Friday, December 23, 2005

By Nick Wagoner
Senior Writer

After another week of quarterback questions, the controversy or lack thereof was finally put to an end by interim coach Joe Vitt on Friday afternoon.

Vitt confirmed what many already knew and pretty much everyone expected. Jamie Martin will start Saturday’s game against the *****.

“We are going to go with Jamie,” Vitt said. “Jamie came to me earlier in the week and said ‘Joe, I can get this done for us.’ Jamie has won two games for us. I have known Jamie now for 10 years. He is another one that studies every week as a starter. He knows the system; he’s had an excellent week of practice. He deserves the opportunity…we are going to go with him.”

Martin started in place of an injured Marc Bulger against New Orleans and Jacksonville and was in charge in those two wins. While Martin didn’t necessarily win those games with any big numbers, he managed the game well and hit on some big plays when given the opportunity to help the Rams get a pair of important victories heading into the bye.

Martin remains a tough competitor and loves the opportunity to start, saying he is looking forward to playing on Christmas Eve in front of his family and friends. For the season, Martin is 72-of-104 for 765 yards and four touchdowns with a rating of 83.2.

JACKSON UNCERTAIN: Running back Steven Jackson remains a question mark for Saturday’s game because of a hip pointer and lingering foot problem.

When asked if Jackson remains a game time decision, Vitt said he was.

“Absolutely, yes,” Vitt said. “I wish he would have felt better by now but you know how that is. He’s a warrior now. We’ll wait and see, but that will be game day.”

If Jackson can’t go, Marshall Faulk will get the start. Jackson is listed as probable on the injury report.

INJURY REPORT: The Rams added defensive end Anthony Hargrove to the injury report as probable with an illness. Hargrove is the next in a long line of Rams that has caught the illness going around.

Joining Hargrove and Jackson as probable are Isaac Bruce (toe), Jerome Carter (illness), Leonard Little (ankle), Pisa Tinoisamoa (back) and Claude Terrell (virus).

Rex Tucker is questionable with a virus. Only Jackson and Tucker figure to be game time decisions.