Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27

Thread: Marty Gilyard

  1. #16
    makersncoke's Avatar
    makersncoke is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    mo
    Age
    47
    Posts
    659
    Rep Power
    21

    Re: Marty Gilyard

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Frye View Post
    I agree, but in his defense ... that was an absolutely brutal shot he took. Just sayin' ...
    I agree, it was a shot! But you see those every week in the NFL so he's going to have to man up a little.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  2. #17
    Fastcat is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    663
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Marty Gilyard

    Gibson wasnt even on the active roster the past 2 weeks and Marty was so he didnt move ahead he was already there. And Gibson got hurt in the game also but it wasnt serious cuz he came back if im not mistaken

  3. #18
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    60

    Re: Marty Gilyard

    Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    Gibson wasnt even on the active roster the past 2 weeks and Marty was so he didnt move ahead he was already there. And Gibson got hurt in the game also but it wasnt serious cuz he came back if im not mistaken
    Actually, according to the official website, Brandon Gibson is second string behind Robinson with Gilyard third string. If Gilyard has been active and Gibson not, one would assume that it was because Gilyard plays on special teams.

  4. #19
    Guam rammer's Avatar
    Guam rammer is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Guam
    Age
    45
    Posts
    855
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Marty Gilyard

    I'm a strong believer in the term "practice makes perfect" as with all rookies there'll be growing pains. Dudes gotta get his feet wet some way or another and i think throwing him in there for a couple of plays isn't gonna cut it. At this point he's still a project but the kid definately has some skills. He needs time in the game thats all.

  5. #20
    Guam rammer's Avatar
    Guam rammer is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Guam
    Age
    45
    Posts
    855
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Marty Gilyard

    I'm a strong believer in the term "practice makes perfect" as with all rookies there'll be growing pains. Dudes gotta get his feet wet some way or another and i think throwing him in there for a couple of plays isn't gonna cut it. At this point he's still a project but the kid definately has some skills. He needs time in the game thats all.

  6. #21
    mikhal5569's Avatar
    mikhal5569 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mass
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,102
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: Marty Gilyard

    So far, Marty reminds me of pretty much every rookie wide receiver. All mouth and not enough production. Only time will tell how good the kid turns out to be, but let's keep in mind that it's only been three weeks.

  7. #22
    DPskywalker is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    167
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Marty Gilyard

    MG is not a burner. In fact, he's fairly slow for a WR. He's quick as a cat, just slow from a straight-line perspective.

    Kinda like Barry Sanders.

    Wow, I just found a legit way to compare Mardy Gilyard to Barry Sanders! Feel pretty good about that.

  8. #23
    mcpeepants232003's Avatar
    mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    741
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Marty Gilyard

    Gilyard isn't slow. He runs around a 4.5-4.6. That's actually above average(although barely). He's definitely not a burner though and you are right that his quickness is a greater asset than his speed. He also is a tremendous leaper. All in all he's a very good athlete with decent potential. One of the Rams better recent picks.

  9. #24
    tmbkb8's Avatar
    tmbkb8 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    78
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Marty Gilyard

    Spags has been known to develop his later round picks slowly, and I think that is the case with Mardy. He needs time to get comfortable within the offense, as well as the team needing time to find where exactly we can utilize his playmaking skills most effectively.

  10. #25
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    32
    Posts
    19,805
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: Marty Gilyard

    Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    Gilyard isn't slow. He runs around a 4.5-4.6. That's actually above average(although barely). He's definitely not a burner though and you are right that his quickness is a greater asset than his speed. He also is a tremendous leaper. All in all he's a very good athlete with decent potential. One of the Rams better recent picks.
    Since the forty time has been brought up, I did a little look back at the receivers of the 2010 rookie class who were drafted. Of the 19 other drafted wide receivers, only two had slower forty times than Gilyard. In fact, the average forty time for those twenty receivers - Gilyard included - was 4.493. That number does not include forty times for half a dozen receivers whose full workout numbers were not available, but all of them have forty estimates lower than Gilyard's as well.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!



  11. #26
    DPskywalker is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    167
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Marty Gilyard

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Since the forty time has been brought up, I did a little look back at the receivers of the 2010 rookie class who were drafted. Of the 19 other drafted wide receivers, only two had slower forty times than Gilyard. In fact, the average forty time for those twenty receivers - Gilyard included - was 4.493. That number does not include forty times for half a dozen receivers whose full workout numbers were not available, but all of them have forty estimates lower than Gilyard's as well.
    Exactly. A 4.5-4.6 40 time for a 5'10 WR is molassis. Shockingly slow, honestly. Chris Long has about the same 40-time than Gilyard. SJ is faster.

    He is very quick, though, and runs solid routes.

    Isaac Bruce was slow, too. It doesn't really matter.

  12. #27
    VegasRam's Avatar
    VegasRam is offline Ram MVP
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,404
    Rep Power
    53

    Re: Marty Gilyard

    Quote Originally Posted by mikhal5569 View Post
    So far, Marty reminds me of pretty much every rookie wide receiver. All mouth and not enough production. Only time will tell how good the kid turns out to be, but let's keep in mind that it's only been three weeks.
    That's not really true. Yes he's a talker, but not in referencing his own skills. He's admitted several times he needs to study harder, as he still has a lot to learn.

    Aand the extra effort on his "one 7 yard" catch was significant. He's not very big.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Gilyard, Gibson push for playing time ..
    By MauiRam in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: -09-23-2010, 09:15 PM
  2. Rams' Gilyard Is Catching Up
    By r8rh8rmike in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -08-19-2010, 12:49 PM
  3. Gilyard Playing Catch Up
    By r8rh8rmike in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -06-11-2010, 01:24 PM
  4. Gilyard Shows Perseverance
    By r8rh8rmike in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: -05-01-2010, 09:07 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: -04-27-2010, 08:14 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •