say. But we had a great group last year and added to that this year, and we were good last year but losing your leader always makes things a little more challenging.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sneed (Baltimore, Md): How's the knee coming along Marshall?

Marshall Faulk: Doing pretty well. I haven't done a lot but am getting into rehab now, maybe a week or two away from the rigorous portion.

Jason (Roslyn, NY): Do you believe in the "Madden Curse," that is going around?

Marshall Faulk: I don't think there's a curse, per se. It just happens that high-profile players are picked for the game and those are the guys who are in the middle of the action all the time. I don't think it's anything more than a coincidence that players who are out there giving their all get injured after being on the cover.

Ben Sanger (Silver Spring, MD): The guys in the league seem to keep getting bigger and bigger. What was the hardest hit you have ever taken and by who?

Marshall Faulk: The guys are getting bigger and strpnger but hitting isn't something that's being taught as much in the league. Sure tackleing and not hurting yourself while making a tackle is more of a prerequisite right now. They want to deliver blows but they also don't want to hurt them selves. Kurt Gouveia probably delivered the biggest hit back when he was with the Chargers and I was with the Colts. There just aren't a lot of big hitters in the league today.

Kelly (Charlotte, NC): Do the Rams have a legitimate shot at winning the division this year, and are the Cardinals for real w/ Edge in the backfield?

Marshall Faulk: Definitely and not just in our division but in the conference overall. The salary cap has brought parity and team are always coming out of nowhere, especially teams like ours. We caught some bad breaks last year that threw us off, we'll get an early draft choice and we'll have some quality players to put on the field. Not just Edge, but getting Dennis Green was good for them and the draft has panned out for them. And with the new stadium the owners can keep the players around and continue to grow as a team. They will be a contender.

Seth (DC): Marshall, I've always thought of you as an all-time great player. Have you ever stopped and thought about your position in the history of the NFL?

Marshall Faulk: I don't really think about that. The minute you do you slow down and guys catch up. I'll let other people make those determinations. It's been an honor to play in the league and I'm just thankful to have the opportunity. I thank the guys who paved the way for me and others to make the kind of money and have the fun we are now.

Andy (KC,MO): Excluding yourself, Marshall, who is the best all around player in the league??

Marshall Faulk: Tough. You have to think running back when you say 'all-around' because of the blocking, running, catchign and even throwning. So I'd have to say LaDanian Tomlinson. He doesn't have a lot of talent around him but he makes his team better all by himself and that is a huge credit.

Peyton Fort Worth, Tx: Don't you think it is early for people to compare Reggie Bush to a likes of a Mr. Gayle Sears?

Marshall Faulk: I think so. When I came out they wanted to compare me to other guys, and hopefully Reggie can take things to a new level, where he's not compared to Emmitt, LaDainian or myself. You want to carve out your own identity.

Widmer (Portland, OR): After you retire, are you still going to be around the game (i.e. tv/radio guy, front office, coaching, etc.), or are you going to get away like Barry Sanders has?

Marshall Faulk: I love football and I appreciate the game and I want to continue to be around the game as much as I can. None of that is to say anything bad about what Barry has done becase I know he loves the game, too, but I would prefer to stay around football.

Brian H. (Chapel Hill, NC): What places do you like to vacation at during the off-season?

Marshall Faulk: Living in California I don't have to go far, but I like Mexico and Hawaii.

massie (sharon woods ,oh): Marshall, On my first, and only, visit to New Orleans a few years ago I fell in love with the place. Boy, was it hot however. What are your favorite memories of the city? Godspeed to all who were impacted by Katrina.

Marshall Faulk: Ones that most tourists don't get to experience. The programs in the New Orleans Recreation department, the mom-and-pop restaurants and the great food, just the little things.

Marshall Faulk: I'm out of time, but thanks for logging on and sending all the questions and allowing me to share some insight with you!

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: Marshall's chat transcript

It happened already? What is this!
    RamsFan16

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

some of us might be at school like ME!!! why couldn't this have happened at 5 or 6?

RamWraith is offline Registered User