Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Marty Schottenheimer

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Marty Schottenheimer

Marty Schottenheimer

I know he's not looked upon highly but the Rams are looking for a veteran coach to help rebuild the franchise. ala Dick Vermeil. He still coaches, stays active in football. He isn't a long term solution (2-3 years) but he could instill a system, hire the correct assistant coaches, help turn the team back around talent wise and if history is any indicator, put some wins on the board.

The key with Schottenheimer is that he knows how to build a franchise. In 3 years he had the Chargers winning their division and stacked with talent. He won in Cleveland, he won in Kansas City, he won in San Diego.

Second, he knows how to attract and develop quality assistants. Cowher, Edwards, Cameron, Dungy, Sparano, Cunningham, Mike McCarthy and Wade Phillips all worked under the guy. The Rams haven't had a coach for more than 4 years since John Robbinson. They need to develop a framework where they develop coaches as well as recruit from within.

Lastly, he knows how to win with the players he has. No excuses put forward, he develops talent and wins with it and wins quickly. When he was in Washington, he went 8-8 with Tony Banks as his starting QB for 14 games.

The next time Marty fails will be the first time he's failed.

San Diego Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Marty Schottenheimer

Please no Marty Ball
    ManofGod likes this.

GroundChuck is offline Registered User

You know, I don't dislike this ^.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Marty Schottenheimer

I know he's not looked upon highly but the Rams are looking for a veteran coach to help rebuild the franchise. ala Dick Vermeil. He still coaches, stays active in football. He isn't a long term solution (2-3 years) but he could instill a system, hire the correct assistant coaches, help turn the team back around talent wise and if history is any indicator, put some wins on the board.

The key with Schottenheimer is that he knows how to build a franchise. In 3 years he had the Chargers winning their division and stacked with talent. He won in Cleveland, he won in Kansas City, he won in San Diego.

Second, he knows how to attract and develop quality assistants. Cowher, Edwards, Cameron, Dungy, Sparano, Cunningham, Mike McCarthy and Wade Phillips all worked under the guy. The Rams haven't had a coach for more than 4 years since John Robbinson. They need to develop a framework where they develop coaches as well as recruit from within.

Lastly, he knows how to win with the players he has. No excuses put forward, he develops talent and wins with it and wins quickly. When he was in Washington, he went 8-8 with Tony Banks as his starting QB for 14 games.

The next time Marty fails will be the first time he's failed.
    I like Marty Schottenheimer. In fact, he was a guy I very much wanted when we ended up with Scott Linehan. He is an excellent football man and was successful throughout his entire career. Critics will point to his lack of playoff success, but this does not detract from his overall body of work. He's a disciplinarian, yet was never so rigid that his players didn't respect him. However, he is 70 years old, and I don't know if he's the guy you'd want in here when we are so desperate for stability moving forward and knowing he'd be a short term solution. Like you said, since John Robinson, the Rams coaching carousel has been crazy.

You've outlined a pretty good argument, though, and I've always respected Schottenheimer.
    viper likes this.

Ghost of Jim Everett is offline Registered User

Might as well get Brian Schottenheimer if you want Marty-ball.

Harry S. Truman is offline Registered User

The only things Brian shares with Marty is his last name and gene pool.

Marty's a proven winner who builds successful franchises. Brian's a crappy offensive coordinator who is likely to be run out of New York.

Marty wouldn't be my first choice either, but I've heard much worse suggestions.
    viper likes this.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I like Marty, but he has a long standing karma issue in the playoffs with some of the most heartbreaking defeats in NFL history ("The Drive" and "The Fumble").

That said, maybe Marty's bad luck would cancel out the Rams bad luck and we might have something. Kind of like two negatives making a positive?

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Cowher, Edwards, Cameron, Dungy, Sparano, Cunningham, Mike McCarthy and Wade Phillips all worked under the guy
    how old is the guy? but if he's got the cv. Let the best man get the job.

edit: just saw he was about 70. a little on the older side. Whether age is a factor is one thing, but i'd rather get a coach that we might have around for 5-10 years.
    Last edited by Ram Mar Ram; -01-05-2012 at 08:34 PM.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

id take him in a heart beat

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

He has a good resume, but I'm afraid he's not the answer for the Rams at this particular time.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Works for me if we don't get Fisher.
    viper likes this.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Like others have said, I wanted him instead of Linehan way back when, but at this point I don't see it being a good desescion to bring him in I (even if he wanted to). At his age, he may no longer have the fire that needs to burn 24/7 to be an NFL head coach.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

As I stated last week, he just won his first championship as a coach...in something called the UFL. He was essentially running the show out of a trailer in the Marriott parking lot. The man is the #6 winner (ALL TIME) in the NFL. When a man of this stature is doing what he is doing...I guess we have our answer about how he may not have the "fire" to still be a head coach.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

That's the UFL, his team literally had a one in four chance of winning the championship by just showing up lol.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

svh01 is offline Registered User

I would love him to our coach. He can build the organization into a winner and develop a coach to take over when he retires. If we don't get Fisher and end up with a coordinator, Marty could come in with a role like Parcells had with the Dolphins.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast