Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Is Marshall's Likely Return The Best Thing For The Rams?

Don't get me wrong. I'm a BIG Marshall Faulk fan. From 1999 to 2001, he was, in my opinion, the best player in the league, hands down. His play during those years ranks up there with any running back in the history of the game. Without Marshall Faulk, the GSOT never would have existed.

But now... its 2006. Marshall Faulk is not the player he was in the glory years. He's a 30something back who has lost a step, who can't handle the full load anymore, and who has knees that have more wear and tear than most at his age.

While some Rams fans have not fully accepted it, Steven Jackson is now "the man." He's the every-down, feature back of the Rams for 2006 and beyond.

So, what is Marshall's role? Is he a mentor? I don't know that he is. While I think he is a willing teacher, and sets a good example, Jackson is his own man. He's a different type of back, who needs to focus on honing his skills, rather than trying to be Marshall. Truth is, he'll never be Marshall - though he may be a top tier back in his own way.

Essentially, Marshall is now a "change-of-pace" back. But... is he really suited for this role? Perhaps, but I wonder if he really is happy in that type of role.

The plain truth is, the Rams probably could find a player in the 4th round of the draft who would be more effective than Marshall Faulk right now as a "change-of-pace" back. There are players coming out who, though probably not every down backs, could come in with 4.4 speed and be used as a situational player who can break big runs on occasion. Someone who will be around, not just for one "farewell" season, but for several seasons.

Marshall has certainly earned the right to decide when he wants to retire, and I would not want to see the Rams make that decision for him.

Nonetheless, I wonder if he really makes the team better in 2006, or if he's just another guy hanging around for one season too many.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Is Marshall's Likely Return The Best Thing For The Rams?

The analysis is not that simple. Keep in mind, this is not about whether we should sign faulk to come back. He is under contract. If he doesnt come back, we will have over a million dollars and i believe more of dead money. We are not in any way a better team paying cap money for faulk not to come back. I think he still has plenty in the tank to contribute when used properly.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Rambos is online now Registered User

I’m not sold on the fact that Marshal is out of gas. He has slowed down that’s a fact, but so has the O-line that he was playing behind. I’m sure Linehan will have a good game plan for using two backs. Martz never really used one back with much of a commitment. I would definitely take Marshal over a 4th round rookie at this stage of his career. I’m sure a 4th round rookie can’t pick up a blitz like Marshal.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Faulk's knowledge of every facet of the game itself is the main reason I think we should keep him. His ability to remain a RB who makes a difference is second.
    Those who wish to keep him or Bruce because of their past history are not doing us any good. We need players who can perform in the here and now. Whether Marshall is up to the challenge is for him to decide first, then Linehan.
    I hope he can still do it in 2006. The Bus did it...why not Marshall?

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I liked what I saw from Marshall Faulk in 2005 and would like to see more in 2006, much more. His average per carry was a very respectable 4.5, he caught 44 passes and he's still the smartest player in the NFL. Steven Jackson has a pattern of getting dinged up every now and then and it would be great to have Faulk around to pick up the slack if necessary. He's still viable IMO.

Rip32 is offline Registered User

Although i think he can still be one of the best 2nd string runners in the league I think the mentor is what he will be again and that seems to have hindered Jacksons progression tryin to live up to Marshall and what he did for the GSOT,Jackson should'nt have to deal with that,He is a different player,different style.

I hope he comes back this year and we get something on paper that when the season is over he hangs them up and begins his coaching career here as a RB coach or an offensive assistant because we all know this guy is a smart as the day is long and will be a great coach and I for one would love to see him involved in the new youth coaching movement that is going on at Rams park.

:clanram:

Hodgins is offline Registered User
    marshall faulk is a far better reciever then jackson is or will ever be and even in his old age hes still quicker and accelerates better then him as well, hes a perfect third down/change of pace back and dont forget about the possability of jackson getting hurt, arlen harris or marshall faulk... who would you rather have holding down the fort?
    Last edited by Hodgins; -02-11-2006 at 10:49 PM.

why the seahawks still envy the rams:tongue:

Rampage39 is offline Registered User

we need faulk to come back as insurance if jackson goes down.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I like the fact that one of us has dared to ask the question. We've done it with Isaac too, and I think it shows that we aren't in danger of developing personality cults to rival the "Church of Kurt". (an awful PD phrase I know, but I can't think of another way to refer them) It's objective.

I think Marshall makes us a better team next year if he decides to stick around, but I would like to see us develop an alternative for the season after. Whether that comes via the draft or FA is not something that concerns me. I don't see any value in Marshall returning for longer than next season, from his point of view or the organisations.

What does he have left to prove?

Nothing.

The point about the his cap value is well made, but I think the issue is that his cap value is so high in the first place not the fact that if he's gone it's dead money. His cap value reflects what he's done, not what he's going to do in the future.

It's time to plan for the future at this position. Jackson, whilst a big powerful back and the future of our running game, needs insurance. Marshall provides that next season, but i'd like to see us start thinking now about a long term answer to the depth issue.

cowboyhater is offline Registered User

I like the fact that one of us has dared to ask the question. We've done it with Isaac too, and I think it shows that we aren't in danger of developing personality cults to rival the "Church of Kurt". (an awful PD phrase I know, but I can't think of another way to refer them) It's objective.

You raise a good point. However, I do believe that it is in a team's interest to consider the psychological impact of letting certain players go. I am a Warner supporter, but I do not compare his three years with Bruces dozen regarding the teams commitment. Also, unlike a QB, there are graceful ways to move a WR down the depth chart. If we want players to look at more than $$$ when reneing contracts, we have to give them a reason to think that playing in St. Louis is better at $xxx than playing somewhere else for $(xxx+1). These things have to be reviewed on a case by case basis, and even Babe Ruth was traded to the Boston Braves in the end, but in an era where the player trult becomes a free agent, you want to give them a reason to think that loyalty will be reciprocated when appropriate. This would be on a case by case basis. The niners did not benefit by dumping Rice.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

IMO Marshall wasn't used properly last season. MM's offense was to hit the big pass, I don't have enough fingers to count how many times MF was open underneath or in the flat and went unnoticed. Hopefully this new coaching staff will use MF for what he is, a threat. Last year it seemed to me he was used to block and as a decoy. I truly believe the guy can still play at a high level.

ramstiles is offline Registered User

I think its simple we have to pay marshall as he is under contract and what better backup could you have as I said its simple marshall marshall marshall must come back

NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

I agree with R8R, MF is the smartest RB in the league. He reads defenses even better that P. Manning, he picks blitzes better than anyone, and still with 10+ years in the league he is still a threat to any D.
    Let's put aside his ability to break tackles or run in the open field which has been decreasing, but his ability to catch passes either in traffic or in the backfield is better than most of the top WR. He is a must go on a 3rd and long or a distraction for the other back to break the line of scrimmage.
    I think this is a no brainer, if he still wants to play let him wear that jersey #28 which will be shortly retired and put in the HOF

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

I do think we want Marshall to come back but I don't think he would be an effective replacement should Steven Jackson get hurt. Marshall with his knees could not be a work horse that can get a lot of carries.

I do think he would be a good situational RB. For example we could put him on definite pass plays to get another target.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Marshall Faulk was under-utilized last year. A smart OC will find a way to get this man off the sideline and into the game with Jackson in the backfield. MF would be great as a slot back, second TE, or split out wide. Even putting him in the backfield with Jackson (either in I or T) would create headaches for the opposing defense. His ability to read defenses, block, and catch with potential for YAC are all assets we need on this team. Not to mention his contribution to tutor Jackson's development.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast