RamWraith is offline Registered User

Martin's star rises just in time for Bulger to return

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    11/02/2005

You won't see Jamie Martin's performances against New Orleans and Jacksonville on ESPN Classic anytime soon. But in a bottom-line business, it's hard to argue with the results.

"We got two wins. So, that's the most important thing," Martin said. "It doesn't matter what I did out there. To get two wins, it's huge."

It wasn't always pretty, but Martin quarterbacked the Rams to much-needed victories over the Saints and Jaguars - victories that saved the season, at least for now. Martin threw three interceptions against Jacksonville, matching his career high. But he also threw a pair of touchdown passes, including a career-best 83-yard pass for a score to Kevin Curtis, in a 24-21 Rams triumph.

"At the end of the day, Jamie got both those wins," interim head coach Joe Vitt said. "For the most part, he protected the ball. He did a good job of running the offense in and out of the huddle. He made big plays when he had to make big plays. ... So he did exactly what he had to do to win. We're proud of him."

Marc Bulger is proud of Martin, but also relieved that the Rams won both games while he was sidelined with a shoulder injury.

"You're more nervous watching the game than actually being out there," Bulger said. "It was a nerve-wracking two games. ... Since we won, I feel 100 percent that we made the right decision in sitting out. If we were losing, I could sit here and say: 'What if? I should've played.' "

Now, Martin is expected to fade into the background again, because Bulger will return after the bye week to start against Seattle on Nov. 13.

"I'm rejuvenated," Bulger said. "It's like going to camp again. I'll have three weeks, four weeks off in between games. So it's like a whole new season for me."

Bulger hasn't played since injuring his throwing shoulder in the second quarter of the Rams' 45-28 loss Oct. 17 in Indianapolis.

"I'm sure I won't be 100 percent the rest of the year," Bulger said. "But it'll be well enough to play. The rest of my body's fine. Who knows if I'll shoot it up or not? But no one's 100 percent at this point of the year."

Bulger took a cortisone shot two weeks ago to aid the healing process in his shoulder.

"I won't do that anymore," Bulger said. "I'll just go straight to Novocain if something else happens."

Bulger threw Monday and Wednesday last week before the Jacksonville game. He tried to throw a little more Thursday as well.

"I was starting to regress a little bit because it was getting more sore, so I pretty much didn't do anything over the weekend," Bulger said.

Bulger also threw Tuesday to wide receiver Torry Holt.

One side effect of the injury is that Bulger will suspend his weightlifting, as was the case last season when he suffered a similar injury.

"I probably won't be able to lift for a couple months - bench press or stuff like that," Bulger said. "But throwing-wise, it'll be OK."

How does the weight-lifting sabbatical affect Bulger's overall strength?

"If you don't have much strength to begin with, then there's not much to lose," the lean Bulger said, poking fun at himself.

While sidelined, Bulger said he didn't have a lot of input with Martin or offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild.

"I tried to help out during the week with just different things for coverages that I thought would work," Bulger said. "Just to remind (Fairchild), because I've been here a little bit longer. But he did a good job of figuring out what to do."

So did Martin, who completed 31 of 50 passes for 398 yards in his two starts.

"Jamie did a great job protecting the ball against New Orleans," Bulger said. "Obviously, he had some picks (against Jacksonville), but he also made bigger plays. That first touchdown to Kevin, he couldn't have thrown it any better.

"He managed the game well, and on certain third downs, he made passes when he had to. It wasn't like the interceptions were taken back for touchdowns. They were just as good as punts in most of the cases."

Bulger said watching the Rams play while sidelined reminded him of "Northeast football - defense and running. ... We played the field position game, and it worked."

Bulger played his college ball in the Big East for West Virginia.

"The thing we've been lacking is that turnover when we need it," Bulger said. "But we've been getting it. That's been the big difference, just getting those key turnovers. And obviously, our running game has been doing a lot better than it has been."

If those two trends continue, life will be easier for Bulger, and his shoulder.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Re: Martin's star rises just in time for Bulger to return

You won't see Jamie Martin's performances against New Orleans and Jacksonville on ESPN Classic anytime soon.
    ...no but he did stay at a holiday inn express last night.

or.

No, but he is on the Game of the Week on the NFL channel.

Maybe you will see it on ESPN Classic someday.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

I'm not so sure I'm so relieved that Bulger is coming back. With that nagging shoulder injury always popping up. (we have already been through a similar situation) Martin , I have never liked, plays as good as bulger and the momentum is with him. I say leave him in and if he screws up bring back the scarecrow. Better yet let the harvard or yale boy or whatever he is get some reps.:tongue:
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

More of the same.

Why must people try to make a story where there is none?

Bulger is better than Martin. He's better than Martin with a healthy shoulder, and even with a banged up shoulder. He's just better.

Martin did a serviceable job in the past two weeks. His QB rating was around 74.0 - pretty much what you might expect from a career backup.

Bulger is the Rams' best QB option. End of story.

moklerman is offline Registered User

I don't think anyone's going to say that Martin is "better" than Bulger at this point but the hypocrasy is amazing. Whatever happened to "stat's don't matter, just win's" and "you just can't pull a qb when the team is winning", etc.? What about: "he's only had "X" amount of starts in his career, you can't give up on him this soon".

Don't all of these apply to Martin as well? I can't think of any argument for Bulger that wasn't expressed in defense of Warner. But, none of those mattered then. Do they matter now?

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Let it go, dude.

ramsfan1975 is offline Registered User

OMG! a new qb debate... warnerites step back.. its now bulgerites and martinites! get ready for the big debate!... season long trainwreck!....

no but seriously... let it go....