Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marty Gilyard

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Re: Marty Gilyard

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Frye View Post
    I agree, but in his defense ... that was an absolutely brutal shot he took. Just sayin' ...
    I agree, it was a shot! But you see those every week in the NFL so he's going to have to man up a little.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Gibson wasnt even on the active roster the past 2 weeks and Marty was so he didnt move ahead he was already there. And Gibson got hurt in the game also but it wasnt serious cuz he came back if im not mistaken

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    Gibson wasnt even on the active roster the past 2 weeks and Marty was so he didnt move ahead he was already there. And Gibson got hurt in the game also but it wasnt serious cuz he came back if im not mistaken
    Actually, according to the official website, Brandon Gibson is second string behind Robinson with Gilyard third string. If Gilyard has been active and Gibson not, one would assume that it was because Gilyard plays on special teams.

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

I'm a strong believer in the term "practice makes perfect" as with all rookies there'll be growing pains. Dudes gotta get his feet wet some way or another and i think throwing him in there for a couple of plays isn't gonna cut it. At this point he's still a project but the kid definately has some skills. He needs time in the game thats all.

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

I'm a strong believer in the term "practice makes perfect" as with all rookies there'll be growing pains. Dudes gotta get his feet wet some way or another and i think throwing him in there for a couple of plays isn't gonna cut it. At this point he's still a project but the kid definately has some skills. He needs time in the game thats all.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

So far, Marty reminds me of pretty much every rookie wide receiver. All mouth and not enough production. Only time will tell how good the kid turns out to be, but let's keep in mind that it's only been three weeks.

DPskywalker is offline Registered User

MG is not a burner. In fact, he's fairly slow for a WR. He's quick as a cat, just slow from a straight-line perspective.

Kinda like Barry Sanders.

Wow, I just found a legit way to compare Mardy Gilyard to Barry Sanders! Feel pretty good about that.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Gilyard isn't slow. He runs around a 4.5-4.6. That's actually above average(although barely). He's definitely not a burner though and you are right that his quickness is a greater asset than his speed. He also is a tremendous leaper. All in all he's a very good athlete with decent potential. One of the Rams better recent picks.

tmbkb8 is offline Registered User

Spags has been known to develop his later round picks slowly, and I think that is the case with Mardy. He needs time to get comfortable within the offense, as well as the team needing time to find where exactly we can utilize his playmaking skills most effectively.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    Gilyard isn't slow. He runs around a 4.5-4.6. That's actually above average(although barely). He's definitely not a burner though and you are right that his quickness is a greater asset than his speed. He also is a tremendous leaper. All in all he's a very good athlete with decent potential. One of the Rams better recent picks.
    Since the forty time has been brought up, I did a little look back at the receivers of the 2010 rookie class who were drafted. Of the 19 other drafted wide receivers, only two had slower forty times than Gilyard. In fact, the average forty time for those twenty receivers - Gilyard included - was 4.493. That number does not include forty times for half a dozen receivers whose full workout numbers were not available, but all of them have forty estimates lower than Gilyard's as well.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

DPskywalker is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Since the forty time has been brought up, I did a little look back at the receivers of the 2010 rookie class who were drafted. Of the 19 other drafted wide receivers, only two had slower forty times than Gilyard. In fact, the average forty time for those twenty receivers - Gilyard included - was 4.493. That number does not include forty times for half a dozen receivers whose full workout numbers were not available, but all of them have forty estimates lower than Gilyard's as well.
    Exactly. A 4.5-4.6 40 time for a 5'10 WR is molassis. Shockingly slow, honestly. Chris Long has about the same 40-time than Gilyard. SJ is faster.

He is very quick, though, and runs solid routes.

Isaac Bruce was slow, too. It doesn't really matter.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by mikhal5569 View Post
    So far, Marty reminds me of pretty much every rookie wide receiver. All mouth and not enough production. Only time will tell how good the kid turns out to be, but let's keep in mind that it's only been three weeks.
    That's not really true. Yes he's a talker, but not in referencing his own skills. He's admitted several times he needs to study harder, as he still has a lot to learn.

Aand the extra effort on his "one 7 yard" catch was significant. He's not very big.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12